Archinect
anchor

ChatGPT Generating Building Layout Images with Text Prompts

FabulousLabrador

Hey everyone! I’ve been experimenting with ChatGPT to generate 2D building layouts. It turns out that ChatGPT can take your design prompts and churn out graphics of viable building layouts. I’ve written a detailed blog post about it, but I’ll give a quick example and post a link to the prompt here. 

A link to the original chat is below. The graphic outputs expire but you’ll be able to see everything else. I’ll attach a few screenshots of the graphic outputs below.

History Museum Example

I asked ChatGPT to design a fictional history museum, using design principles from Christopher Alexander’s “A Pattern Language.” I also wanted it to be compliant with the Living Building Challenge and work within a CLT mass timber structural grid.

ChatGPT gave me alternative layouts, highlighting different experiential aspects. For example, in one layout, it organized the main gallery centrally, creating a radial flow around it. It considered site constraints, street views, and room relationships while doing so. In another layout, ChatGPT placed the main gallery along the busy street for direct visibility and even potential event access. After I mentioned wanting to adhere to the Living Building Challenge, the AI suggested changes like incorporating sustainable materials and maximizing natural light.

If anyone makes anything interesting using this or other prompts please share! Or if anyone has other ideas on how ChatGPT could be used for graphic designs or other visual outputs that would be interesting to discuss. 

Original Chat:

https://chat.openai.com/share/...

Full Blog Post:

https://www.benfeicht.com/blog...

Oct 30, 23 6:58 pm
Non Sequitur

so many words to describe garbage output. You don’t need AI for mediocre box diagrams. 

Oct 30, 23 7:20 pm  · 
2  · 
t a z

This would explain why Patrick uses Midjourney or DALL-E 2

Oct 30, 23 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

i love the irony of having AI design humanistic architecture according to Christopher Alexander's principles!

Oct 31, 23 12:09 am  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: