Archinect
anchor

Accepted, Georgia Tech, UVA and Syracuse for M.Arch. 1

Zorbon the Builder

I got accepted for an M.Arch. I to Georgia Tech, UVA and Syracuse. All three schools cost about $35k per year sticker price for out -of-state students. 

UVA gave me $7,500 annual scholarship.

Syracuse $15,00 annual scholarships

Georgia Tech no scholarship.

I got rejected to Cornell. Still waiting on Harvard, MIT and Notre Dame. But not too hopeful about the first two.

Any reason I should pick one over the other. Georgia Tech has more technology focused research that I like but UVA has a much nicer campus and a better atmosphere. I love the Syracuse campus but I am not sure if it is the school is ranked high enough. What do you think about rankings here? I don't have an architecture undergrad so I am doing this M.Arch. I. But I would like follow up masters at top Ivy League-caliber school perhaps in the future so I need to consider this too.

Mar 4, 24 4:22 pm
Non Sequitur

rankings don’t mean shit. Pick the absolute cheapest option. 35k per year is criminal. 

Mar 4, 24 5:18 pm  · 
2  ·  1
Zorbon the Builder

$35k per year are my only options

Mar 4, 24 5:37 pm  · 
reallynotmyname

Are all 3 programs the same number of semesters?

Mar 4, 24 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Zorbon the Builder

Yeas all are 6 semester.

Mar 4, 24 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Keep applying elsewhere until you get it for near nothing. You’ll thank us later when you can buy a house instead of looking at 6 figure debt for a design degree.

Mar 5, 24 6:21 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Zorbon the Builder

Well, it's $35k minus scholarship and in-state tuition so It's more like $80k.

Mar 5, 24 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

One of the best professors I ever had went to Syracuse. Don't worry about rankings - if you're good, it won't matter for the follow-up masters.

Mar 4, 24 5:55 pm  · 
2  · 
Zorbon the Builder

Thank you.

Mar 4, 24 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

The least expensive and shortest program is where you need to be. Especially if you see another masters degree in your future. You need to limit your loan debt in a major way. Maybe share the largest offer you got with the other schools and see if they can raise their offers. It's unlikely but worth a try.

Mar 4, 24 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Zorbon the Builder

Yeah that's my plan.

UVA includes a "free" mandatory summer session. It's not free because I have to quick my job 2 months earlier than if I go to Syracuse. However, I may qualify for in-state tuition at UVA because I'm a veteran bring the price of UAV own to $22k - $7.5k = $14.5 per annum.

Mar 4, 24 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Zorbon the Builder

So actually it's a 3 credit summer course an they charge me. Oof!

Mar 5, 24 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
The_Crow

I went to Georgia Tech and would personally pick UVA out of the lot you were admitted to. Don't go to a Masters program that doesn't offer you money, they won't value you. UVA will train you to be an architect's architect and Georgia Tech will either train you to go into Tech or become a middling architect. 

Mar 5, 24 9:05 am  · 
2  · 
Zorbon the Builder

Thanks. Why UVA over Syracuse though?

Mar 5, 24 9:24 am  · 
 · 
The_Crow

Both good programs. I'd pick over where you want to geographically end up after school. If you want to be on the East Coast UVA for sure. Its easier to stay adjacent to where you go to school because that's where your network will be.

Mar 5, 24 1:05 pm  · 
2  · 
Zorbon the Builder

UPDATE:

Syracuse seems to have more conceptual artsy feel than UVA. But UVA seems to have more research-areas an diverse course offerings.

Mar 5, 24 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Why are you planning a second Master's in Architecture? 

Mar 5, 24 11:42 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Yeah, if OP wants to teach, a PhD after the MArch might be better. A UVA MArch by itself might have enough snob appeal for faculty hiring committees, though.

Mar 5, 24 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Zorbon the Builder

First, to get a degree from a higher-ranked school for whatever intangible benefits that may come with it. Second, to specialize more in an area. The research facilities at Harvard-MII-Cornell-Yale are amazing.

Mar 5, 24 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Also, it’s easier to hide in academia than practice in the real world.

Mar 5, 24 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Not to be unkind but having two Masters in Architecture reminds me of the comedy skit where the hillbilly gomer introduces his brother Bill to his girlfriend and turns around and introduces her to his other brother Bill.

Mar 6, 24 8:37 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

It can make sense if it's in another discipline, like landscape architecture, preservation, or urban design. Further architecture study would best be a PhD in my opinion. If a future where PhDs become the preferred credential for design teaching and research jobs comes to pass, the OP will be properly positioned.

Mar 6, 24 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Zorbon the Builder

I would not be doing a second masters right after my M.Arch. I have in interest in computational stuff and also robotic construction.

Mar 6, 24 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Brud-G

Pick Syracuse if you like snow.

Mar 5, 24 1:43 pm  · 
1  · 
Zorbon the Builder

I love snow in late April and -20 degree windchills during broad daylight! A potentially fatal walk across campus to studio really just ads that extra brutal edge to architecture school. I went to Binghamton for undergrad so I am aware of the winter deathland that is Upstate New York.

Mar 7, 24 11:36 am  · 
 · 
nine_

Zorbon did u make a decision yet? I’m also pondering among three schools including Syracuse, i love their research opportunities 

Mar 19, 24 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: