Archinect
anchor

The Opposite of Office Annoyances

jones

I once worked with an architect who could draft large scale details upside down...so while meeting across the table he could go into drafting these details so they read right side up for you, nine times out of ten you could print it out on vellum and lay it over his sketch and there wasn't too much difference in his hand detailing UPSIDE DOWN!

While that might be annoying for some people, that always can make me smile.

So, let's have it----anything people do in your office that help you through the day?

Aug 23, 06 4:14 pm
AP

one of our AA's has a boisterous laugh that makes me smile each and every time I hear it - regardless of my mood.

Aug 23, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a guy i work with laughs just like precious pup.

Aug 23, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
ham sandwich

my boss looks like a mouse.

Aug 23, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

one of my principals is quite fond of sweets, pastries and the like. in spite of or perhaps because of his acknowledged feelings of guilt associated with eating the french delicacies with which he's so enamored, he brings extras for me.

he thinks i could stand to gain a few pounds, so almost every day it's either a little plum tart, or a cannele de bordeaux (!), or today a package of HIT cookies.

could be worse i guess...and it spices up my lunch of fruit cup & rice/beans.

Aug 23, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i love the older gentlman in my office who uses the "ADDFEET JUNIOR"

Aug 23, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

my boss just bought me a fantastic lunch at a beautiful italian place...

Aug 23, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

One of my bosses has daily shouting fits at his computer because it's not working fast enough. It's really entertaining.

Aug 23, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

the free food at my office is better than anything that has ever been in my kitchen.

Aug 23, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Starbucks twice a day, courtesy of the other boss.

Aug 23, 06 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
babs

Wow ... this is great ... people actually saying nice things about their bosses.

Aug 23, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

i took time without pay but my boss forgot and paid me for a two week period.

i called it to his attention and he said 'well i'm not going to take your check back.'

Aug 23, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I have the best workstation, even though I am a newbie!

Aug 23, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

one of my bosses has a really hot daughter.

Aug 23, 06 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
James Mayers

the guy I work with saying "super duper" and "okie-dokie", generally in quick succession, as a way of signing off in phone conversations...in a German accent... makes me smile, and is slightly better than petting an imaginary hedgehog sitting on the desk....

Aug 23, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

one of my bosses got two adorable children, whenever they're in the office, playing and running around..
just make my day, it's so sweet that everyone just smile from heart ;)

Aug 23, 06 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Ive got extremely funny and abusive (and thats a good thing) co-workers. So much so that our office sounds like a carpenter's workshop at lunchtime.

Aug 23, 06 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

office cabin in the mountains

Aug 23, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

when my bosses go out of town, they give us $$$ to throw a party at their house

Aug 23, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

my boss got me to go on all expenses payed trips to Tokyo and Stockholm, i find myself smiling for that quite often

Aug 23, 06 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

gift card for the spa, really nice, because we were doing a spa at the time

Aug 23, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the plethora of cute hipster girls at the Silverlake Trader Joes down the street from my office

Aug 23, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My copy of the Phaedon Atlas is on my partner's coffee table in the living room of his house/our office, and it complements the gorgeous decor perfectly.

The glass tile backsplash in the kitchen over the Carrera countertop and deep single-hole stainless sink is beautifully simple.

The powder room is more elegant than any other room in any location that I enter on a regular basis.

And watching the cats watch the chipmunks is fun.

Plus, my partner is my best friend from college and we talk about cute men all the time. Bliss.

Aug 23, 06 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

One of my clients offered to be a reference for me - wow, and I didn't even ask.

Oh, and I got to chat with a classmate working at a LA firm about submitting an RFP to join the team of a new master planning project- this felt good.

Aug 23, 06 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

the receptionist at the place where I interned last summer would bring in muffin tops occassionally. she'd also decide to order pizza for everyone and we'd all have lunch together once in awhile, which was nice. but I think my favorite thing was just how goofy, spacey and friendly (but not in an obnoxious way) my boss was, especially when he'd speak using semi-obscure lyrics from pop songs in normal conversation.

Aug 24, 06 10:35 am  · 
 · 

office excursions!
last year was porto, this year barcelona and next one is rumored to be stockholm.
an office where a friend works took 100 ppl to nyc. thats pretty cool.

Aug 24, 06 11:24 am  · 
 · 
kyll

last firm - girl who sat behind me had a laugh like an angel. and she laughed at virtually anything. i was in bliss. she was f'ng hot too...

Aug 24, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

damn...where are all these offices? i have the travel bug super bad.

Aug 24, 06 11:46 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

wow. those are some awesome office excursions. i thought mine today was great... after getting back from a site visit, we went next door to get cheeseburgers... half price thursdays!

Aug 24, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

my previous job had this really old (really really old) red-liner who died his hair red, wore leather hats (a-la village people) listened to the rat pack, mumbled to himself, and during lunch crafted hypnotic desktop images using microsoft paint... truly an amazing human being

Aug 24, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
beatbox

half-day fridays? does that count?

Aug 24, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I'm with Lars.

Aug 24, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

i get the feeling some of the bosses try and compete with who is organising the coolest office excursions - and thats just fine by me!

Aug 25, 06 3:55 am  · 
 · 

In the UK we have road intersections called roundabouts: all the roads enter/exit a circle. They require a certain deftness to negociate. Anyway, my boss likes to approach these whilst chatting to us passengers, opening a bottle of fruit juice with his left hand, holding a conversation on his mobile with his right, which is also clutching a sandwich he's munching and the large car gets sort of rubbed around. Damn. Wrong exit. That sort of thing. Of course it's foolish and illegal but fascinating to watch.

Aug 26, 06 3:32 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

this thread made my day :)

Aug 26, 06 7:51 am  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

beer:30 PM

Aug 26, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
ochona

the fact that the person who drinks the last cup of coffee...always makes the next pot. whether it is the office manager, the summer intern, or the principal.

except they keep asking me not to make coffee...i like it where you can kinda chew it. and i am not above running the coffee thru a second time for more caffeine.

Aug 27, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

A few weeks ago one of our clients said, "(rationalist), why are you so patient?" I was at a loss for words, so I replied, "Well, you're a client. Don't I have to be?" And he then insisted that I deserved a raise. That was a nice moment, because even though I know I won't get the raise as I recently had one, it's nice to know when a pain-in-the-ass client realizes they're a pain in the ass and appreciates your patience with them.

Aug 27, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

I once had a run in with a client over who had superior social status. I was about 28 and he was mid thirties I guess. But an incredibly small town, second-rate developer hack, know what I mean?

Aug 28, 06 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

My boss is drafting one of MY projects today.

Aug 28, 06 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie
Aug 28, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

ADT 2007 at many times is an office annoyance for me. but today, it is making me giggle.

Aug 28, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
some person
My boss is drafting one of MY projects today.

That reminds me of a former project manager who would use AutoCAD about once every 3 months. We could always tell he was drafting when we heard him slamming on the space bar with his thumb (totally old school) instead of the "new school" way to hit "enter" by right-clicking. It was actually quite amusing - and he typed his zoom commands on the keyboard instead of using the scroll button on the mouse. Good times.

Aug 28, 06 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

i kept hearing someone making keyboarding noise as often as you make when you do hatching by hand drafting.

it was my project manager. i thought maybe he was playing a game or something.

but later, i realized he drew a dot, and kept pasting it, so he could hatch whatever he was hatching.

that was some old school drafting right there.

when he left, 3 of us who shares a room with him, started laughing.

Aug 28, 06 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I guess I'm old school, 'cause I do both of the things stephanie and DCA mentioned.

Aug 29, 06 9:15 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I'm sorry, DCA said both.

Aug 29, 06 9:16 am  · 
 · 
tman

One coworker and myself would have crazy dance contests to see who could invent the most ridiculous move.

During the world cup my boss would let us all go to the local bar and watch a few of the games.

Aug 29, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
rtnM

the plethora of cute men all around ---

Aug 29, 06 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Years ago....our bosses moved some of the office to a second floor space with windows overlooking Copley Plaza in Boston....we were always sure to take our lunch break , "Oggling the Babes " in the square. It was even better when an associcate in the firm brought in 10X field glasses. We could check out the women coming and leaving the Copley Plaza Hotel...

Aug 29, 06 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
J3

Lot's of gorgeous ladies..."g" strings under see thru linen pants...

Aug 30, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
doberman

Just found out that we're going to the Venice Architecture Biennale for 3 days the weekend after next, all paid for by the office, i'm quite pleased with that i have to say...

Aug 30, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: