Archinect
anchor

Where in the world would you like to work?

CultureofCon

If you were an adventurous, recent graduate without any geographical tethers, where in the world would you  want to work?

Jun 8, 12 1:15 am
Rusty!

Indiana-Michigan border.

Jun 8, 12 1:21 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

New York.

Jun 8, 12 6:42 am  · 
 · 
MStrack

Ha Noi, or really anywhere bigger than where I live now.

Jun 8, 12 8:21 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Detroit.

Jun 8, 12 10:40 am  · 
 · 
fullofit

I've heard good things about australia, I think you can work there pretty easily for 6 months without a big visa hassle. There's a thread on here somewhere about Norway having jobs and paying well, that could be cool to check. If the economy was better I would go to spain, because I like the food and the culture.

Jun 8, 12 11:08 am  · 
 · 

My dream was Germany. I went to London for a few years first, but eventually got here. 

Should I  have a chance to be a fresh, untethered grad again, I will go to Tokyo. 

Jun 8, 12 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

My dream was Spain, thats not happening...

Jun 8, 12 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

My dream was always San Francisco - I am here working - but I am broke as hell

"be careful what you wish for, you just might get it"

Jun 8, 12 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Onigiri

Switzerland or Canada / Quebec for me. I like cold countries. 

Jun 9, 12 6:02 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

Rotterdam

Jun 9, 12 8:22 am  · 
 · 
LOOP!

India.

Jun 10, 12 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
sldjsg

Seoul, South Korea

Jun 10, 12 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

Definitely Dubai. It's a bit hot, but you can see  and if you are lucky may be even work on some of the most fascinating architecture projects. 

Jun 29, 12 10:20 am  · 
 · 
orion

The Moon or Bali

Jul 6, 12 2:29 am  · 
 · 
herrarchitekt

Anywhere with sustained, organic innovations in the built environment (not just buildings) =  Europe - more specific?  Germany, Scandinavia (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki) in my personal experience.  Asia qualifies as well, but my foreignness does not allow me to blend in and experience as easily as in central Europe.

Jul 11, 12 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

New Zealand, for sure.  Though I like orion's take - the moon, or maybe Europa (Jupiter's moon, not the EU).

Jul 11, 12 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

My dream is Paris, France...being broke for a while will do the soul good

Jul 12, 12 1:04 am  · 
 · 
chancla7

Hong Kong

Jul 12, 12 5:17 am  · 
 · 

Vienna in 1890.

Jul 13, 12 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

Newbern, Alabama

Jul 13, 12 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

You've piqued my curiosity, Rand.  Newbern, Alabama, because you love gorillas?

Jul 13, 12 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

ALLEGED gorillas! It is where Rural Studio is. It was a great academic experience to design and build an actually project while learning, and there is still a type of freedom out there that must negotiate financial constraints.

Jul 13, 12 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

15th century japan, but with toothpaste.  did they have toothpaste back then?  i kind of doubt it.

Jul 13, 12 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

@curtkram
They have something, maybe uric acid to get a nice white smile. 

Jul 13, 12 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

LB42

Jul 13, 12 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
CultureofCon

DAMN!  By the looks of it, I should have jumped on this Moon base competition so I'd have a good portfolio builder!  

http://www.shiftboston.org/competitions/2010moon_entries.php

Now, I'm afraid I'll never be a moon architect :(

Oh well... I guess my second choice would be the Caves of Lascaux 15,000 B.C. and I'd bring a couple cans of spray paint and blow those cave dwellers minds!

Third choice.. you know... if I didn't have the money for a time machine... would be Australia.

Jul 13, 12 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
StudioR

new york. new york.

Feb 26, 15 4:01 am  · 
 · 

Tonga.

Feb 26, 15 9:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

2012 apparently.

Feb 26, 15 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Venice, it is so quiet it is amazing

Feb 26, 15 9:51 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

apparently, all of you really like to work, no matter where you are

Feb 26, 15 10:05 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

My 'bigger dream' is a mobile studio/office on a large ship where you could move around the world at will.  Basically, think mid-sized firm on a retrofitted old sailing cruise liner.  You could be anywhere, fly clients in to meet you, take them out for a week long charrette/cruise, etc.  something like this:

Feb 26, 15 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

^love the idea, a bit impractical; you would have to have a crew for the boat and basically hire only single people.

Feb 26, 15 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what about a hallowed out volcano lair?

Feb 26, 15 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

As a recent MArch graduate: New York (where I am now), but I've also spent plenty of time fantasizing about Los Angeles (did a long co-op there), Portland, and London. Of course, all this assumes that money and geographical tethers are not factors.

Once money and geographical/family tethers are factored in, and once I reach a point where I'm ready to start thinking seriously about starting my own practice, I'd consider going back to my hometown of Cincinnati. I'm quickly reaching an age where I'd like to own my own home (never gonna happen in NYC unless I marry rich) and easily escape the city on weekends, I already have a decent network of potential clients in Cincy, and an ambitious startup firm could potentially carve out a decent niche for itself in a smaller market dominated by more corporate firms.

Feb 26, 15 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The ship would be a good idea for a naval architect's office as well! When I was in Belize on a vacation there was a large four-masted schooner anchored offshore and visible from our hotel room. It was the Pantome, one of the Windjammer ships. Later I learned it was lost trying to reposition out of the way of a hurricane with all lost. Only the crew was on board.

Feb 27, 15 8:26 am  · 
 · 
Pixar

New York.. India...Italy

Mar 2, 15 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Just returned from a visit to Cape Town, South Africa. I think that's definitely on the horizon for me now. Incredible place!

Mar 2, 15 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

I would work in Norway... 

Mar 2, 15 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Tralfamadore.

Mar 2, 15 11:11 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i can't speak to the accuracy of this, but here is a picture of tralfamadore from the interents (and the internets never lie)

quite similar to what google is proposing for their new campus.  this might not be a coincidence.

Mar 2, 15 11:26 am  · 
 · 

There are several variations.

Mar 2, 15 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
green man

Without any doubt dubai.More because i like its architecture and the country.

Mar 2, 15 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: