Archinect
anchor

Architecture in the movie Brazil

SuperHeavy

A long time fan of the movie Brazil, I have long wondered what the story was behind the apartment complex Sam Lowry lives in. This morning I saw an interior shot of Ricardo Bofill's Spaces of Abraxas project and thought it was a spot on match. Have I solved my mystery, are they one and the same?

Jan 10, 07 1:40 pm
brandonmhorn

yep, you solved it, you big genuis you.

Jan 10, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ha ha ha. I knew you had started this thread before I even opened it.

Jan 10, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

yup, that's correct:

Brazil -- 1985
"Occasionally, the way in which a particular piece of (modern) architecture, for instance, is used and presented in a motion picture endows it with meaning and thus interprets it. It is telling, for example, that Terry Gilliam chose Ricardo Bofill's wildly 'postmodern' 'Palace of Abraxas' near Paris as the quite unpleasant home of the protagonist in his dark dystopian fable Brazil (1985). This kind of reception outside of the academic discourse should indeed be of interest to art & architectural historians, especially since reception studies are grossly underdeveloped in our field."
- Dietrich Neumann, Brown University

http://personal1.stthomas.edu/cdeliason/ahgttm8modarch.htm

Jan 10, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: