Archinect
anchor

Aggregate Chicago

evilplatypus

^ I take the redline every day to Jackson. I havent seen 1 worker at the washington station ( superstation site) in the 2 years it will be shut down. At this rate - Washington may never reopen.

Jun 8, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

For the Helmut Faithful -

Some details of 600 N. Fairbanks:

North Curtainwall:

Da Bump;

Standpipe from FDC:

Pedastal FDC:

Corner Mullion:

Garage door opening header- my favorite:

Jun 9, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

let me repost that head detail

Jun 9, 08 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I guess I should add the tile joint/ sidewalk joint alignments

Jun 9, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

nice images evil!

Jun 9, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

If you closely, you can see Evil's reflection in the window...

Jun 9, 08 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
postal

synergy, you're right... i did a nifty enhance that only CSI employees have access to... and there he is. So evil, he makes a mere human being follow him around with a camera and take pictures for him!

Jun 9, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Another reason Chicago is better than NYC:

1 in 4 New Yorkers has Herpes

Jun 10, 08 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus
Jun 11, 08 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Bro - look at the Playboy sign on the Palmolive bldg.

Jun 12, 08 12:22 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Hugh flying from his Icey Tower in his black playboy jet to the left coast - what an image

somelocalspaceytripmusic

Jun 12, 08 1:01 am  · 
 · 
postal

sweet pic evil, thanks for posting

Jun 12, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
postal

sweet pic evil, thanks for posting

Jun 12, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Whats the architectural consesus on the Hancock Tower? Do the massive braces compromise the interior views too much?

Jun 12, 08 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Renewable

not at all, and those units with the diagonals are actually worth more $$$ with the signature "Angle".

Jun 12, 08 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Any thoughts on why this system hasn't been employed in more buildings?

Jun 12, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Theres really not too many 100 + story buildings plus the trussed tube has lost favor to high strength concrete for supertalls - concrete today in highrises wasnt even dreamed about in the 60's; At the time steel flowed freely and cheaply out of the Indiana steel mills so off the shelf as well as complicated fabrications could be had relatively inexspensive.

Jun 12, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
blah

The steel buildings don't have the mass to prevent them from swaying in the wind. 900 N Michigan is a concrete building on top of a steel one. That helps.

This is interesting:

Chicago is losing its middle class: report
By: Lorene Yue June 12, 2008
(Crain’s) — The Chicago area’s middle class is disappearing.
This group shrank by 14% between 1970 and 2005, according to a report released Thursday by Brookings Institution research group. The decline was above the average slide of 10.7% for the 100 metropolitan areas included in the study, giving Chicago the eighth-largest drop in the group.
The report defines middle class as workers who earn between 80% and 150% of their metro area’s median income.
The examination of the middle class was just one of the research areas that Brookings Institute included in its “MetroPolicy: Shaping a New Federal Partnership for a Metropolitan Nation” report. Other research categories include the gross domestic product per job in 2005, the number of people who have attained a bachelor’s degree in 2006 and the per capita carbon emissions in 2005.

Here’s how Chicago fared in the report:

•Gross domestic product in 2005 was $99,313 per job. It was the 17th highest amount and greater that the average of all 100 metro areas.
•Of adults 25 and older, 31.6% had a bachelor’s degree. That put Chicago roughly in line with the 30.6% average of all 100 metro areas.
•The disparity between workers at the top and bottom of the wage scale was the 10th worst of all 100 metro areas. The top 10% of employees earned 6.3 times more than the bottom 10% of Chicago’s workforce.
•Carbon emissions per capita in 2005 was 1.9 metric tons for Chicago area residents. That put the Chicago among the metro areas with the lowest emissions and beat the 100-metro-average of 2.2 metric tons per capita.
The report, which looks at the state of the country’s major metro areas, is part of a broader Brookings Institute “Blueprint for American Prosperity” program that calls for federal initiatives to help stimulate economic growth.
“We’re a metro nation, but we don’t act like one,” said Bruce Katz, a vice president at Brookings Institute and co-author of the “MetroPolicy” report. “We act like a Jeffersonian nation of hamlets and villages.”
What the country needs to advance, he said, is a cohesive front that capitalizes on the strength of each metro area.
“We don’t have one national economy,” Mr. Katz said. “What we have is a network of local economies. The (federal government) needs to empower metro areas.”

Chicago isn’t alone in losing its middle class. As expected, large declines were found in rustbelt cities of Akron, Ohio and Youngstown, Ohio, which have seen manufacturing jobs disappear over the decades.
But the disparity between lower and upper class also widened in prosperous metros such as Seattle, Los Angeles and San Jose. The San Jose area had the largest middle-class decline – 16.4% — according to the Brookings Institution report.
The only metro area that experienced growth in its middle class was in the Sarasota, Fla. with a gain of 1.7%.

Jun 12, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Concrete buildings are of course much stiffer than steel frame, but a massive braced frame like the one on the Hancock Tower should easily be able to mitigate the sway concerns. From a structural standpoint it's a very pure system. I'd prefer to design a global brace of that type over smaller chevron or x braces that repeat all the way up a single bay of a building. Talk about a nice sexy load path...

Jun 12, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Steel has other problems not easily overcome - shear lag - when racking forces are not sistributed evenly accross all the members in a structural plane - thats what the braces in the hancock do. But as you can sumise - the taller you go in a supertall, the more bracing and stiffening - so at a point around 60 storys the cost per story starts to increase exponentially for every floor compared to high strength concrete, which also experiances shear lag but is better at resolving it.

Intuitively however I think steel is the better material and new methods will eventulaly put it back in the for front. Its just so fast and clean, lightweight compared to concrete. What it lacks in stiffness I believe could be made up with internal stiffening methods yet to be invented and is proven to be the best at overcomming seismic rensonance.

Jun 12, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Yeah, I understand the structural, and financial implications of using Steel vs. Concrete, I was hoping to get more into your design perspective. Is it solely economic reasoning that has limited this design type? I imagine if a starchitect wanted a building with this look, the SE on the job could make it happen and the money required would be made available. I guess what I'm getting at is, is this look no longer popular?

Jun 12, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Wow... Barack Obama just Democratic National Committee from Washington DC to Chicago.

Jun 12, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Oops.... Got carried away. Insert the words "moved the" between "just" and "Democratic."

Jun 12, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

very cool

Jun 12, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
blah

There's a lot of democrats here in Cook County.

I guess it really is the Dem capital of the country so it's fitting.

Jun 12, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Theres blood in the streets, its up to my ankles
She came
Theres blood on the streets, its up to my knee
She came
Blood on the streets in the town of chicago
She came
Blood on the rise, its following me
Think about the break of day
She came and then she drove away
Sunlight in her hair
She came

Jun 12, 08 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Synergy - i suppose the money could be made available but a lot of the beauty in architecture I think is discovered in the process of rationaly selecting materials, methods and planning space. Its sort of unravels itself rather than is forced by the designers hand. I'm reading about Bruce Grahm and Fazular Kahn's profesional relationship and it's truely epic the way they rationaly thought out the buildings - structuraly, economicaly and contextualy. They very subtly coherced their almost spreadsheet like buildings into artistic arrangements. I guess they adhered to the Keep it Simple Silly philosephy to achieve stunning results. Very forign to many of todays big time architecture gurus.

Jun 12, 08 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

It's interesting that you posted the photograph of the coordinated sidewalk and tile joints on 600 N. Fairbanks. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people describe doing that when they are trying to convey how "fussy" or "exacting" architects are. Personally, I think it is really straight forward. It takes little to no additional time to construct when to doing the joints arbitrarily, yields better looking results, and properly done, actually has structural benefits as well.

Jun 13, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
postal

synergy, i think you're going to be well liked on this board...

Jun 13, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

99 thousand in chicago is very middle class.

Jun 13, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

When it comes to income brackets, is there some sort of standard age metric used? 99 thousand for a 25 year old just getting started is a lot different than 99 thousand for a 62 year old heading into retirement, no?

Jun 13, 08 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

In the 1950's Chicago embarked a plan to ring the downtown distric with 5 localaly designed. "ultramodern" parking garages to celebrate the new auto culture. Coutesy of the lynn becker blog I've posted a link to forgotten Chicago who does a really neat in depth article on these "visionary" structures. Its kind of funny looking back but at the time this was some classy stuff! Only one remains today -

forgottenchicago

Jun 14, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
blah

I had forgotten about forgottenchicago.com

This is fun:

During one of our visits, we found this Mary-Kate / Ashley Olsen doll passed out in a gutter, apparently having far too good of a time in Blue Island.

Jun 14, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Anybody visit the Old Town Art fair today, or planning to visit tomorrow? It's always a pretty selection of art, but I could do without all the drunks.

Jun 14, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

FYI - art fairs in Chicago are code for "getting drunk". Actualy anything outside in Chicago is code for "getting Drunk".

Jun 14, 08 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

aHahah agreed.

Jun 14, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

I saw the Incredible Hulk this evening at AMC river east and intentionally walked passed 600 N Fairbanks. I really like the north section that extends out over the neighboring building. Letdown, is there a legal issue involved with entering your neighbors airspace like that? Obviously it was cleared, but do you know what it entailed? Anyhow, great building.

By the way, Incredible Hulk is really entertaining, much better than its philosophical predecessor, if you enjoy such things.

Jun 15, 08 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
twee

this thread makes me miss chicago and makes me proud to be from there

Jun 16, 08 12:37 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Arrrrgh! Forgottenchicago.com was my idea!

A friend of mine, Kevin Walsh, runs the website Forgotten New York. Once upon a time, I thought it would be a cool idea to do a Chicago version of his site. Of course, I was too lazy to actually see it to fruition, so I'm happy to see that somebody else had the same idea.

I love the pic of the Hancock Center under construction.... That's always been my favorite Chicago skyscraper. Everything about it just says, "Yeah, I'm a huge fucking skyscraper. What are you gonna do about it?"

Jun 16, 08 12:54 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

That is a good, simple question, what is your favorite Chicago building? I'm going with the Daley Center, I really appreciate the plaza and the scale of the columns when you get up close to it.

Also, the taste of Randolph festival is next weekend, Mike Doughty is playing on Friday night, and the Drive-By-Truckers and Josh Ritter are Saturday and Sunday, not a bad line up for a stuff your face street fair.

Any other reccomendations for events coming up that shouldn't be missed?

Jun 16, 08 8:16 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

drive by truckers on everythang. maybe just dbt.

Jun 16, 08 9:37 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

photo from the ferris wheel 1893 Columbin Expo

Kids playing in the street on near west side ca. 1900

Jun 25, 08 12:23 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I was inspired reading Devil in the white city tonight; there was a descriptive passage describing the streets as being full of dead horses and street urchins. Then I found this photo seemingly reinforcing the image

Jun 25, 08 12:25 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Is this your first time reading Devil In the White City? I thought it was quite good.

Jun 25, 08 7:15 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

did anyone attend the som presentation of the olympic master plan? any thoughts? that photo makes me nostalgic for the good old days.

Jun 25, 08 8:08 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

i think i might have an unpaid parking ticket in Chicago...damn you think they will ever find me it was a rental car.

Jun 25, 08 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

As I recall the ticket was more than it cost me to rent the car for the day. You know one of those neighborhoods where you need a sticker to park....and well it was a friday night and I took a chance...
actually never saw a fricking sign or anything...just parked and walked twenty blocks to my destination. Hoping things are better today as it was over ten years ago.

Jun 25, 08 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I got a ticket near Clinton and delancy in NYC in 97 and they followed me for 5 years to everywhere I lived. i finally paid $300. i found out later NYC had General Dynamics, the jet fighter contractor, build there parking ticket software. Fuckers. Its about the only thing Big Citys get right anymore.

Jun 25, 08 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

umm I live in one of those neighborhoods with the permit parking... and even though I don't own a car, I appreciate the permits and what they represent. I understand why the people in my neighborhood want to have a permit so they can park their car and not have to constantly worry about their spot being taken. Remember, these are usually dense low rise areas were the building don't have garages. It's my belief that these people actually own less cars per unit than a suburban neighborhood, so I'll take the permit over suburban homes with 3 cars each or "high rise" buildings built on top of entire private parking structures.

Jun 25, 08 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Jun 25, 08 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: