Archinect
anchor

Parler Anglais? Architecture firms in Paris

bande_a_part

Am going to Rome next spring for one semester. I was just wondering if staying over in Europe over the summer and getting an internship is possible...I was looking into both London and Paris. With the pound being pretty strong still and hearing stories from my friends studying in London so far it seems like Paris would be just a bit cheaper to live in. But my french is at debutante level and they probably want Francophiles in their offices anyway? Any opinions? Do firms like Studios Architecture or Jean Nouvel in Paris hire Anglophiles?

Jul 15, 05 1:11 pm
jpalmer

i know Architecture Studio used to (at least about 5 years ago when i did a stint), but i think they got a bad crop a couple years ago and don't want to anymore.

Jul 15, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

It should be "Parlez" not "Parler", that's the infinitive. You need the conjugated form.

Jul 15, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
bande_a_part

Of course, my mistake...

Jul 15, 05 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
batiment

i worked for jakob macfarlane [www.jakobmacfarlane.com] when i was studying in france. everyone in the office speaks english as a second language so i had no problems. of course i tried using as much french as possible but it was nice to have their knowledge of english to fall back on.

its a small firm and they may not need any more help than they've already got but who knows, it may be worth a shot.

Jul 15, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
brown666

Parlez or parler, doesn't really matter because none of the french get this ever right (I don't know why tough, it's so easy)
Jakob + MacFarlane is a nice firm, uprising and doing highly interesting projects. They are constantly jiring a few interns and I think language isn't a problem for those guys, they both worked in LA with mayne and studied and taught at sci-arc for some time. I worked there last year. when did you work there batiment?

Jul 16, 05 4:29 am  · 
 · 
French

The guy that takes care of hiring people at Nouvel is from the US. He is definitely North American friendly. Give it a try.

Jul 16, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 
bande_a_part

Thanks

Just some questions on the side line - is it illegal to hire someone unpaid in france? I know here in the US firms can do pretty much whatever they want on their own. (I'm actually working an unpaid internship right now, sad). My friends in London said it'll be illegal in the UK. But France?

Seems like the standard here for applying arch jobs is - cover letter, resume and portfolio. Any difference in France? Do I need to churn out some cover letters in French? (seems like the right thing to do)

BTW, I'm a British citizen...do I need a work visa?

Jul 16, 05 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
TED

where have you been since '92? read a paper, had a tv? perhaps a class in school?

have you heard of the european economic union?

hmmmmm. you'll be a great hire!

Jul 16, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
batiment

brown666 -

i started working there in january of this year. i was helping on 'la fabrik' competition for nantes. they asked me to stick around so i stayed for a few more months. im back in the u.s. now.

Jul 16, 05 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
bande_a_part

Hahaha, well Ted, of course I'm aware of that but actually I've never live in England before, hence my, um, unfamiliarity with such policies.

And why am I British? Because I was born in Hong Kong (former British colony) and my dad worked for the government back then. Basically I have tri-citizenship, but I've only lived in the US and Hong Kong before.

Jul 17, 05 12:53 am  · 
 · 
TED

sorry - no excuss; even us yanks heard a bit about what was going on in europe;

you will soon learn a hong kong birth right does not give you eu access unless you have a uk passport. the hk passport is worthless in france and you are not british.

funny how hk did still support the crown. have many friends from other commonwealth countries in the same boat. you should call an british embasy for your eu status.

Jul 17, 05 1:38 am  · 
 · 
bande_a_part

A Hong Kong birth right does not grant eu access. Yes, you're right about that. Yet what I have is not a BNO, but a real British passport. Several years before the hand over in 1997 the british government decided to grant higher level government officials and selected professionals (including their family members) British citizenship (not British National Oversea status).

Also, I would have to disagree with you about Hong Kong's support of the crown. A large percentage of the population has already given up their BNO (realizing that it really doesn't grant them much rights), in exchange of an Hong Kong SAR passport. Since July 1997, there has been none actual political interferences what so ever from the UK government, quite naturally, because China wouldn't allow so. There were times when Hong Kongers look back to the colonial days with nostalgia, especially from winter of 1997 to 1999, when the Asia economy crash really hit hard. After much economical turbulance Hong Kong is starting to pick up again this year. Political wise, Hong Kongers are indepedent enough to self-initiate activism and protest against China's imposition of laws that are viewed as a threat to democracy and freedom of speech (such as amendment no. 23) - that is, without help from the British government. The half million march on July 1st two years ago (me being a part of it) was proven successful, if not, influential in China's awareness of Hong Kongers' strife for democracy.

I probably sounded like a moron but if I don't have concrete facts I tend to ask questions. Judge as you wish but I would like to focus more on other questions mentioned afore.

Jul 17, 05 4:18 am  · 
 · 
TED

lonunu - you asked a question about france visa said you are british but born in hk. and good for the brits who now realize that since hk is part of china they have to stop thinking hk is one of their own.

i lived in hk during the handover. many hk's felt they were getting screwed at the time by not getting offered a full brit passport.

Jul 17, 05 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Architect_kiwi

Hi! did you finally find any job in Paris? I'm going there soon and also concerned if they hire anglophones?

thanks

Mar 30, 14 4:19 am  · 
 · 
Thecyclist
It should be "Parlez vous anglais?"
Mar 30, 14 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: