Archinect
anchor

Master of Architecture: University of Michigan vs University of Tennessee

kariannekory

My daughter has narrowed down her choices, but is having a hard time deciding between University of Michigan and University of Tennessee to pursue her Master of Architecture degree in the fall. She is graduating in a couple of weeks from Central Michigan University, after 4 years of being a track & field athlete, with her Bachelor of Interior Design and Real Estate Development & Finance. Does anyone have any recommendations on which school would be better for her to get her Architecture Masters degree from? She fell in love the the campus at University of Tennessee, but keeps going back and forth because of the school rankings, etc. It's hard to tell what is true to read online. She wants to choose where she will be able to get the best education and then best job. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My husband and I are both pharmacists and know nothing about architecture.  Thank you.   

Apr 17, 24 12:25 pm
Non Sequitur

Why is your child not doing their own research? Certainly they know best what they like?  

Just know a few things:

1. Rankings don't mean shit.
  2. Pick the cheapest accredited degree
  3. Let your kid make their own adult decisions
Apr 17, 24 12:44 pm  · 
kariannekory

Thanks for your input.  She is doing her own research & has been on visits to both schools, but is still having a hard time deciding.  She is a 22 year old college athlete (in season), and a full time student, she is busier than most college students. I am trying to lighten her load by reaching out to people who may be more knowledgeable about architecture schools.  

Apr 17, 24 1:08 pm  · 
1  · 
graphemic

UMich has significantly more name recognition and is a well-regarded program. I have no knowledge of UT.

Apr 17, 24 1:20 pm  · 
2  · 
homme_du_jura

Choose the one that will result in less cost/debt.  Prestige in MArch programs don't count for much in an architect's career.

Apr 17, 24 2:38 pm  · 
1  · 
graphemic

Career, sure. But I kinda feel like networks and first jobs are pretty dependent on your program. The ivy/prestigious ones are generally better. Whether that's worth the cost is another question.

Apr 17, 24 4:45 pm  · 
1  · 
ill_will

UMich is basically a midwest ivy-league, bunch of friends/colleagues speak to its quality as a program. I believe it has a really strong alumni network which def helps in the post-grad job market.

Apr 17, 24 2:43 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: