Archinect
anchor

Architectural Outsourcing

actmat

To The Profession,

I am a fairly recent graduate from an Undergrad program and currently have found a fantastic job as a designer (no joke) with a smaller firm (8-10) people.  I love my job and know I am beyond fortunate to have it, but I still am constantly asking myself "What happens next?"  There are a lot of things being said in the profession and I'm not sure what to listen to.  I am currently completely IDP hours and going through a certain state's apprenticeship path to getting listened but it is not in the geographic location that my fiance and I would like to settle down.  This has left me asking questions about what do I do?  Do I leave this state and effectively force myself to go back to school and put up thousands of more dollars to get an MArch in the hopes of getting another job and ultimately opening my own firm someday?  Or do I find another way to be a part of the profession I love without the upfront financial risk that the current system dictates?

It is from these thoughts that I find myself with numerous questions, one of which is the reason for my posting and need for advice.  What is the profession's overall outlook, need, demand for the outsourcing of certain work?  We all know that numerous firms outsource tasks such as renderings, whether it be due to time, workload or otherwise but what about several other tasks?

I guess, really the question I am asking is what are people's thoughts on the idea of starting an Architectural Service business that provides multiple services to supplement the work and designs of many firms that do not have the time or manpower to do these things themselves?

Sincerely,

An Aspiring Architect In Need of Guidance

Aug 5, 12 11:52 am
Ramon Luc

I think it's possible. Why not outsource something which can be done with less budget, and possibly the same quality. But it is difficult to find a good outsourcing firm. A firm which understands the complexity of preparing CDs and DDs in cooperating the codes of that area. 

Nov 18, 16 2:21 am  · 
 · 
Nats

The problem with doing outsourced work is you will generally get all the rubbish that architectural firms dont want to do like cad monkey stuff whilst they keep the nice projects themselves. An exception to this is stuff most architects cant do like rendered visuals, complex planning liaison, building control certification, construction.

Aug 3, 17 7:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: