Archinect
anchor

Help!what shall I do with my thesis topic?

Mayr

I really need help. our class is working on our research proposal for our thesis. My concept for my study is an expo trade center for agri-industrial products in Davao City.But I have no idea how to make my study to be strongly significant and unique. I don't know how it will be different from the existing trade centers. I can't quite come up something new,something that will have a great impact in my study.Could somebody give me some advise,pls?

Jun 22, 07 4:56 am
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

What are you interested in? Which architects' work do you like? What is the most interesting project you've done so far?

Jun 22, 07 5:01 am  · 
 · 
filo

it's like that feeling that you are looking for something, something that somehow is going to change it all, but the more you look the more you don't find, so change way of looking, maybe you are not even looking

Jun 22, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

perhaps incorporate a bat sanctuary

Jun 22, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

"My concept for my study is an expo trade center for agri-industrial products in Davao City."

here's your problem - that isn't a concept.
at best that's just the medium that you'll use to show your problem/solution.

what aga8x said...

Jun 22, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

you could always explore new forms of structural expression:

· 
el jeffe

sorry agFa8x

· 
el jeffe

quickly off the top of my head - the thing about trade centers/expos is that they sit dormant much of the time. perhaps at least a dual-use or multiple programmed structure? your thesis could then explore programming/use - take a look at the most recent thread about everyday urbanism but there are other threads on site - just search for them.

Jun 22, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

or you could use modularity to discover a way to house the masses:

Jun 22, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

Free Ramos - i like your thinking. promotes ecotourism and trade.

Jun 22, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

Yeah or your could check out the TCAUP Debate series on Everyday Urbanism...(everyday urbanism is bs)
its just a buch of dumb asses who are trying to figure out how they can invent the next planning theory, now the New Urbanism is hacking out its last breath...(thanks DPZ for filling in suburban America with more dense crappy development)

I would question the relevance of this thing that you are so interested in. Why is it culturally relevant, who is it relevant to, and how is it relevant? Should technology change the convention (the web, the sales pitch etc) Mobility is another thing everyone loves to role out for thesis, these things are on the move, kind of like an auto show? (can you tell I am not a farmer)
Maybe there is no need for a permanent structure, perhaps it operates more like a rock concert, maybe in a down town, the now abandoned super walmart, because the super super walmart just opened down the street....
you shouldn't be picking a building type to design, you should be finding questions that need answers, and if its the right question, you wont be able to answer it...but the pursuit is lots of fun, oh and hard work, hair pulling out agony...have fun with your thesis...

Jun 22, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

just looking at the davoa homepage many potential conceptual ideas scream out at me.

Jun 22, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i always try to be helpful when posting, and believe one of archinects best qualities is how it can often be an useful resource. but i think these types of threads, especially when it relates to thesis topcis, are dangerous. These are supposed to be highly personal, as it is something that you, as a student, is supposed to spend an enormous amount of energy researching, pondering, developing, implementing it, etc...so part of me wants to say "if you can't come up with a topic, you shouldn't be writing a thesis". But again, i always try to be helpful, so...

find what are you passionate about in architecture (ex.:seems like the site-specific social/cultural aspect)...what do you want to prove with your passion...(ex. that architecture can facilitate socio-economic changes in developing areas)...how can you demonstrate it (now pick a "project" such as an "expo trade center for agri-industrial products in Davao City")

meaning: your process for coming up with a thesis topic should be reversed...

Jun 22, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

I think what simples is saying is that you should be asking this question through a research process, and not a forum - Thesis research begins very broad -
Farms - Agro-mechanization - sales

research broad topics and then apply the concepts...but lots of people change their thesis topics because they start out to refined with one liners.
Also, becareful not to pick something that is going to bore the crap out of you critics, you want them to be engaged in your research, and act as your advocate - use there guidance and trust their instinct, you will probably be more successful....plus when the other critics gang up on you, they will get your back...

Jun 22, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

I think what simples is saying is that you should be asking this question through a research process, and not a forum - Thesis research begins very broad -
Farms - Agro-mechanization - sales

research broad topics and then apply the concepts...but lots of people change their thesis topics because they start out to refined with one liners.
Also, be careful not to pick something that is going to bore the crap out of you critics, you want them to be engaged in your research, and act as your advocate - use there guidance and trust their instinct, you will probably be more successful....plus when the other critics gang up on you, they will get your back...

Jun 22, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

A thesis is an opportunity to test an architectural idea. Like el jeffe said, what you have at the moment is a program, not an idea. Perhaps you are interested in how agricultural processes might act as form-generators? Or maybe your project addresses the industrialisation of the landscape? Or perhaps you want to make beautiful oil paintings and make the project about the historical romanticism of the rural?

Where are you Cathy? What do you think?

Jun 22, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

if i had a thesis to do over again i would incorporate the work of nikola tesla:

a good thesis usually has engaging personalities.

Jun 22, 07 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
binary

space dock on uranus

Jun 23, 07 3:24 am  · 
 · 
Mayr

I am really thankful to all of you for giving your comments and suggestions... that kind of act is already a big deal for me.and to think-wow!- it's overwhelming that there are so many of you who want to help me. I really appreciate it. I am sorry I just logged in right now because I don't have an internet access in our house.I have to go to downtown to get in to cheap internet cafes.

To agfa8x: I am interested in intelligent buildings, in mixed use design, sustainable, cost-efficient designs for structures,things like that...Architects' works-IM Pei's Bank of China, I like the way he designed a strong, elegant structure that cut costs.and the other one-I forgot the name of the building but it's in UK where it has falling water on its facade-it's amazing how that idea has lessen the temperature inside the building and minimized operational cost.

Jun 23, 07 5:13 am  · 
 · 
Mayr

To filo: well, you are frank.perhaps you are right that I am not looking because I keep on thinking too much trying to figure out what and where to look at. Thank you for enlightening me...I really should change my way of thinking. I am being desperate which won't do any good for my thesis.

Jun 23, 07 5:19 am  · 
 · 
Mayr

To Free Ramos and Xacto:i'm sorry but i am not interested in bat sanctuary...and I don't think that's what I'm looking for. I've already have an idea of where I would put my expo trade center in Darong, Santa Cruz, Davao del Sur. It's overlooking Mt. Apo, it's near in Sibulan River which is good for water rafting and tubing, it's near the highway, accessible to the town's port, it's green and it's unexploited, and it is so vacant-an idle land with very much potential which i think is perfect and much ready for development.

Jun 23, 07 5:50 am  · 
 · 
Mayr

el jeffe, indeed it's not a concept. thanks for correcting me...and Yes! you are right! That's what really the kind of thing that's really running into my head a dual-use or multiple programmed structure... i just did not know how to call it.I was thinking of making it an expo trade center and a resort at the same time so that the occupancy of the structure is more dynamic andthat it will be used all-year-round unlike most of the expo trade centers which only rely on bookings for exhibits.

Jafidler,sorry but I am not interested in housing. The previous batches in our course already have done a lot of thesis regarding mass housing. Our teachers are tired of it.Yet, I am considering Tesla...I think I should take a look on physics and search topics that could contribute big significance to my study.

Jun 23, 07 6:18 am  · 
 · 

there was a similar discussion about how to develop a beginning point for a thesis last week. (that's where the bat sanctuary tangent came in.) you're sort of having the same issue that ll was having: you need to begin to ask yourself ARCHITECTURAL questions.

there's no magic in the selection of a program. program is what a hypothetical client might bring to an architect. it's up to the architect to have a theoretical and practical position and process for attacking design so that the response to the client's needs has some intention and rigor behind it.

begin brainstorming a list of questions for yourself about all the implications of your project at the moment. write down any and all questions that occur to you. as you think about how you might answer these questions, see which ones have answers that are social, political, cultural, which have to do with the environment, etc. are there questions which can only be answered through an architectural response? those are the ones that you want to follow up.

Jun 23, 07 6:26 am  · 
 · 
Mayr

by the way, jafidler, that geodesic dome is very motivating....so revolutionary especially during the time of that designer...thank you!

Caffeine junky, you're quite right...your advice are much of a guidance for me.Thank you so much, and yes, I could tell you're not a farmer ...even without knowing you personally, you give me an impression that you're really a very good architect.the expo is not for auto show. i intend it for agri-industrial products since agri-industries, next to agriculture, is one of the top industries in the region.those products are much delicate than electronics, cars, clothesline, artworks and other things that are usually showcased on expo trade centers.

Jun 23, 07 6:51 am  · 
 · 
Mayr

simples, thanks......

Jun 23, 07 6:55 am  · 
 · 
Mayr

steven ward, thank you. i shall take note on what you said.you're indeed helping me a lot.and so are all of you guys who post their comments, thank you really. with all your comments and suggestions, they're leading me to the right track in working for my study.
I really appreciate your kindness. I am thankful to all of you because even if we are strangers to each other, you don't hesitate to share your knowledge, your views, your advice.
I hope you all don't get tired posting your comments.

Jun 23, 07 7:10 am  · 
 · 
Mayr

vado retro, Davao really has a lot of potentials, right? Still very availabe for a lot of development...

Jun 23, 07 7:17 am  · 
 · 
kellynsee

davao has a ton of potential. my dad goes there almost always for business and i have some classmates from davao.

i love love love love durian. hahahahaha. guess which part of the world i'm from :)

where do you go to school cathy? maybe i could help :)

Jun 24, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

hi Cathy. it seems to me that the agri-industrial expo program you're pursuing could lend itself to a wide open and very large floor plan, wihch in turn could be conducive to space for farming. if you chose to include program for the very agriculture which the technologies you're exhibiting will be used, you could start an interesting programmatic dialogue, and create a constant use for the building. maybe plant the roof, or introduce some space for the research and development of your agri-industrial technologies.

a good friend of mine in school had an urban expo, and he didn't approach the program with a specialization as you have, and i think you will benefit much from it. the main problem, however, was integrating it into its context, given that the main function of 'expo' was for infrequent use.

good luck Cathy, it sounds like a great project!

Jun 25, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: