Archinect
anchor

Time to nationalize architecture?

Rusty!

Before you call me a pinko and hang up, consider a few things. Our current system of architectural services is fundamentally broken. Free market enterprise works great in many instances, but we surely don't know what to do with it. We raced each other to the bottom, and not only are we making less than ever before, the overall quality of our product has suffered. We are the first victims of wild market swings and last ones to recover. 

In order to work within a deeply corrupt system, we need to think corrupt ourselves. Here is a three point plan:

• Lobby for architecture to be proclaimed essential societal service. Establish a national Department of Architecture that becomes in charge of all public projects (federal, state, municipal). You know, for public safety's sake and taxpayer money accountability. Once this is in we can finally start price fixing. Each regional chapter can lobby for "minimum safety standards" aka minimum fees needed to meet the standard. Once this is established the private projects will be forced to up-adjust as well. Competition can return back to quality as opposed to price. 
  • Require all architecture firms to go non-profit. This may hurt 1% of architects but will tremendously benefit most (especially with price fixing in play). Non-profit doesn't mean no money. Quite the opposite. We have tried all kinds of protectionist crap before only to be outsmarted by developers, corporations, etc... We need a more evil plan. You have a construction project? Only a non-profit design firm can do that. We just eliminated most of our competition. In-house design team? Can't do that.
  • Establish a national architectural savings and loan bank. We really need to go in on this scam. With fractional reserve system each dollar saved can easily become (depending on reserve ratio) $10 dollars loaned. Only industry members can participate. Give out loans to members with good standing to expand business or even go into development. Once this grows our collective interests can be better protected in times of recessions. End result is re-establishment of master builder that's not developer driven.

So what do you think kind sir/madam? I'm thinking 'be evil' here. How is this plan the stupidest thing you read today?

Oct 31, 11 10:19 pm
design

im gonna take a dump on this thread for all the times you shat on others you poo-poo head.

uuugggghhhhh......plop......aahhhhh..

Oct 31, 11 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
design

but yeah great ideas, now all we need is a politician on our side

Oct 31, 11 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Thanks donatello! Even your poops are little brown masterpieces. 

Oct 31, 11 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

Jeez, rusty.  You have to go and be all thinkey and idea-driven when all I want you to do is post a picture on my damn Halloween costume thread. 

Oct 31, 11 10:56 pm  · 
 · 

"oh wow, oh wow, oh wow"

when did steve jobs utter these words?

a. when he saw the first working prototype of the iphone.

b. on his deathbed.

c. when he read through rusty's proposal.

i'm voting.... c (ya).

Oct 31, 11 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

State architecture after Rusty's coup:

And in their boxlike apartments, everyone gets a cameo on the Unhappy Hipsters blog.

Oct 31, 11 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Thanks Gregory you cheeky bastard. I see what you did there. I said 'be evil' and google's motto used to be 'don't do evil'. And Android (google) and iOS (Apple) have been dragging each other through courts over patent infringements. Thus Apple and Jobs are clearly evil. Thus zombie Jobs approving of my cunning plan.

urbanist: the image you posted shows architecture once popular with most architects. Nothing to do with state. In fact it was the architects who took the lead in shaping those monstrosities. It's time for us to be evil like that again. But with different shapes. Blobs I suppose.

Anyone else? Bitching about our profession in passive desperation is fun and all, but what's the next step?

Collectively gaming a broken system would be our best bet. No?

Nov 1, 11 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

but yeah great ideas, now all we need is a politician on our side

All we need now is a president that is 50% Rem Koolhas and 50% Joe Pesci...you don't support the rusty plan...in the fuckin pizza oven you go!!!

Nov 1, 11 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

Collectively gaming a broken system would be our best bet. No?

I agree. Let's all form a pool and buy stock in an ethically dubious bank. Then vote it into the ground at the next shareholder's meeting.

Nov 1, 11 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
"The Co-op Guy"

I think we need a rationalist national vernacular that is enforced by said nationalization. That way, we know we will all get good architecture.

Also we should change constitutional law so people from Scandinavia can also be president. Rem Koolhaas for Democrat!

Nov 1, 11 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Collectively gaming a broken system would be our best bet. No?

when was the last time you've noticed architects working collectively?  we hate each other.

Nov 1, 11 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

rusty does have at least one good point, it seems that running a non-profit is the surest way to wealth

Nov 1, 11 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

When has nationalizing anything in the US worked? Medicare, postal service, social secuirty, fannie mae/freddie mac, etc etc. 

Nov 1, 11 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

rusty - how in the world did you know i really am a bastard (at least textbook definition)? i'll chalk it up to sniffing zombie dust. potent shite that stuff...

Nov 1, 11 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Non-profits have to have a board of directors. And I think revenues have to come entirely in the form of donations, grants and fundraising. Pick me to run the bingo and the carwash!

Nov 1, 11 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

OK guys. Thanks for ruining my Doctor of Finance and Design dissertation. Dicks.

Enjoy your free market lunch'n'learn sammiches.

Once the state approved color palette is established, none of you will be allowed to use it. Enjoy your hot pink everything from soon onwards.

Nov 1, 11 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Non-profits have to have a board of directors. And I think revenues have to come entirely in the form of donations, grants and fundraising. Pick me to run the bingo and the carwash!

NCARB is non-profit.  How many of us have attended their bake sales?  It's paying off.  If anyone has accurate up to date numbers on what they're making I would be curious.

Also, USGBC 501(c)(3) - I'm not sure but they are the ones we pay for the plaque, right?  Or was that GBCI?  I think they're non-profit too but I'm not certain.  They have to be doing well considering what they charge and how f'ed up their website/infrastructure is.

There's a lot of money to be made not making a profit.  It's those of us trying to profit that seem to be getting screwed.  Rusty, I think you should continue the doctoral research. 

I also want in on the fractional reserve lending scam.  With a bit of mark-to-market accounting we'll all get rich enough for a gov't a bailout.  Even NCARB doesn't get that kind of special treatment.

And I want a sammich.

Nov 1, 11 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

curtkran, maybe they are making a profit because they don't really do anything besides cash checks?

Nov 1, 11 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I worked for a non-profit about 12 years ago. It was a "port authority" type of an organization. Lots of beamers in the parking lot.

Heck, NEW YORK STOCK EXCHANGE IS NON-PROFIT!! Wake up little piggies.

Either that or I go back to my original PhD thesis "Is $32K enough?"

Nov 1, 11 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
spacewalk

My god.

You know what us architects missed in our curriculum?

Basic economics.

Clearly.

Nov 13, 12 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

wow rusty,

spacewalk necro'ed a thread over a year old because he thinks your idea is so valid.  that is awesome.

Nov 13, 12 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

fucking commies.

Nov 17, 12 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: