Archinect
anchor

ever feel like you are just a shitty designer

I doubt it.

May 17, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i didnt read all the posts.... but it's called motivation....... sure, we can do alot but if there's no motivation then you wont get shit done.....

and make sure f3 and f8 are not on

b

May 17, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am glad confidence works for you then, i on the other hand am motivated by my doubt. Pollack's alcoholism was probably fueled by his doubt. perfect confidence leads to vindpust and i dare say a few others that are not so introspective, like some that post here.

stephen, i find you impenetrable; on the one hand your voluminous discourse on piranesi is endlessly fascinating - i would love to buy your book - on the other hand any attempt at trying to have a dialogue with you regarding the topic, stops at the initial query. your perfect knowledge in that area makes any opportunity to glean something new and useful not worth my time. i feel stupid for even asking you a question, that the mere nature of my question is a waste of your time.

May 17, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

introspection and doubt do not guarantee alcoholism or drug addiction. oh by the way my thesis was called "doubt, ambiguity and madness."

May 17, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I often feel like compensating for others bordom , that my privileage is newer to be bored doing what I do but delivering that so others can comsume my works to kill boredom.

May 17, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

no, no guarantees, but i tell you what my doubt has brought me to the edge, and has been a source of motivation. i can't imagine perfect confidence in knowing that what iwas doing was right, i mean what's the point, where is the motivation?

May 17, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

that's a good 1000th post, vindpust. it's a little perverse, but i agree.

May 17, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

SK,
See what I mean about inevitable realities.

To be honest, I occasionally think about your quest for knowledge and how I once answered you. Nothing's perfect, and I'm hardly impenetrable. In fact, I'm much more transparant than most, but I always make the effort to design my transparency (here). Also, keep in mind I like to adhere to the adage 'so the question, so the answer'.

Didn't Stourley Kracklite commit suicide?

May 17, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

We can't all have the same motivation right ?
So for me when a project is over it leave me cold, acturly when I realise it is finished I don't want to see it ,then come a short periode before I get engaged compleately in the next. My motivation is something I look for after even after many different projects, and when I find it it alway's has something to do with beauty.

May 17, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"Nothing's perfect,"
I do not agrea.

May 17, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

vin, you don't agree with ANYTHING.

May 17, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
"the cure for boredom is curiosity; there is no cure for curiosity."

- i have no idea

May 17, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

whats so bad about being bored.

May 17, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Nothing wrong with being bored (some is probably good). It's complacency that's dangerous.

It's the hunger to learn more and be better that drives most good designers/artists, which probably leads some to never be comletely satisfied with their work.

Find that hunger.

May 17, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
+i

i feel like a good designer today. i just got selected by my office (we all voted) to go to a design conference based on a design i presented. im so excited.

i fear that the design will become so dilluted it wont even exist once the conference is over though...

May 17, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

learning is so overrated. whats on tv?

May 17, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
+i

the OFFICE! watch big boobie enhancements and erratic female corporate types. ah, serenity

May 17, 07 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

vado, have you read this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Madness-Modernism-Insanity-Literature-Thought/dp/0674541375

a professor of mine had this as part of his reading list and i have been meaning to get it for a while, perhaps now is the time.

May 18, 07 8:18 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the office is just not funny. of course i haven't read it. i don't need to read it as i spent several years consumed by the topic.

May 18, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 

i have that book and i even read it. hardcover is about 4" thick. primarily about schizophrenia. tough read. one of those books that's interesting/fascinating, makes lots of connections, and provides lots of a-ha moments but, ultimately, doesn't provide much information or inspiration that you do anything with.

May 18, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 

"lauf, your site always confuses me and makes me feel inadequate.

what IS it? it's like a big sticky spiderweb of information that sucks me in. but after getting sucked in, sometimes for longer than i can spare, when i close it i have no understanding of what i saw or what relevance it had to anything."
SW

"stephen, i find you impenetrable; on the one hand your voluminous discourse on piranesi is endlessly fascinating - i would love to buy your book - on the other hand any attempt at trying to have a dialogue with you regarding the topic, stops at the initial query. your perfect knowledge in that area makes any opportunity to glean something new and useful not worth my time. i feel stupid for even asking you a question, that the mere nature of my question is a waste of your time."
SK

"I see a pattern."
SL

May 18, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 

intentional impenetrability?
SW

May 18, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 

If you really look at the situation, I'm the one that is trying to penetrate, and 'intentional impenetrability' is more often than not what I face.

May 18, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

i'm gonna assume when you say 'a-ha moments' you're not referring to my favorite norwegian new wave band and therefore won't bother with that book.

May 18, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: