Archinect
anchor

line weights in Rhino

The Thriller in Manila

is there any plug-in for Rhino that will allow you to use line weights? if so I would never have to use CAD again

Dec 2, 05 2:40 am
manamana

no. but rhino + illustrator + cadtools would be my method of cheaply avoiding acad, if that's what your goal is.

Dec 2, 05 4:00 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

yup rhino + illustrator + cadtools makes u avoid CAD and meet with waste of time, i stick to CAD after rhino for the lineweights.... lets keep it simple (thats why i also dont buy a mac, i keep it simple)

Dec 2, 05 5:45 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I take it from Rhino to CAD because it actually seems quicker and more accurate to fix things in CAD (because face it, the 2D line drawings that come out of Rhino are pretty awful). I fix stuff and assign colors/line weights to the CAD file, then take it in to Illustrator and just change the layer colors to lines weights. Then can add in people and plants and crap like that. I like the quality of Illustrator lines more than CAD lines.

Dec 2, 05 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig
lino

Rhino 4 will have more drafting capabilities I think.

Dec 2, 05 10:00 am  · 
 · 
The Thriller in Manila

I still wish there was a plug in. Auto Cad is just BS. ie: P-edit

Dec 2, 05 10:06 am  · 
 · 
.dwg

use the 'make2d' command in rhino. then save it as .dwg file in rhino and bring it into CAD. then use 'overkill command' in case rhino makes copies of plines anywhere...

Dec 2, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

'overkill' command in CAD, i meant..

Dec 2, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

what is cad tools?

Dec 3, 05 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
manamana
cadtools

some nice features for dimensioning, working to scale, etc.

also includes some isometric drawing tools which are just about completely worthless these days.

Dec 3, 05 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
cgheintz

Autocad is crap. Its extremly easy changing lineweights in illustrator from Rhino but I would also like an option to change line weights while in rhino more while I work rather than a finished drawing. Like thicker wall lines etc. Btw, if selecting layers in illustrator, I tend to use 4 distinct colors in rhino and just later do "select all< stroke color" and usually change the (say) pink dimension lines and later change those to thin grey lines etc.

Nov 22, 16 5:26 am  · 
 · 
ecnal

Well, I'll ad to the resurrected thread... but you don't need any plugins at all to do whatever you want with lineweights in rhino. It is already built into the program.

In the layers section, you have all the control over lineweights, linetypes, hatches etc that you could need.

No need for illustrator, no need for lino, no need for cad.

Nov 29, 16 1:00 am  · 
 · 
cgheintz

ECNAL, that is not correct. True that you can decide a bit on dotted lines etc in a poor way but if you are refering to the print line thickness then its only for the print-option, I (maybe we) want to be able to see the line weight changes while working. I tried changing this option from 0,1 to 2 but no visual difference in the working layout. Am I doing it wrong, (I think not but could be!)

Nov 29, 16 3:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
AutoCAD is crap?

Says the wanker looking to draft in rhino like it was autocad.

Also, when you leave school and start doing real work, changing line types in illustrator after each revision is impossible.
Nov 29, 16 7:42 am  · 
 · 
ecnal

cgheintz- you most definitely can.

You may have your linetype preview turned off. You need to run the command 'printdisplay' and toggle to on. Set your line types via the panel and you are good to go, along with line type colour etc. 'setlinetypescale' needs to be run if your dashed/border lines aren't reading correctly.

Nov 29, 16 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
cgheintz

Wow! thanks so much ecnal, that is amazing! Just toggled it on and thats insanely useful!

@Non-sequitur. I sense a challenge happening. Btw, with the advise of Ecnal, I know nothing that rhino cannot do better than Autocad. Middlemouse scrolling in autocad is awful but I assume there might be a way to change that though.

Nov 30, 16 7:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Come back to that statement after you're pumped out a 150 page construction set.

Nov 30, 16 8:24 am  · 
 · 
ecnal

For sure, autocad is a more efficient tool when documenting.

Having said that, I know several firms in Melbourne (award winning firms), who have documented complex jobs in Rhino alone.

cgheintz- in case you aren't using these functions also,

'layout' to create sheets ala autocad paperspace. they can be to a set scale etc, drop a title block in and you're good to go. you can have multiple layout windows on one sheet.

'worksession' replaces the xref command from autocad, link external dwg's etc or rhino files till your heart is content.

and lastly, if you have a decently modelled building, instead of drawing it- it is pretty simple to create a view of the model in layout, put it to scale, and hey presto elevations done. Use the clipping plane for sections.

Nov 30, 16 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: