Archinect
anchor

Berkeley [IN] ARCH Summer Program 2011

edwavila

Will anyone be attending the Berkeley [IN] ARCH summer program or know of the program and what it has to offer. Looking for a peaceful path to Berkeley. 

May 3, 11 8:43 pm
cadenceM3

I'll be there this summer. Are you attending?

May 19, 11 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
CalSpy

I was accepted, and want to go, but I can't imagine justifying quitting my job (esp. in this economy) and splurging $8K (considering all expenses over 2 months). How are you guys looking at the situation? 

I have a few friends who graduated from Berkeley B.Arch and M.Arch, and they say it's a great program with access to all kinds of resources and information. 

I'm torn and terrified. Any thoughts/suggestions? 

May 19, 11 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
cadenceM3

CalSpy,

Didn't you have to have reserved your spot already? I think the deadline to reserve your place was May 6.

It was a pretty easy decision for me. I am a business major at Cal Poly and I have very limited experience in the field. I realized if I want to go to a good school, this is the best path for me. Sure it's expensive but it's not splurging, it's investing in yourself and your future.

The fact that I don't have a serious career job yet made my decision a lot easier too. I just got a leave of absence for the time I am going to be gone for my college job.

I obviously don't know your situation, but for someone like me who is a non-art major and has a very sparse portfolio, I don't really see any alternative.

Best of luck!

May 19, 11 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
CalSpy

Cadence - thanks for your input, it really helped. My 'situation' is that I was lucky enough to get a serious career job right out of college, but it has become clear to me over the course of the last year that it's not for me and nothing fascinates me more than architecture and the built environment. I've made the decision to go to [IN]Arch, so I'll see you there =)

The next question (to anyone reading this thread) is - what's the best way to finance the program?? Credit/savings combination is all well and good, but I wonder if non-uni students can take out student loans for this sort of a thing (the interest would be MUCH better!) ... or if there are other options available.

May 22, 11 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
rikakire

Hi,

ok, I've been lurking on this website for years maybe, but this is my first post!

I'll be attending [IN]ARCH with you guys in a month. I am a rising senior Japanese/Molecular Bio major, but I've always loved Arch. I've always seen myself doing Arch. I took a few studios and just found that they were too time intensive for me to pursue anything else during undergrad, and I was serious about continuing other things I enjoyed.

I'm a little concerned about this program - but hey, even if I absolutely hate it, I will learn a lot: that architecture is not for me and I never have to consider it in the back of my mind again. In terms of finances, I'm putting most of my savings towards this program, but I think it will be worth it, no matter what the outcome.

It is hard to get excited about Arch when I read a lot of the comments on here about no pay, no work, etc, but I admire people who do what they really love. There is a good chance that I will apply to medical school next year and become a doctor, and I won't love my job, but I will be able to support myself and a family, etc.

.. but before I resort to that, I want to try this (because I'll probably love it).

Look forward to seeing you guys there!

May 23, 11 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
edwavila

@ everyone posting on this blog. Has anyone found a place to stay, or willing to save money by sharing space, or have any suggestions?

May 23, 11 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
pasterling

hi all,

first post.. i'll also be with you at [IN]ARCH soon. it's exciting and heartening to hear about all these different interests and backgrounds - it should make for a great program. my undergraduate studies were in english, art and american studies, and i've worked in everything from carpentry and farming to layout design at a magazine, but i've always loved architecture and felt that now was the time to test my interest. 

@ edwavila - i'm living in san francisco right now, but work part of the week in berkeley, so i'll try and ask around about housing options. 

looking forward to meeting everyone soon! 

May 23, 11 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
rikakire

I don't have housing yet - I've been mailing a few people who have posted really cheap sublets on craigslist, but no response..

I would definitely be interested in splitting a sublet to save some money!

May 24, 11 11:52 am  · 
 · 
cadenceM3

I applied for dorms (Unit 1 or 2) but I was placed on the waitlist as they were already full. Right now I'm waiting for a housing offer from the International House, which is super close to Wurster.

I wanted something on campus with a meal plan so I can be as close to Wurster as possible and not have to worry about food. The regular dorms and I-House have specific rates for Session C so I can move in the day before InArch starts and move out the day after it ends. The other housing options I've looked at are only available monthly which wouldn't work out for me as I don't get out of school until June 10th and I don't want to be up there with nothing do wasting money after InArch ends.

Here are the options that university housing sent me when they notified me of my position on the waitlist:

Summer Visitor Housing
http://www.housing.berkeley.edu/conference/summervis_index.html

International House:
http://ihouse.berkeley.edu/

Berkeley Hostel
phone: (510) 849-4800
email:  info@berkeleyhostel.com
web:  http://www.berkeleyhostel.com/

Berkeley YMCA
phone: (510) 848-6800
email: residence@baymca.org
web: http://baymca.org/dt.aspx

Berkeley Student Cooperative:
http://berkeleystudentcooperative.org/

Tau House:
http://www.tauhouse.com/

Westminster House:
http://www.westminsterhouse.org/

Cal Rentals (sublease an apartment)
phone: (510) 642-3644
email: homeinfo@berkeley.edu
web: https://calrentals.housing.berkeley.edu/

Gorrill House:
http://www.g-house.com/fall_index.html

Hope this helps.

May 24, 11 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
CalSpy

You guys are getting me so excited about the summer program! Sounds like we're on close wavelengths.

Campus housing options are great and convenient, but tend to be very expensive. Would anyone on this thread be interested in getting together and renting out a cool house somewhere in the North Berkeley hills for the summer? Berkeley dwellers tend to leave to travel for the summer, so there might be some great options out there. We could save a ton of money and live in an unbelievable setting that wouldn't otherwise be feasible if we did it individually. We'd have our own [IN]Arch house!  

...I'm such a dreamer =)

May 24, 11 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
rikakire

I would be totally up for that. I don't really know the area so I'm not sure if I trust myself to just go on craig's list and get something.. which is my current plan.

I'm looking to spend a max of $900 on rent for the two months which is not much, but I figure that a. we will probably be in the studio all of the time anyways and wont have to come back and sleep much and b. i don't really care about sharing a room with multiple people. I'm already going to have to keep paying my rent in Philadelphia, so might as well.

CalSpy - I don't know how to private message on this thing.. but yes I would be interested in a house or even just splitting a room

May 24, 11 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
edwavila

@ CalSpy, rikakire, cadenceM3----we have never met, but i would down in sharing space for the summer, I am like everyone...leaving things behind that still need to be paid, so saving money is ideal, also willing to share space and apt. 

my email is eavil1@gmail.com

I have already started looking but no responses from many. Anyone can hit me up to really discuss this, I am down for an all [IN] Arch house. I too have a max budget of 900-1000 for the months for rent.

May 24, 11 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
CalSpy

Ok, looks like so far 3 of us want to share a space - edwavila, rikakire and me. I'll look around for what's out there tonight, I know the area very well. If anyone else is interested, give us a shout on this thread. 

May 24, 11 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
CalSpy

PS. This is totally non-binding for now. We can pitch options and decide whether to take them or leave them. 

My email: aabelfedorova@gmail.com

May 24, 11 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
rikakire

rikakire@gmail, emailing you guys right now!

May 25, 11 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
rikakire

rikakire@gmail, emailing you guys right now!

May 25, 11 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

Hello!

We have a room in a great house available in North Berkeley (Gourmet Ghetto). We have an amazing kitchen, a very small dog, a garden, nice place to spend the Summer. I'm an M. Arch student at Berkeley entering my thesis year and my fiance' is entering the M. Arch program as an Option III. We both work in San Francisco... if you are interested send me a note : mbergin at berkeley dott edu.

May 27, 11 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
freeagent

1st posting. / / Hello all.  Wow, great to find a few heads popping above the water.  I'll be there.  

Really relevant question -- does anyone plan on working (evenings) during the program?  I can't see how else to afford it, but all the same, this is THE critical time to devote as much as your energy as possible to create a decent portfolio and experience that will encourage strong application to M.Arch programs.... that is, if you confirm that Architecture remains a worthy path!

Jun 1, 11 2:53 am  · 
 · 
CalSpy

Freeagent, if it's at all possible to put off work for two months of the program, do it. As you say, it's critical to focus on the program, building your portfolio, and getting the most out of summer school. 

Jun 8, 11 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
freeagent

thanks for the backup, calspy.  the (loud) voice in my head has been advocating no work.  i can't quit my job at this point, but they are willing to keep me on with one 8 hour shift (or two half shifts) of work a week. preferably sunday, so i don't miss any optional events.

Jun 13, 11 7:22 am  · 
 · 
aorukaya

Hello everyone, 

You are all probably doing the program now at Berkeley! Congratulations. I saw this program too late and am hoping to apply for summer 2013. I was wondering if I could get some comments on the following:

1) Is it competitive to get into the summer program? The requirements I see online is an application form (which I can't view now and don't know what contents other than the basics are included. ex, is there a statement of interest essay required?), a resume, and an university transcript. So how do they evaluate the applicants?Is it fairly easy to get accepted once you meet the basic requirements?

2) I would greatly appreciate it if you could continue to post and share your experiences studying the summer program at Berkeley. 

Thanks so much!

Aug 7, 12 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
architect_hp

I know this thread is probably moot now lol....but I'm a prospective IN ARCH candidiate.....I applied during the latter half of April and I still haven't heard back from them. Can anyone tell me around when they mail decisions to you? Also, I have the same doubt as aorukaya....how hard is it to make it to this program? The course descriptions and online resources don't really tell me much. I did submit all the materials - essay, transcripts, TOEFL etc (I'm an international student in India finishing B.Arch). What are the general chances like? I'm really keen on going there for graduate school!! Any advice would be super helpful! Thank you!

May 5, 15 9:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: