Archinect
anchor

Application Results for MLA 2024!

Archived

Hey everyone!

This thread is for all 2024 cycle Master of Landscape Architecture applicants to share our application status and decisions.

Feel free to ask questions, share stories, and make connections!

Suggested Format:

• Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
  • Letter of recommendations 
  • Personal Essay/Statement 
  • Portfolio
  • Schools 
  • Open house impressions 
  • Results 
  • Tips

Feb 25, 24 10:31 am
Archived

B.A. Global Development Studies at University of Virginia

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.93 / No GRE

• Letter of recommendations 

2 from professors and 1 professional recommendation // All my recommenders know me well + I conducted research under all three of them. 

Additionally, 1 professor was a graduate professor in the school of architecture and the other was my advisor 

• Personal Essay/Statement 

In my personal essays I discussed my research and involvement in 3 community-led environmental justice projects and how I desired an education that would give me the skills to work with communities on the design/creative side of environmental justice projects

I also discussed overcoming personal barriers (low income, woman, queer, non traditional student etc) 

Portfolio

I included GIS projects, field notes from research, design sketches from research, projects from two graduate level LAR classes during undergrad, and 3 or 4 interactive books I had made in book making / paper art studio 

• Schools 
UCB, UPenn, UMich, GSD, UVA

• Open house impressions 

I didn’t have a chance to go to any open houses, although as decisions roll in this may change. However, I did reach out to professors that were doing research or projects I had an interest in and I set up short zoom meetings to ask them about the programs/how I might be supported in them. 

• Results 
In at UMich and UCB

Pending results from everywhere else but will update in the comments

• Tips

Reach out to professors and develop relationships with them // identify a few professors who you could see as your mentors to ensure the program is right for you 

Feb 25, 24 11:26 am  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

congrats on UMich and UCB

Feb 25, 24 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Archived

In at UMICH with $, in at UVA with $$$, in at Berkeley, In at UPenn (waiting on aid)

Mar 4, 24 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Archived

Rejected by Harvard

Mar 4, 24 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

also rejected by GSD

Mar 5, 24 12:28 am  · 
 · 
Archived

Their loss!

Mar 5, 24 9:06 am  · 
3  · 
nicemonster123

I studied landscape architecture and am a 3rd year BLA but was offered the opportunity to graduate with my BA and move into the accelerated Master's program 

B.A. Louisiana State University 2024

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.43 / No GRE

Portfolio

I included 2 of my past studio projects including sections perspectives master plans concept and development parti diagrams etc.  I included sketches models and my past design's from my jewelry making business soldering and working with metal

• Schools 

Ohio, UT, Auburn, LSU, NCSU, Harvard, Penn, Cornell, RISD, UF

• Open house impressions 

Haven't visited any of the schools yet but plan to 

• Results 

Yes from LSU, Auburn, Ohio, UT, UF, RISD 

Waiting on Harvard NCSU Penn and Cornell

• Tips

Have a portfolio ready at all times. I had to submit my applications within two weeks of finding out this was even possible so always be prepared. 

Feb 25, 24 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Archived

Congrats on the acceptances! Keep updated on the rest of them (:

Feb 26, 24 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
jingp

has anyone gotten any emails from UPenn, Cornell or GSD yet? Am starting to think they secretly decided to send out their decisions all at the same time haha.

Feb 28, 24 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

Not yet, I know Penn announces at noon on the 11th but not sure about Cornell or GSD

Mar 4, 24 9:18 am  · 
 · 
jingp

I saw someone posting their GSD acceptance on gradcafe.

Mar 4, 24 10:37 am  · 
 · 
jingp

Got email from Penn!

Mar 4, 24 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Archived

Me too! (: congrats

Mar 5, 24 9:07 am  · 
1  · 
nicemonster123

congrats to you both!!!!

Mar 5, 24 11:17 am  · 
1  · 
jingp

Thanks!!!!!

Mar 5, 24 11:40 am  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

did either of you do the interview during the application process

Mar 6, 24 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
jingp

I didn’t do the optional interview

Mar 6, 24 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
jingp

woooo!!! Are any of you still waiting for Cornell?? Or did they already send out emails haha

Mar 5, 24 11:40 am  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

i talked to them today and they said they’ll let us know late this week/early next week 

Mar 5, 24 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
jingp

I saw someone on Reddit said they got accepted to Cornell. Did any of you got results too?

Mar 10, 24 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

I'm still waiting!

Mar 11, 24 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

I just emailed them again to ask even though I know it was probably annoying but im visiting my northeast schools this week and need a response! Ill let you know what they say!

Mar 12, 24 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
jingp

Thanks for doIng that! I emailed them too on Monday and haven’t heard anything back. Hopefully we get some answers soon

Mar 13, 24 2:26 am  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

I saw that their welcome weekend for students is the 22nd-23rd. Kind of nuts we're still waiting.

Mar 13, 24 5:01 am  · 
 · 
jingp

Is it possible that they’ve already sent out letters to those who are accepted? I am a little bit disappointed in how slow / unorganized they seem to be.

Mar 13, 24 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
ricafeng

Ugh, like I am waiting for Cornell too. I also emailed the person this week but haven't heard anything back. It's already mid March, so hopefully we got some updates soon.

Mar 14, 24 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

so nerve wracking! we only have one month to make decisions

Mar 15, 24 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
ricafeng

So I just heard from them today, I got waitlisted and they will make the final decision early April..

Mar 16, 24 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

I still have no response

Mar 18, 24 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

I am on the waitlist at Cornell as well!

Mar 18, 24 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

Anyone off the waitlist yet?

Apr 2, 24 10:25 am  · 
 · 
ricafeng

Haven't heard anything yet

Apr 2, 24 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

I still haven't heard back and we have like 4 days left to make a decision

Apr 11, 24 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
ricafeng

Damn right, I emailed them on Monday and my inbox is still quiet like a chicken’s fart. I feel like by that time I still haven’t heard anything I will still pay the enrollment fee first

Apr 12, 24 12:28 am  · 
 · 
Archived

Do y’all know where you may end up? Berkeley is my dream but they gave me zero in funding and UPenn is so expensive even with a scholarship.

Mar 11, 24 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
natto

Good question! Like you, I am conflicted upon my decision when I look at how expensive these programs are. RISD gave me significant funding and USC gave me similar too, but it's still a lot of student loans I would have to take out.

Mar 11, 24 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

Im considering RISD...Ohio gave me a full ride... and UT. I only wish I would hear back from Cornell though!!! Im stuck on those 4.

Mar 11, 24 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
jingp

I think I’m pretty set on going to UPenn though I haven’t heard back from Cornell yet. Someone said to do research on companies that you want to work
at post graduation so I am leaning towards UPenn since most of the people from the firms I’m really interested to work at are graduates from GSD or UPenn.

Mar 11, 24 6:08 pm  · 
1  · 
nicemonster123

that's probably great advice. I've been considering what networking opportunities are at each school....but I know it all comes down to portfolio. I just visited Ohio and I was so impressed with their facilities... do any of you know of their reputation? I've heard great things I just want to know other opinions 

Mar 11, 24 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Archived

That’s a great idea jingp. I really liked the professor I talked with a UPenn. I think I will end up at UVA since its the cheapest and I have good relationships with the faculty there as an alumni.

Mar 11, 24 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Archived

As for Ohio I have no idea!

Mar 11, 24 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
nicemonster123

Is anyone else being offered two year tracks?

Mar 11, 24 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Archived

I was offered the 2 year track at Berkeley but for their MLA with an emphasis in environmental planning. I didn’t do landscape architecture during undergrad or anything explicitly related so for most programs I do not qualify.

Mar 11, 24 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
jingp

just wondering where did everyone end up choosing?

Apr 22, 24 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: