Archinect
anchor

TU Delft - Housing

mc

I'm Heading to the TU Delft to pursue a Masters in August and have been scouring through the old threads. I'm starting to look into the housing situation and wondering if anybody who would have some info or any other good advice is still around the site. From the threads I have heard mixed results about DUWO and I'm thinking that I'd rather find a place on the open market... I have checked out kamerhulp but it seems that it is not really kept up to date. I'm going to keep searching but any other ideas would be appreciated. Are there any archinectors currently/planning on studying there?
Thanks

Jun 25, 07 7:18 pm
squaresquared

Try looking on kamernet.nl and also rotsvast.nl, though you have to pay them a realtor's fee. I found an apartment in Amsterdam through Rots Vast, and they were very helpful/professional. You might find something on craigslist, though it seems more geared toward temporary apartments in Amsterdam.

I'm hoping to get a job there next summer... I just got back from a trip to Holland and I'm itching to live there again.

Veel Succes!

Jun 25, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Network as crazy... It is really hard to find good / cheap housing in Delft / Holland.

Don't pay any fees upfront for housing unless you are absolutely sure they can and will provide with some options / houses /rooms.

Another common thing in Holland is sharing a house with room mates... it will cost you some privacy but you gain friendship and quite often the rent is less.

Jun 26, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
mc

Thanks for the Help! I will continue the search...

Jun 26, 07 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Sparks

MC, I'm looking for housing there as well since I will be studying there in the Fall. I assumed I would be taking the on campus housing for the first year because of the hassle free.

Jun 26, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Sparks

have you heard anything about Roland Holstlaan or Leeghwaterstraat?

Jun 26, 07 9:57 am  · 
 · 
postal

Congrats Sparky and Good Luck! You will have to report back to myself and lletdownl!

Jun 26, 07 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Sparks

thanks Postal. I most definitely will, and you might have to come pay a visit sometime and check up on me....make sure I'm getting work done over there.

Jun 26, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
mc

Sparks,
sweet, at least one other person... No, I haven't really heard much about the properties, but its my experience that housing run by the school has a lot of additional rules that are a bit absurd i.e. curfews, security checkpoints, guest requirements... I'd had enough of that after one year of undergrad... I'm thinking that if its convinient, I'd prefer to live in the city for a richer experience.

Jun 26, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Sparks

hmm I will ask Delft about rules and whatnot, that sounds like bull! The price of 360 euro seems like a deal living on campus though (it's cheaper than my place in Chicago).....but I would consider rooming with you if we can get a good place in the city not too far away from school.

Jun 26, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
BigAaron

I spent a semester at the TU as an exchange from IIT, back in 2002. You can PM me with any questions you might have.

Jun 26, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
.nl

I'm a native Dutchmen currently graduating in Delft, I've lived in Delft for two years. The most obvious to get student housing in Delft is through so called "instemmingen", which is basically were you present yourself in a student house to your possible future roommates and hope you get selected.

I personally think Delft is the most boring place on earth, small town with absolutely no decent nightlife whatsoever.

Another option is living in either Rotterdam or The Hague. Both a 10 minute commute by train away from Delft and a lot more affordable housing available. Plus they are much more interesting cities to live in and a lot of architecture students live in these cities.

Jun 26, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

.nl : go absolutely for Rotterdam....!

Jun 26, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
LameArc

yes, live in rotterdam. i had the option of studying in Delft for a semester and did some research. I have opted for Vienna instead, however, in my research, I have found that DUWO is not something to look forward.

Jun 27, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

when you are there don't mis the Rhinoceros in Architecture meetings if you can

Jun 27, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
onesandzeroes

it sounds like most of you are going (or have gone) to europe via study abroad programs. Out of curiosity, is anyone from the US actually going as accepted full-time international students?

If so, how difficult was this process for you and, perhaps more personally, what do you see as the main benefits of studying there?

Jun 27, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

hey i got a EU passport who an recommend me a place to study that will be free to get a 3 year masters so i can better apply for reciprocity

Deft?

Jun 27, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

Delft

Jun 27, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Sparks

.nl :

do the renting prices in Rotterdam compete with the 360 / month without the added convenience? or is that something to look into after one year of study there?

onesandzeroes:

It was actually easier for me to apply overseas because I didn't have to do a GRE and TU didn't require an application fee. But to answer your question further that might be a question for a different thread....in general a MArch in another country with the added experience I think will benefit a lot more esp. coming from the US.

Jun 27, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
.nl

Sparks:

The campus housing is okay, all rooms are quite large (don't know in which complex you got an offer) and a lot of students live there. I think it's most of all convenient if you got something lined up where you can move in immediately instead of finding something yourself which can be a royal pain in the.... Like you said you can always find something else later when you settled a bit. Prices in Rotterdam are around this price level as well.

Jun 28, 07 5:41 am  · 
 · 
mc

Thanks for all the posts. The idea of living in Rotterdam or the Hague or perhaps other areas of Delft sounds appealing to me. The question I have is which neighborhoods/areas in Rotterdam the Hague, and Delft would be the best place to live in? Which are the most convient to reach the TU by train, and which are the best suited for an expat architecture student?

Jun 28, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

@MC:
- in Rotterdam: avoid Zuid. Blijdorp, Nieuwe Westen is nice living and closeby Delft.
- The Hague: avoid Schilderswijk and Transvaal... Kijkduin is nice but a long way from Delft... (by public transport)

Jul 1, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

mc you are also expat(meaning you are EU citizen living outside EU)?

Yes Sparks it does sound very appealing for fulfilling NCARB IDP requirements so as to get reciprocity with out going the Board Experience route witch i hear is not so easy. As i can be a licecned architect in AZ now but not in other places. What is Europe's law on licensing and reciprocity?

Jul 1, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
mc

thanks for the advice Mac, I will look into those areas
Antisthenes,
I actually meant as an American in The Netherlands...

Jul 2, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
mo.

i am going to move to delft this year and i was kinda anxious when i heard that the deadline for accommodation has already finished and i can be on the waiting list of DUWO.

everyday, i receive an offer from kamernet.nl but in dutch :]

and today i have received an e-mail from DUWO (international office of TU Delft get already sick about me i think) and they told me that i can be accepted to Roland Holstlaan. the better part of Roland Holstlaan than Leeghwaterstraat is it has a laundry on basement floor.

you guys have found a solution about housing?

Jul 20, 07 10:03 am  · 
 · 
mc

Hi yasemin,

I haven't found a place yet either, i also have been scouring the kamernet e-mails, and it doesn't seem too hard to find a place if you are not too picky for a place. I'm also looking at options in rotterdam that were suggested here. I'm not going to be in The Netherlands until the middle of August and then I will see what I can find when I'm on the ground...

Maybe Sparks went for Roland Holstlaan?

Jul 20, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Sparks

I went for the Leeghwaterstraat because its newer and seems to be in better condition. Don't know about laundry though...maybe wash my clothes in the sink!

hey did you guys send in the tuition yet? August 1st is fast approaching...sheiza!

Jul 20, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
mc

the Leeghwaterstraat should definitely be convenient... ah, don't worry about the washing machine! The sink sounds perfect.

Nope, haven't I sent in the tuition, definitely going to wait till the last possible minute

Jul 20, 07 10:24 am  · 
 · 
mo.

the better part is laundry ok but of course i didnt mean that it makes there desirable just for that reason.:]

Leeghwaterstraat is newer and closer to TU Delft. i have sent a request to DUWO about it but i think someone else has to cancel first.

and for rotterdam, not far away- just 10-15 mins. by train, but i think it is better to choose rotterdam, if the train comes frequently.

i may either find the result when i go there.

and thats good to find someone going to TU Delft.

Jul 20, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 
sue18

HI
I've been admitted to the M. Sc. program in Urbanism at TU delft. Is anybody in for the same program this year?

Jul 23, 07 7:31 am  · 
 · 
pbednar

sue18:

i am too.

just looking for housing options, no luck just yet - unfortunately my admission came after the on campus housing deadline. oh well. im pretty excited about the school though.

whats your situation?

Jul 25, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
mo.

you can be join to kamernet.nl but unfortunately its not in english. you can easily find the meanings of those words. i think it is easy to find a space, especially if you do not care to share, cause everyday i receive at least 2-3 emails from kamernet.

Jul 27, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
pbednar

thanks, looked through kamernet and i found some ok options. rotterdam will be my option unless duwo gives me really spectacular offer out of the waiting list.

also looked through this whole thread - so mc, sparks, sue18 - anyone else going to delft this fall?

Jul 27, 07 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
mo.

what is that? i cannot cancel the given place by DUWO by myself. they say, i have to ask a permission from TU Delft!!

anyway, did anybody find a good place?

Aug 1, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
pbednar

hey guys.. anyone going for the Haarlem offer the international office offered today?

Aug 13, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Sparks

Still haven't heard from the TU office abut my guaranteed housing yet. Anyone going for Masters not heard from them yet?

Aug 14, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
pbednar

i did - only to hear that the guaranteed housing in delft already ran out - so they have a 'temporary' solution - housing in Haarlem. doesnt look too bad, 295 a month for a single room w. bathroom, kitchen and wifi. Haarlem is 40 minutes from Delft by train, but apparently TU will reimburse studets for the cost of a monthly commute train fee. (248 euro). as it was my last option, (no responses from kamernet.nl) i signed up yesterday.

Aug 14, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sparks

are you an international masters 1st year student? That kinda blows, I was hoping for the on campus housing.

Aug 14, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
pbednar

yeah, i am. same here, i was hoping for the hassle-free duwo housing. it became slightly more complicated. i dont know wat all you checked, but i couldnt get a single reply through online apartment searches (of course besides the "sorry for dutch only", or "full already" replies). strange you didnt get the email about haarlem though. i guess they sent it to me bc i was bombarding the intl office with emails on a daily basis :)

Aug 14, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
mc

wow, thats crazy, all the way to Haarlem? They couldn't get anything closer than that? I might as well live in Amsterdam... When you were applying through kamernet were you applying just to specific places in Delft or were you applying to any available rooms in places everywhere within a radius from Delft?

Aug 14, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
pbednar

i tried 15 places in Delft and 5 in Rotterdam. Obviously on a budget with rooms under 400 per month.

apparently this year there is a record number of international students coming to Delft and this number will be limited to ~550 until the university will be able to provide more housing.

were you able to find housing already?

Aug 14, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
mc

I'm in the same boat with regards to budget and to be perfectly honest I haven't even began looking for a place seriously. I didn't think it would be that difficult. Thanks for the info to see what I'm up against. 550? I'm sure thats gonna make finding a place in Delft next to near impossible without knowing someone. I think I'd better start looking for a bed... good luck everyone.

Aug 14, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Sparks

Delft got me a place at the Roland Holstin for 400 euro/month. They say it's a shared facilities. Anyone find anything with a cheaper rent? I would share a room with anyone on here.

Aug 17, 07 9:14 am  · 
 · 
mo.

DUWO has so many negative comment in forums and in some articles i found from net.

its so expensive, and i think its not fair that they make 1 year contract with msc students.

and if i dont cancel the offer before a month, i have to pay six weeks price! but when you say you want to cancel, they sent you to the international office. (by the way RH studios have no windows- as i saw in the plan drawing i found in their page)

and more, if i am not wrong, we should pay on 27th august to DUWO.

it is really hard to find an inexpensive studio from net, however, if you dont care about sharing, there are so many nice opportunities. sharing is logical but with who? thats the problematic part.

sparks, are you checking webpages that you can find rooms?

Aug 17, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sparks

I didn't look into it much. What I found so far is thats its hard even finding a place. Especially one with all the furniture and kitchen supplies, and internet. So I'm going to just stay with the housing they provide. It can't be all that bad...come on lots of people live there! and I wouldn't make big decisions on what people say on internet forums.

Aug 17, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
mo.

nice.

Aug 17, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Sparks

Anyone here at Delft yet living off campus still looking for a roomate? I'm up for it since I didnt make my housing deposit yet!

Aug 28, 07 7:15 am  · 
 · 
postal

sparky, aren't you already over there? you sleepin on a park bench?

Aug 28, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Sparks

I have a place through the school here but it reminds me of IIT dorms.

Aug 28, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
mc

I found a place in Rotterdam... There was another room empty for a minute but another student just rented out the other room. There has been a bunch of rooms on Kamernet in Delft lately but I've noticed they go extremely quick...

I just need to figure out which way is cheaper to commute Delft/Rotterdam... the bus or the train... Anybody have any thoughts???

Aug 28, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Sparks

woah mc, did you put money down on the place?

Aug 28, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: