Archinect
anchor

What to see in Dallas?

eac9812

I'm visiting Dallas in a few weeks, does anyone know of anything great to see ( big or small)?

Aug 9, 11 2:04 pm
citizen

Dealey Plaza.

Preston Hollow has a bunch of mid-century modern houses in original condition.

Other than that, I'd head south of the border.

Aug 9, 11 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

you can swing by the visitors center (temporary building) for Morphosis's natural history museum which is currently under construction. They've got a a couple really nice models of the building inside. I went on a tour of the building a couple weekends ago and was impressed with the project overall...

also in that area are Piano's Nasher Museum, REX's Wiley Theater, Foster's Opera House, Meier's Rachofsky House, Allied Works's Booker T. Washington High School...

On some access is limited and you can decide which ones could be described as great...

Aug 9, 11 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Tagalong, you forgot Thankgiving square with the spiral chapel.  And the Dallas Museum of Art is HUGE and free, so that's always good.

Somewhere in Frisco - north of Dallas Proper, is a 'green' Wal-Mart that uses windmills and everything; at least I hear.

Really, it depends on what you're into.

Aug 9, 11 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

Sarah, I haven't been to either of those, I'll have to check them out next time I'm in town...except for the wal-mart :)

Aug 9, 11 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

isn't there a chapel  with a bunch of Rothko paint in Dallas...

Aug 9, 11 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

i ment Rothko paintings...

Aug 9, 11 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

There is also the Kimball Museum with Louis Kahn and Ando....but that is a no brainer.

I always like looking at I.M. PEI's glass high rise when flying in and out of dallas....it is an elegant building. 

Aug 9, 11 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Snook, the Rothko is in Houston.  Don't be silly.  And the Kahn and Ando are in Ft. Worth.  That's like the other side of the world!

Aug 9, 11 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

lol...Sarah...Fort Worth is the other side of the world..   and like how far is Houston from Dallas.... I forgot there is a fantastic collection of Meso-American art in what i believe was a museum designed by Edward Larabee Barns...in Dallas.  I might not be right about the Architect but I know I'm right about the collection.  Alot of Omec  figures.

Aug 10, 11 8:36 am  · 
 · 

the Stretto house, by Steven Holl is by Inwood and walnut lane, it is beautiful if you can get over there.

Aug 11, 11 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

JayC... have you been able to see the stretto house outside of the tour around 2000?  Unfortunately the owners are very stingy about sharing the house with anyone and there is nothing to be seen from the street.  From what I understand, they chose the site while surveying the neighborhood with a helicopter to have maximum privacy. 

If you have a car I would definitely go to "the other side of the world" to visit the Kimbell.  It's worth the trip since the Modern is right next door.  If you like barbecue, you should drive down Montgomery street to Railhead barbecue for some chopped beef and Shiner if you like that kind of a thing.  I would add to the list the Trinity River Visitor Center by Predock.  The Rachovsky house is good.. you can take a tour of the house and art collection if you arrange a tour through their coordinator ahead of time.  Can't think of anything else right now, but will add more if anything comes to mind.

Aug 11, 11 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Juan, are you in DFW?

Aug 11, 11 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
bye bye bayou

@snook. Houston is like a five hour drive from Dallas. If your going to go to another city in Texas while in Dallas, Fort Worth (obviously) and Austin would be a much more reasonable  trip.

At any rate, does anyone know how far along the Trinity River Project is? have they finished the Calatrava bridge yet?

Aug 15, 11 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
eac9812

Thanks everyone.

wpmeads brings up a good question.  Anyone have any Iinfo on the Calatrava bridge? 

Aug 16, 11 11:48 am  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

My favorite thing to see in Dallas is the departures terminal at DFW....I freaking hate Dallas....and the whole state of Texas.

Aug 16, 11 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

The Calatrava is nearly finished, I believe.  I know the stung enough cable to be able to remove supports.  It's ugly, though.  It's so boring and normal for a bridge.  I expected more out of Calatrava, and I think the city could've gotten a better design, for less money, out of a local architect/engineer.  

And Taliesin is right, the airport is pretty nice.  I never understood the big deal about the 'sky-rail' until I had to go outside of security to change terminals at another airport.

Aug 16, 11 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
soali

Is there really a twbta designed home in the DFW area?

Aug 16, 11 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: