Archinect
anchor

Quickie help with ballpark cost of construction for a small home addition in Southern California?

mantaray

Question for Orhan, and any other LA/SoCal architects who happen to be reading:

Some family members are thinking of building a small addition to their 1980s tract home. 

Can you help me figure a super round ballpark cost? 

• It will be an approx. 7' x 12' (~84sf), 2-storey addition
  • requires extension of existing slab-on-grade foundation
  • exterior walls 2 storeys high - wood framed with stucco exterior finish
  • extension of roof framing with red clay U tiles
  • Figure a couple new windows in those exterior walls.
  • 1st Floor will be new IKEA kitchen, so probably around $20k cabinetry I'm thinking, + fixtures and finishes

• 2nd Floor will be bath renovation - low-end materials and minimal cabinetry

• Therefore - Some upstairs & downstairs (on slab) plumbing will need to be re-routed.

Any idea what we're talking here?  I'm at a loss entirely -- all my experience is cold clime construction in cities with REALLY high labor costs - so hard for me to figure the wall, slab, window, and roofing costs.  Interiors I can probably figure.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Feb 4, 12 6:54 pm

@ $200/sf = $33,600  that seems way too low for the shell - perhaps double that for an initial ballpark, plus the cost of fixtures and casework. Most of what you describe is pretty formulaic and easy to execute. Remember that many contractors are hungry, so labor has gone down even as material prices have jacked up...

congrats and good luck with the project...

Feb 4, 12 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

I also figure 75-80k + fees and permits on the low ball because it is two storeys. It will be hard to bid without the structural engineering details. They'll probably spend much less than 20 on Ikea cabs and more on mep and structural. House being from 80's is to your advantage for it will most likely be predictable and up to contemporary codes under the skin. In this economy, they will be able to pick and choose when it comes to builders. 

Feb 4, 12 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Phew, that's good to hear.  It would be MUCH more than that in the cities I've worked in.  My gut (and what I told family members) was 75k-100k so sounds like I might about hit it.  I think you're right - most of the cost I'm thinking will come from re-framing at the roof and at 2nd floor to accommodate the addition, plus plumbing (will be pricey I think).  I've never messed with plumbing in slab-on-grade construction... not sure what you can do there, so that part will be an education.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Feb 5, 12 12:56 am  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

Then what happens to the old kitchen? And don't cheap out on the upstairs fixtures because when they break down they will be leaking on your kitchen counters

Feb 5, 12 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: