Archinect
anchor

Spanish Architecture Firms?

nervoussystem

I am looking to get an architecture internship in spain for the summer. Could anyone suggest some interesting firms to approach?

I'm particularly interested in firms based in barcelona.

Jan 14, 06 3:58 am
Medit

do a search of 'barcelona' in the search box, there's a lot of info in previous discussion threads...

for example this one:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=P22631_0_42_0_C

there are some links here too:
http://www.geocities.com/medit1976/arq_op.htm

Jan 14, 06 5:44 am  · 
 · 
nervoussystem

would firms in spain be willing to hire me (1st year grad student) for just a summer?

and does anyone know anything about cloud 9?

Jan 14, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
polipop

give it a try

Jan 15, 06 8:23 am  · 
 · 
jkv

The principal architect at Cloud-9 is Enric Ruiz Geli and I think they are linked to Actar Publishing House
http://www.e-cloud9.com/

Other interesting architects in Barcelona among others:

ELÍAS TORRES & MARTÍNEZ LAPEÑA
Jaume Bach (Bach Arquitectes)
add +arquitectura (Bailo + rull)
Carlos Ferrater
MIRALLES/TAGLIABUE (EMBT)
GCA arquitectes associats
CARME PINÓS
ROIG & BATLLE
RCR (Based in Olot, 1-2 hours from Barcleona)

Jan 16, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
baker

for barcelona, also consider:

josep lluis mateo (teaches at ETH zurich)
helio pinon

i met elias torres once, incredibly nice guy, amazing architect. pretty old now. fyi - he taught a while back at the GSD

consider madrid - much more young blood there.

i've known a handful of people, all americans, who have worked in spain. they all just worked under the table.

good luck.

Jan 17, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

mmhh i work at BCN, and i strongly advice if ur coming only for a summer internship, and interested to learn and work at the office, do madrid...if ur interested in partying and the beach plus most of times over rated work by media blown architects, come to BCN.....still not anyone in BCN sucks, there r few good ones...but try to avoid the big names, my bets ADD and RCR....

im just not happy w/my work situation right now...hahahaha, so u might ignore everything i said, and do whatever u feel like, thats always the best thing to do

Jan 17, 06 2:25 am  · 
 · 
Medit

they'll hire you if they like what you've got to offer, and, basically, if they need someone at all...
if you have a good portfolio and basic CAD habilities (AutoCAD+3DS Max+Photoshop is the usual pack for most iberian arch firms), then you have a chance...
however, locals will always have more chances than you, so try directly the big offices, because usually the small firms either look for very talented people -locals or foreigners- for short periods of time or locals willing to establish a long relationship with a firm

I don't know much about Enric Ruiz-Geli and Cloud9.. I think its like a familiar thing, a very small office (with his wife or something).. He's into CAD/CAM a lot and does mostly exhibitions and things like that where he can experiment with technology.. in the last Fòrum 2004 he did a temporary pergola with leaves called Morphorest (from which he got nominated for a FAD prize):

, and he's got this 1:1 model of a house (Vil·la Nurbs) designed with milling machines or whatever you call these things somewhere in northern Catalonia..:

that's all I've seen published about him. He has also something goin' on in the future maritime zoo of the Fòrum area of Barcelona.

and yes, he's a pal of Gausa, Guallart, Müller and the ACTAR clique, he co-founded Metàpolis with all those snobs (Ruiz-Geli looks to me like the typical all-black, archibabble talker snob too anyway)

recently he received a comission for an hotel in BCN's metro area, in L'Hospitalet, close to a couple of new towers by Toyo Ito, which will have a net of photovoltaic cells covering it, dealing with heat gainings and solar control.. maybe this will be his starchitectness baptism, because even if it's not been built yet, Terence Riley choose it for his swan song at the MOMA for his Spanish architecture exhibition (I think Riley saw a pic of the Nurbs house in a japanese mag and fell in love with him)... architects here are usually pretty endogamic, so he (and his office) will grow up sooner than later.

the hotel:

Enric with a scale model of the hotel and the photovoltaic net.. the thing will start goin' up next february.. Vito Acconci will design the surrounding gardens of the hotel:

and I rather don't say anything about Madrid... these days I tend to think that almost everyone in that city is a nazi-like kind of fascist.. like the rest of deep Spain.. like always actually, like the "old" Spain..

Jan 17, 06 3:39 am  · 
 · 
polipop

whaaat 'bout madrid? you nationalist

like the rest of what!? incredible to read those thoughts coming from a well educated person

Jan 17, 06 8:14 am  · 
 · 
bigness

i got slated for a joke about catalunians! it's not fair! :)
c'mon everbod, peace love and understanding...

Jan 17, 06 8:19 am  · 
 · 
Medit

polipop:
well, of course not ALL people from Madrid, but LOTS of people from Madrid and the rest of Spain.. actually, that comment comes from a direct relation between the declarations by general Mena Aguado (from the spanish army, even the Financial Times made an article about it), the Estatut, the PP (which have 9 milion supporters, mostly in Madrid and central Spain, so there you have the link), and some other factors you don't probably know about... so what I say is based on what a person who tries to be well-educated -that's me-, recollects from personal experience, personal opinions, and analysis of different facts, and my conclusion can be resumed with what I said in my previous message... believe it or not.

That said, in a 3 million city like Madrid there must be some nice people (in fact, I know some of them) and that's probably, or definitely, an objective thought.

See, some people have said recently that the present-day ambient in the iberian peninsula its the closest to the 23-F or even, the most catastrophists, the previous years of the Civil War, back in the 1930's... going into a discussion, here in Archinect, about how we have reached this situation, if you don't even know what some of the key points of the new Estatut are (or know what an Estatut is at all) is pointless.. so let's leave it here.. and back to architalk.

bigness: if you'd really know about how tense some political or social situations can be you wouldn't be joking around with people calling them "racists".. I know I can call "fascists" some people cause I know the facts.. but can you? If I remember your words correctly you were judging catalans because what some people say, not because you have witnessed acts of racism in Catalonia personally, nor because you have studied and consequently analysed the history, the present state and the possible future for catalans and their problems...
you know it would be like me gettin' into what Blair is doin' and what's happening in Britain just because I read something somewhere... that would be pretty stupid.

peace to you too... I'll see if I can get more info about Cloud9 and his new hotel that caught Riley's attention for his MOMA show and forget about this political bullshit

Jan 17, 06 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Polipop, see yesterday NYT's editorial for some more..:

Army Troglodytes in Spain

Jan 25, 06 7:10 am  · 
 · 
BLK

go try at nomad with eduardo arroyo madrid

he is great

Jan 25, 06 7:21 am  · 
 · 
ElTomas

any firms anyone can recomend in the Canary Islands, or for that matter, any comments on teh architecture scene there??

Jan 25, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

in the Canary Islands, AMP Arquitectos (Felipe Artengo, Fernando Martín Menis & José María Rodríguez-Pastrana), from Santa Cruz de Tenerife, are, if not the best, definitely the most popular out of their island... they dont' seem to have a website though..

Jan 26, 06 4:27 am  · 
 · 
AAIASAHA

what abt for firms in california ? do they recruit amateurs in US? ALSO which other countries are doing well in recruiting amateur architects or graduates  from foreign country?

Jul 24, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Datantify

Check out :

https://datantify.com/database/location:spain,industry:architecture

Jul 24, 19 10:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: