Archinect
anchor

Is the AA too conceptual?

londoner

Im wondering in going to the aa but im afraid there work might be to conceptual for me, do u actually learn to build buildings and all that good stuff or is it just artsy installations? Any thoughts on the school would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 11, 05 10:12 am
IADR

hey londoner,

One of my profs studied at the AA and I was talking to him about the conceptual side of the course. He told me they see architecture in a very philosophical light, and that the "architecture" which they create overall is not necessarily architecture which one could use but a representation on that philosophy. He also said that drawing ability is not a massive issue there. If you can draw thats cool if you cant its not that bad. Whats more important are the ideas and how you develop them. In other words your way of thinking about "architecture".
The best thing you can do is think about what sort of person you are. If you are philosophical and conceptual then go for it, youll love it. However, if you are not then I dont think its for you.
I should also note that students there put a lot of thought into their "architecture" in most cases doing a hell of a lot of research on certain things to make their architecture "work" (however you want to define that word).

I hope i helped.

IADR.

Jul 11, 05 10:35 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

i attended the AA for some time, and i can say i loved it....
still if u want to be a constructor better go to engineer school...

(does any school really teach u how to construct anything?)

Jul 11, 05 11:11 am  · 
 · 
larinabee

I have the exact same worries! Anyone has more opinion/experience related to AA being conceptual?

Jan 17, 17 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Have a time machine? Go back 12 years and ask the original poster.
Jan 17, 17 7:58 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

every good school is concept, they aren't there to teach you how to actually construct but to think methodically and about what design is.

source: attended one of these schools.

Jan 17, 17 8:06 am  · 
 · 

12 years ago! lmao!!! I can't, who found this post and answered it YEARS later! lmao

Jan 17, 17 9:20 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's like unknowingly 'liking' an ancient post on facebook by your ex while lurking on their profile, totally creeping them out...

Jan 17, 17 10:16 am  · 
 · 

^ Been there, done that.

Jan 17, 17 10:18 am  · 
 · 
think_again

architecture schools build thinkers not buildings. <= wow that was pretty good

Jan 20, 17 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: