Archinect
anchor

for profit M. arch degree.. are all accredited m.arch degrees equal?

awesomekeith

I posted earlier something about the new school in san diego which is a for-profit educational institution. I have received no feedback in 16 hours and have noticed threads bumping about older traditional universities, so im assuming that the new school is not necessarily what I am looking for on my architectural quest.  im posting again with a more general question.

is there any value or reason to attend a for profit institution for architecture? can anyone compare for-profit with private and public institutions with respect to architecture, job placement, effectiveness? My goal is to become enveloped in this profession I would like to become part of a movement or to start my own and be known for my designs, I want to design private houses when I am older. (I dunno if this differs from anybody else's goals) 

I came from a public institution for undergrad and I do feel 'better' than a for profit, (wow that's funny, I just preferred a public good over a private one I thought I was more libertarian than that...) however realizing that I did not get the best grades, that I am not getting any younger, and that I feel like I should not even be in school or pursuing school still. I thought that for profits could be good for a lower acceptance rate, cheaper(?), and ultimately get me to the same point. however, are all accredited m. arch degrees created equal?  

May 28, 13 10:55 pm
Given

Is it actually an accredited degree? I find it hard to believe that a for-profit institution would go through the trouble to accredit an arch. program, but okay whatever.

Anyways my answer is not to do it. For-profit institutions in general in the US are being exposed mostly as good ways to bankrupt gullible students. This compounded with the fact that there is already a huge glut of architecture grads means that your chances of getting a job from a lower tier school without good connections are not amazing. I know this is kind of depressing advice to get... I'm not saying to give up on the dream, but don't be yet another person tricked by a for profit college, there are already enough of them to justify a slew of exposés in major newspapers.

May 29, 13 10:20 am  · 
 · 
arri

Awesomekeith,

Do you have a undergrad degree in Architecture? Reason I ask is because you don't need a prof. degree to become licensed  There are a couple of state and jurisdictions that do not require a professional degree, California and DC being two that I know off the top of my head.

Since you sound like you know what you want to focus on in architecture (residential, housing). What has your research into public universities led you to hone in. Which public architecture schools?

My advice would be to is apply to schools that gives you the opportunity to build. Again, off the top of my head. Also, apply to schools that participate in solar decathlon on a regular bases.

Kansas U. http://studio804.com/index.html

Auburn U.  http://www.ruralstudio.org/

Your education is going to cost you a lot of money, so you must get out of it exactly what you want from it. If you don't know what you want out of your education don't go until you do. In the mean time try and get a job with a builder or a flipper.

Community college is a good way of getting exposed to other parts of architecture. Construction management and even Carpentery courses will help you in your career.

Good luck

May 29, 13 10:41 am  · 
 · 
awesomekeith

given- the advice you have given is not depressing, it's just what I was looking for. it's good to know what paths to not consider. it is an accredited for-profit, where im currently studying architecture for night school there's a list with all accredited programs including the school in question. your advice is perfect.

arri- right now I have a B.S. in economics I got at Arizona state university. that's good to know about the licensing, I feel like I would want to be a licensed architect so I have the most options of places to work and the most value to employers. does accreditation affect working internationally (probably not)?

I am glad that you picked up on my architecture goals, I probably was too specific. While I do want to work on residential and housing eventually. I would like to get my hands on everything that I can in beginning, especially large urban projects, I want to use architecture as a tool to help me contribute to the future of humanity. I am still learning about the profession, so I do not know the kind of breadth an architect has through out his career.

So far my research has led me only to schools in California, because that is currently where I reside and where the prep school I am attending has the most connections. However from what your telling me it sounds like I can gain a lot from the right institution elsewhere if I research effectively. I am going to research this solar decathlon as well. when you say schools that give you the opportunity to build, what do you mean? I will also look into some construction management or carpentry.

------

I am currently in an architecture night school program, and I will be applying to schools this December. I have been told to pay attention to the faculty, what are things to consider, look for; what are indicators that make a faculty rise above the rest?

I guess the most important things to me at this point in this order are: scholarship opportunities, cost, faculty, job placement, study abroad programs, and connections/relevance.

May 29, 13 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
gouthamsidharth.arch

Hi,

My name is gautham.I had applied at NJIT for my masters program in architecture.My gpa is 2.73 out of 4 , GRE 293 TOEFL 91.I have a pretty decent portfolio.What do u think are my chances .

I saw in the website that there is a 3 and a half year course for students with a non architecture related bachelores degree.But in my case I have one (completed 5 year b'arch program from Manipal Institute Of technology).So I was expecting to get a 2 year M'arch program.They said based on my portfolio and architecture background I may be able to complete it in less than 3 years.

Also If there are any students from NJIT I would like to know their experiences both academic and social.I heard Newark is a very scary and dangerous place.Since its march is it better to stay outside ?..I got admitted at New school of architecture and design at San diego ...A  private school.But my friends are asking me to wait for NJIT s decision since its a public college and an afiliated university.Is it worth the wait?...

Oct 31, 14 1:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: