Archinect
anchor

Filleted/Rounded Corner Window Suppliers?

boispotus

Please help! I'm trying to source suppliers of rounded or filleted corner windows/window frames like below, that are not "RV grade". Does anyone know what to search for suppliers?

Nov 1, 23 12:58 pm
natematt

I’m curious what other people have to say about this but here is my thought.

This looks more likely to be a custom fabricated window for the building. Weird shape, almost no frame around it…. Likely has limited thermal value and is just a single pane of glass with a generic trim and sealant.

If you wanted something a bit more “prefabricated” you might try a hot rolled steel window company and see if they can give you a custom shape you want. 

Nov 1, 23 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
boispotus

That's a great insight. Thank you! I think you're totally right about the window setup here. I am indeed looking for something custom and double pane at a bare minimum.

Nov 1, 23 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ive had large (1.5m dia) round windows  customs made before. Thermal pane and anodized aluminum TB frames. Most large commercial curtain wall companies do these. 

Nov 1, 23 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Call me crazy, but there's something about the composition in that photo that I like.

Nov 2, 23 12:37 am  · 
3  · 
boispotus

You're not crazy! You may like:

https://www.spoon-tamago.com/r...
https://www.laurentkronental.c...

Nov 2, 23 10:08 am  · 
1  · 
natematt

Now that's some insight. those windows are 100% products of some kind though. I still think the OPs is just a custom installer fabrication, but it's interesting to see the operable ones which clearly are something else, and suggest that perhaps Japan has more fun than us.

Nov 2, 23 4:53 pm  · 
1  · 
t a z

You could glaze in a rectangular IGU and fake the radiused corners with an interior and exterior surrounds.  You would have to be careful about gunk and water accumulating on the exterior side if you fake it.

Nov 2, 23 10:29 am  · 
 · 
boispotus

I've thought about this and have seen it done before in a firm I used to work for. It works great for fixed windows. Do you know of any examples I could reference?

Nov 2, 23 10:40 am  · 
 · 
t a z

55 Hudson Yards comes to mind

Nov 2, 23 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: