Archinect
anchor

siyathemba competition

gomer

To anyone who is considering or starting on the Siyathemba pitch competition. Do you find the requirements a bit vague? This is the first competition I've been involved with. Are they trying to keep it more open to ideas this way? It seems that posting more specific requirements would be helpful. Maybe they will come later. Any comments on this?

Jul 7, 04 5:02 pm
Crumpets

I don't think they've released the actual documentation yet. You're right...everything is vague with only a slight idea of what the site is. Supposedly, everything was to be released on July 1st, but it doesn't look so. My guess is to wait a bit and if nothing comes of it, then more than likely they lost their funding...

Jul 7, 04 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

We are putting everything up on July 15th (and extended the sumbission period to October 15th). The criteria are left fairly open as we find most design competitions that have too many 'rules' restrictive to the creative process. - check our previous design competitions to see what i mean.

The site is the image on the front page and can also be found in the Archinect Image Library - if your saying to yourself - that's just a peice of undeveloped land, thats cause it is. Heres the link

We haven't lost the funding as I funded this by lecturing over the last year - yep this is being paid for with honorariums and a small donation from the Red Rubber Ball fund.

We are currently surveying the site and were tied up negotiating with the Zulu king, yep you read that right, Zulu king for the land.

This is a project that will be built so we want to make sure that the client, the community, the tribal leaders and funding sources are all on board.

Cheers
Cameron

if you have any questions do not hesitate to buzz me an email. Also when you register/pay the entry fee you recieve further information.

Jul 7, 04 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

cameron:

nicely done. i'm not usually a "whimpering do-gooder" but this act of yours is an exceptionally fine one. the very kind of thing i always imagined doing if i hit the jackpot... only i don't think you hit any jackpot.

when yr done when this one, maybe you wanna work on getting a decent pitch built here in portland??

Jul 8, 04 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

We are actually beginning to work with dignity village through the local AFH meetup. You can email them via the AFH homepage.
Cheers
Cameron

Jul 8, 04 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron
interview

on BBC radio and Voice of America this afternoon.

Jul 8, 04 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

please send them again, I checked through my mailbox and did not see them
Cheers
C

Jul 27, 04 10:52 am  · 
 · 
slasher

Mr. Sinclair,
I too had e-mailed questions regarding the competitions. Curious whether you received them
Thanks

Jul 27, 04 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

We added more info today including the long awaited Aerial photo (PDF) and new photos of the site, which we purchased last week - the site, not the photos.

Also their are three weeks left to register @ $20 then it's ten bucks more with late registration/submission.

Aug 11, 04 8:21 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

FYI: We are mid-way through the jury and will announce the finalists on Wednesday (World AIDS Day) night @ the Interior Design event in NYC.

Nov 29, 04 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

thanks for the update....so how are they looking?
any screams of goooooal by the jurors?
please no chanting boring, boring, arsenal.

best and great competition/cause.

Nov 29, 04 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

aye - leave my beloved Arsenal out of this! (actually they are a pretty boring team at the moment)

Surprisingly the designs are quite varied and the jury is having a good but stressful time culling designs down.

Nov 29, 04 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
finalists announced
Dec 1, 04 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: