Archinect
anchor

Hey Piero! - Architect/developer

jbushkey

I can't believe I am going to align with you, but similar to you I started wondering if I would need to be architect AND* (pick one):

developer

engineer

builder

other

in order to live without constantly worrying about finances and layoffs.  I started doing internet searches and taking notes that are still in the very early stages.

John Portman - Atlanta - The original Architect/Developer?

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=4164  I have not read this yet.  Just posting a link to something related.

David C. Hovey FAIA - Optima - Chicago

http://www.optimaweb.com

Jonathan Segal - San Diego.  There are some threads about him on archinect.  Teaches at Woodbury's MArchRed program.

http://www.woodbury.edu/s/131/index.aspx?sid=131&gid=1&pgid=1469

I lost the original notes from last summer when I got rid of my Sony Laptop due to their horrible customer service.  The backup I made was corrupt.  If this thread continues maybe I will go through the remaining notes I have to see what is worth posting.

May 31, 11 2:32 pm
piero1910

I understand everything that you are trying to do, but the point is not only two or three architects doing it. It will change the profession. I t has to be more than 3 or 4 doing that idea. Because tell me how many architects want to make money. I am telling you this because tell me how many architects enjoy living in good houses as the ones that they design for rich people. Not many. I do not care what you say if you disrespectfully treat me because architects are the most pessimistic profession in the world. They never believe they are going to make something else.  Tell me something, what is the product that architects sell: a design or drawing? That is what you call business. Please, architects have to do more than that to progress. Architecture is too conservative in the way that they do business. If architects do not have a real estate developer, they would be stuck or trapped in nowhere.  Problem with architects is that they do something for someone else, and that person is the one who takes all the credit. What do they give or pay to the architect? They pay almost nothing to them, a little quantity that they should but architects do not care. They prefer living like crap in the streets looking for jobs. Architects are like slaves in the construction sector because they work longer than other ones. How many hours do civil engineers, general contractor or real estate developer work? Never like an architect.
Everything is risky in life. I just tell you something. That is how great minds succeed because other people do not believe in them that they can do it. Therefore, I just tell you we will see in the future. Who was wrong and who was right.

May 31, 11 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
piero1910

Tell me something else.

What is your solution for the architecture career? Because you are not going to tell me that architects live like kings right now. 

May 31, 11 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
piero1910

Read this article, because it shows that we need money to live right now. We are not in the past. 

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2008/07/10/do-what-you-love-but-money-wont-necessarily-follow

May 31, 11 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
tricks

That "article" "shows" nothing. It's some guy's short common-sense opinion piece full of more platitudes than a Coldplay single. 

May 31, 11 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

"...it shows that we need money to live right now"

LOL

I can get behind that idea

May 31, 11 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Hey Piero, do you mind if I ask what you studied/do? Are you an architect or engineer? (Or something else?) Just curious. I'm trying to figure out if you are - a) an architect angry at the fact that he doesn't make as much as the engineer on a project, or b) an engineer trying to justify to himself that choosing the more-money route over going to architecture school.

May 31, 11 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

piero,  do you run a firm?  do you have a license?  if the answer is no, do that first.  then go get a masters degree in real estate development or business, and then go revolutionize the fields of architecture and development.    come back here with a successful business model we can all follow, and the problem will solve itself. 

oh whats that?  you want to hypothesize, criticize, profess, and tell others how things should be done without doing anything yourself?  well then my friend, the word you're looking for is 'hypocrite'.

"i hate how everyone is getting so fat" as he shoved a donut into his mouth.

May 31, 11 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

I hereby initiate the supreme archinect challenge.

Start a thread that does not cause piero to re-re-re-re-relaunch into his diatribe about what architects must do. 

Piero everyone has been trying to tell you but you dismiss what they say without consideration or debate.  I am throwing in the towel.

May 31, 11 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: