Archinect
anchor

2012 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

lol, no, but i didn't want people to get their hopes up based on conjecture.

Feb 3, 12 10:16 am  · 
 · 
RandomWorks

...but the ACCEPTANCE RATE will not change!

"Weiss said that applicants will receive admissions decisions by no later than April 1, and that the school expects its acceptance rate to remain unchanged."

Feb 3, 12 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Are you implying that if the school gets more applicants they will accept more people? Because you'd be very mistaken. They can't just invent more studio spaces in their buildings.

Feb 3, 12 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
RandomWorks

I'm not implying anything, it is stated explicitly in the article...
"the school expects its acceptance rate to remain unchanged."

Feb 3, 12 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Wow, misread from this end.

Feb 3, 12 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

"Three first-year architecture students interviewed said they applied because of longtime desires to study architecture at a high-ranking school like Yale and that these feelings were largely unaffected by the current economy and their salary expectations."

... problematic to say the least.

Feb 4, 12 12:31 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

Have been offered a place at Oxford Brookes MArch Advanceed Arhitectural design (dir David Greene) and at Westminster MA Architecture Cultural Identity and Globalisation. Waiting for answer at AA & Columbia, waiting for a reference at the Bartlett.

Would you wait for the others or go for Oxford or Westminster? Which of them?

Cheers and good luck with your applications.

Feb 16, 12 7:13 am  · 
 · 
Slev

Alright, I'll bite. Long time follower, 2nd round applier. First round got into RISD + $$ (2011)

v:560 q: 790 GPA 3.6  

Graphic Design/ Art History Major.

GSAPP New York// Paris (2010)

First Call tonight, RISD + $$ again.

waiting...

Yale

Cornell

Feb 20, 12 1:56 am  · 
 · 

i saw some comments on another page about kinko's binding.

Those looking over applications prefer things that lay flat, and that they don't have trouble putting back together. They don't want stuff attached to your cover either. These things told to me by Jorge Silvetti himself in his Boston firm office (though GSD is all digital this year). Mine was printed on nice paper at a high end printing place, but bound at officemax with a white plastic coil.

http://issuu.com/ryanotterson/docs/2012foliopdf

anyway, thats what i got.

btw this forum is intense, lots of discussion about embedded color profiles, etc. etc. If your work is good (or bad for that matter) i doubt they care how great your colors are (or aren't). Thats the vibe silvetti gave me anyway; if your work is good, it will probably speak for itself. t also seems that you only need to do "well enough" to get into these ivy league programs.

Feb 20, 12 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

"well enough" was referring to the GRE. oops

Feb 20, 12 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
snail

@otterson - very nice, refined portfolio. The color scheme works very well. I will look forward to seeing where you get in!

Feb 20, 12 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
AA23

Hi .. Who else has heard from RISD ..?! .. Any $$$ ..?

Feb 20, 12 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
emyen

It's nice to see the thread still going - this period of waiting is quite nerve-wracking. In response to aman: 

23/f

studio art from Dartmouth College/GPA 3.1

GRE: 770Q/580V/5W

Schools applied to: Yale, MIT, GSD, RISD, Berkeley, UMich, UO

Responses: RISD (Yes + $$!)

Feb 20, 12 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Clarke

General question... I've been swamped since last time I posted (maybe in summer or fall), but did anyone else apply to University of Toronto? Or know what their acceptance rate is usually like? I have no sweet clue what my chances are

Feb 21, 12 7:58 am  · 
 · 
qtip

I remember about an email from Yvonne, the admission coordinator, regarding my U of Toronto application... She said, "... with 100s of applications..."

So, I'm guessing 20/30 out of 100? This is just a guess, though...

Feb 21, 12 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

Also got that e-mail from Yvonne, but I'm applying to MLA programs, so not sure if the '100s' includes all prospective M.Arch, MLA and MUD applicants.

Feb 21, 12 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
Clarke

Hm, that's alarming, but they have undergrad, too I think, so hopefully that's all together. Mine's for the M.Arch I

Feb 21, 12 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

@Clarke, doubtful, as the e-mail was geared specifically towards prospective grad students. Also, why is that alarming? It's still probs around 20%.

Feb 21, 12 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

Anyone else get an email from Pratt regarding their application status that directed them to a website with missing items? According to their online system my LOR, transcripts, and GRE scores are all missing from my application, and that I had a week to fax it all over to them. I assume this must be an oversight, and their system is not up to date, but emailed to inquire about it. They were quick to respond that they'd look into it, but haven't heard from them since. Anyone having a similar problem, or you think I actually should try to resend this stuff just to be EXTRA sure they get it? I feel like I should not bother since I am certain all that stuff got sent. It'd be one thing thing if just one item were missing, but the fact that so many items are missing makes me think it's an error on their end.

Feb 22, 12 12:38 am  · 
 · 
soali

Got the same email, but I was just missing my transcripts and gre scores. I was under the impression that they just haven't updated the system, so not to worry.. I think.

Feb 22, 12 1:04 am  · 
 · 
AA23

Pratt is missing my GRE and TOEFL and some other evaluation certificate which I don't even have to send them ... But the status of my application is 'Under Review' .. Weird ..!

Feb 22, 12 4:56 am  · 
 · 
Clarke

@byen01 

Ok, well I would not have known that the email was all towards grad students. Also, I didn't get any emails from Yvonne with similar information, so maybe that is just MLA

Feb 22, 12 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Clarke

@qtip, unless it was M.Arch I that you applied for, too? Pffft, regardless, thanks for the info :) 

Feb 22, 12 9:52 am  · 
 · 
qtip

@Clarke

Yes, I applied for M.Arch 1.

About the undergrad/grad thing, I think that email is only for grad students. If you go to Daniel's website, they don't have any admission page for undergrad. I believe that undergrad apply to the college itself in general, not to a specific department/faculty.

Feb 22, 12 10:08 am  · 
 · 

it seems like there was general confusion in previous pages about GSD's March.I vs M.archII. Just posting this due to that confusion.

March.I is not just for people who have no architecture background. It is also for those with an architecture background whose bachelors degree is not professional. NOT every bachelors degree out there is a professional degree. In fact, most arent, I know many students here at KU that have great bachelors degrees in architecture from great schools who are getting their masters because they want to get lisenced.

M.Arch II is for those who have completed a professional program already. i.e. they can already get lisenced but want more education for the degree.

from GSD

"MASTER IN ARCHITECTURE II (MARCH II), POSTPROFESSIONAL DEGREE

The program leading to the Master in Architecture as a postprofessional degree is intended for individuals who have completed a five-year undergraduate professional program in architecture or its equivalent. ......"

"The program leading to the Master in Architecture as an accredited professional degree is intended for individuals who have completed the bachelor's degree with a major other than one of the design professions OR with a preprofessional undergraduate major in one of the design professions. "

that includes many many of the architecture bachelors degrees in the united states. If your undergrad wasn't 5 years, you are probably in the M.Arch 1 pool (unless you did some rapid pace thing in school). Most schools that offer the new 5 year masters are merely emulating the 5 year professional bachelors and giving it a "masters" name.

Feb 22, 12 11:11 am  · 
 · 
byen01

@jason, why not just give them a call? It's so much easier for them to forget about e-mails.

Feb 22, 12 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

@byen, yeah, I was just about to call when I got an email from them apologizing for the website mishap and to notify me that they had all my materials.

now all i have to do is get admitted :/

Feb 22, 12 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

@jason, i was in the same boat! boy, was i glad when they replied to clear things up

Feb 23, 12 11:25 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

Completed application for GSAPP MSc Advanced Architectural Design on 2 feb. Still got no answer. Should I consider myself rejected? How long did you have to wait for your answers?

Feb 26, 12 8:18 am  · 
 · 
Buff03

Got accepted to the University of Houston - The letter is dated 16 Feb but was not postmarked until 23 Feb and I received it on Friday. They say I have to  sign a letter indicating I will be attending and commit by the 29th of Feb in order to reserve my spot. I'm excited about getting in but I think its a little messed up for them to give me such a quick deadline when they know that most people still won't hear back from most of the schools for another 2-3 weeks. Also no mention of aid or scholarships in the letter.  Anyone here had this happen to them? There are two other schools I've applied to that I would like to know my admission status before I committ to U of H.

Feb 27, 12 8:39 am  · 
 · 
sofia k

Buff, I'm in a similar situation with my first acceptance. The deadline is in the second week of March, which is not sufficient time to hear from the several other schools to which I applied. Also, no financial aid info at this time. I'm going to attempt to negotiate the deadline.

Feb 27, 12 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Buff03

I was thinking of just accepting and if I get into my top school in the next few weeks then just calling them back  or emailng the school and letting them know I can't go anymore and someone else can take my spot. I don't have to put in a deposit so I wouldn't really be losing any money. I understand giving a deadline by mid April  but the end of Feb is ridiculous especially since by the time they mailed off the letter I have 5 days to decide. I wonder why they do that.

Feb 27, 12 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
sofia k

It's really unfortunate. My guess is they want to have all their spots accounted for. Also, I heard from several sources that generally admissions like to put pressure to fill the spots quickly.  If you don't have to provide a deposit then you have nothing to lose. In my case, I have to provide a significant deposit to hold my spot. 

Feb 27, 12 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
shawnswisher

Got an email on Friday from Berkeley letting me know that I have moved on to "Phase 2" of the admissions process, and that Ron Rael will contact me this week to set up a Skype interview.

Did anybody else get this email? Anyone have an idea of what "Phase 2" might entail?

Feb 27, 12 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
J.Quick

@shawnswisher what program did you apply for at Berkeley? I applied for the 1st professional M.Arch with no background in architecture, and I haven't heard anything back yet. The only responses I saw on thegradcafe were for post professional or advanced placement students.

Feb 27, 12 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

@shawnswisher,

From the UCBerk M.Arch Studio One page (1 year post-prof)

"Phase 2: During the month of February, we may conduct phone interviews with short-listed applicants, and/or ask for additional portfolio information"

Feb 27, 12 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
shawnswisher

@J.Quick I applied for the Studio One option, post-prof Masters. I'm sure they are going through the admissions with the shortest term students first. Hang in there on the wait; I'm sure they'll be getting to them within the next week or so.

@byen01

Touche' with the website reference, definitely should have looked there first. Should we assume "additional portfolio information" probably will include send in in a full, printed portfolio?

Feb 27, 12 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
smwong

Hi, haven't posted here nearly enough. I really do hope the schools are going through admissions from the top down. I was starting to get depressed that I haven't heard from Berkeley or SCI-Arc yet. GSD applicants should be getting notices soon if the stick to their "Early March" quote.

Feb 27, 12 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
abraxass

first world problems: i have no idea how to reinterpret the gradcafe results in regards to leap day, having not taken stats since high school.

Feb 28, 12 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

I say let's enjoy the last remaining week(s) of ignorant bliss, before March Madness: a) being dealt the crushing blow that we didn't make it into our schools, or b) having to make the decision of which school we want to sacrifice countless hours of sleep and debilitating financial debt to.

Feb 28, 12 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
dionysus

Good luck to everyone as results start rolling in! Anyone here drop by Vienna for the IoA entrance exams? Or is everyone US and Canada only? Results are quick for European schools, thank goodness, so I got in at Tu Delft and IoA so far, but waiting for American results too!

Feb 29, 12 7:31 am  · 
 · 
Clarke

@dionysus: I missed the IoA entrance exams, because I was in Vienna 2 weeks before they happened, but how were they? I'm thinking of going to the Bildendes Kunst ones in June, too, and IoA next year... still in Germany at the moment and couldn't get the time off of work for the ones this year. Waiting on U of T results, but I was told that they should be decided in about 2 weeks.

Feb 29, 12 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
J.Quick

Well, on thegradcafe it looks like GSD notices are rolling in. I'm wondering how nervous i should be that my inbox is empty.

Mar 1, 12 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
ARKISUCK

@J.Quick

My inbox is still empty too.... I am so nervous now.... 

Btw, does GSD send out admission at one time or they basically do it in different round.

Mar 1, 12 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Buff03

Wouldn't sweat it, go a few pages into that thread and you'll see that last year it appears most schools including GSD send out notices in waves.  First wave was 1-2 March then another set 7-8 March and another 15-16 March

Mar 1, 12 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
J.Quick

@Buff03

Thanks. Im not sure if you've given me piece of mind or made it worse, but I appreciate it.

Mar 1, 12 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Buff03

No worries looks like if you don't hear anything from said school by about the 16th of March then you are likely wait listed or rejected according to the results posted from last year on that thread.

Mar 1, 12 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
J.Quick

@Buff03

Were those notifications via email? 

In my compulsive refreshing of thegradcafe page, it looks like someone already got waitlisted.

Mar 1, 12 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Karimi

Just got word from GSD, I'm in ! Anyone got word from Columbia, UCLA, Sci-Arch or Princeton ?

Mar 1, 12 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
ARKISUCK

got the email from GSD... i am out... damn it....

Mar 1, 12 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: