Archinect
anchor

Thoughts on UVA M.Arch 1?

llsb00

Hi everyone, I was recently admitted to UVA's M.Arch 1 program and was wondering if people could share their thoughts about the school. I'd love to hear about the reputation of the school in particular, including information about hirability at various types of architecture firms post-graduation (does this name get my foot in the door?), as well as any insights into the strengths and weaknesses of the curriculum itself. 

For comparison, I've also been admitted to SAIC and CU Denver, am waitlisted at UW and am awaiting decisions at Carnegie Mellon, so comparisons to those schools would be greatly appreciated as well. 

Thank you!!

Mar 13, 24 6:02 pm
aghahussain

Congrats on the acceptances! 

I’ve been admitted to UVA, M.Arch path 2 with a merit based scholarship of $5000 annually. 

Awaiting decision at CMU for M.Arch. 

I would likely accept, if offered a spot at CMU but I just can’t seem to gather much information about its value and recognition in the industry. Do you?

I’m interested to read what people have to say about these schools. 

Mar 15, 24 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
llsb00

Congrats to you too! Maybe we will see each other at UVA or CMU :)

Mar 15, 24 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
llsb00

I was wondering the same thing... It's hard to quantify the reputation of these schools and these things change quickly over time, so it's hard to judge :/

Mar 15, 24 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur's comment has been hidden
Non Sequitur

Why did you not do this research before applying?

Mar 15, 24 7:34 pm  · 
llsb00

This was a "safety pick" for me that I threw in last second, and I was unfortunately rejected from my top choices.

Mar 15, 24 9:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I’m not surprised.

Mar 15, 24 11:40 pm  · 
llsb00

I'm not either! Could be worse though -- at least I don't have 20,000 comments on an internet forum ;)

Mar 16, 24 12:21 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

How is that worse? It’s not like I’m using this forum to make adult decisions. Enjoy your crushing student debt for an art degree in a school you know little about.

Mar 16, 24 7:39 am  · 
llsb00

You're assuming a lot about me based on no information. Who said I'm making decisions based on a forum? I know lots about the school and especially its curriculum, I'm just seeking information about outside perceptions of the school to best make my decision. It's hard to find opinions about the perceptions of schools within the professional field, especially state schools like UVA which are going to have local reputations that aren't reflected in the global perception of the school.

Mar 16, 24 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: