Archinect
anchor

Americans at the AA

Aug 28 '13 3 Last Comment
NicoleA
Aug 28, 13 5:07 pm

Hi there everyone!

I'm a recent college graduate looking to pursue a professional degree in architecture. I do not have any background in the field. Of the many schools I am interested in, the AA is one out of the country (I'm in the US) that I continue to be curious about. 

Could anyone let me know about their experience as an American student in their program? Would I pursue the equivalent of of a US MArch I or, like the Cooper Union, pursue a BArch. How did the admissions process differ from US Schools? How does a degree translate to the American Licensing system and beyond? What is the financial 'situation' for international students? Acceptance rate for international students?

I'm sure there are plenty of other questions I should be asking. All input is welcome and appreciated. 

siesta
Aug 28, 13 10:33 pm

I also have a degree in an unrelated field and am pursuing architecture. I have dual-citizenship with America and Germany, so I was originally hoping to study in Europe. I researched this a bit, and ultimately decided to pursue an M.Arch in America instead. Schools in Europe don't seem to offer the three-year M.Arch degree--their master's degrees are for people who already have a B.Arch, even at places like the AA, Bartlett, and IAAC, which seem like institutions that are a bit more free-thinking.

Even if I were to get some preliminary education and experience here, and somehow get into a program in Europe, the truth is that I don't think their programs would be right for me. And I'm not interested in getting a B.Arch in Europe, because if I'm going to spend three years of intense education, I want to get out of it with a master's.

Not trying to dissuade you from making it happen--if you really want to do it I'm sure you can find a way. Just letting you know what I've learned from my brief research.

TED
Aug 28, 13 11:18 pm

UK schools require that your education is both Part I / Part II so any professional qualified programme will require that you have a professional degree or degree in architecture prior to starting your MArch.  Check this out for validating your UK degree award for US - its not pretty.

NicoleA
Sep 4, 13 8:21 pm

But I presume a second Bachelors in the form of a BArch is not unheard of. I don't mind the time investment. For the value of the school's pedagogy and experience, it's worth it.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading