Archinect
anchor

Credential options with expired license

Toast

Can you use any kind of post-nominal credentials if you pass all the exams, become a licensed architect in the US, and then let your license expire? 

I don't want to present myself as a licensed architect, but I now work in a related industry and would like to convey my professional experience. Just using "M.Arch" in my signature line or business card only says I have a degree and doesn't convey that I have experience and jumped thru all the hoops to get licensed. Can you say something like "RA (expired)," "NCARB (expired)," "Former architect," "Previously licensed architect," "Retired architect,"  "Professional Formerly Known as a Licensed Architect..." All the state boards say is you can't mis-represent yourself as a licensed architect, but that's not what I'm trying to do...

Oct 18, 23 6:24 pm
Non Sequitur

licensed architect is redundant. You are either an architect or you are not. You gotta play/pay the game to use the title.  

Oct 18, 23 6:27 pm  · 
1  · 

Maybe you could call yourself a retired architect.  I'd speak to AIA and the states likening boards where you're working ang get their input.  

I would stay away from using 'former architect' or any type of 'expired'

Former / expired architect - why former?  Did you mess up and loose your license?  Why didn't you keep up your license?  If you haven't kept up with the profession how can you be relevant?  

See the types of questions that brings up.  

Good luck.  

Oct 18, 23 6:30 pm  · 
2  · 
luvu

a non practicing is another category we have over here. You still have to pay annual fee to the board (less) , but you don’t have to maintain your PI insurance and continued professional development ( 20 hours /year ). People with this registration class are able to call themselves an architect. When you want to switch back to Practicing Architect, there are a couples of hoops you need to go through, but not as the same as when you first acquired your registration.

Oct 18, 23 10:29 pm  · 
2  · 
reallynotmyname

There are some business school masters grads that put "MBA" in their signature lines, so there is some precedent there.  Are people impressed with it?  Maybe.

Asking the state board in your practice location for input would be a really good idea, but they may or may not be helpful or supportive of what you envision.

On the AIA end, you could start paying dues and use "Associate AIA".  By definition, that's their title for those who finished school but aren't licensed.  Will lay people who see that title know what it means and justify your yearly dues investment?  Maybe.

Oct 18, 23 8:24 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

And, in many states, the yearly fees for an architecture license will be less than the price of an AIA membership.

Oct 18, 23 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

network architect

Oct 19, 23 7:01 pm  · 
1  · 
Toast

Thanks for the input. I chose not to renew my license since:  

a) working 15 years in mid-sized firms you don't stamp anything unless you're a managing principal and my role was not a "project architect" 

b) I don't see how attending a bunch of lunch-and-learn informercials posing as continuing education qualifies as "keeping up with the profession." If that (and paying fees) is the only difference between saying "I'm an Architect" and saying "I'm an architectural designer with an M.Arch degree" then hmmm.... 

c) on leaving that career path and switching to residential work for a few years I found it beneficial to not have the liability and insurance burden of being licensed. I made my status clear in representing my credentials. 

d) now I work for a non-profit providing support & advocacy more generally for the built environment. Would I prefer to still have my license? Sure, it would make it easier for communicating my level of experience, and industry knowledge, but that ship has sailed, so I'm trying to see what my options are. Associate AIA may be the best compromise. 

Oct 20, 23 4:41 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Silly to abandon something like a license over just renewal fees and cont Ed reqs. Designer or design consultant would be the only ok terms in my area since any variation/combination that includes architect or architectural is prohibited even if you make it known to clients. Funny enough, one of my prof associations sent out a memo yesterday to inform us they recently fined some wanker 50k (plus 600 in court fees) for 4 years worth or misrepresentation.

Oct 20, 23 7:33 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I appreciate the attempt and conversation and I think I get what you're trying to do. I definitely would appreciate that someone was capable of going through licensure and is expert in their field/product over someone who only is expert in their field/product... which is still way better than most of the people we get at the lunch and learns.

I agree with Non, the legality and point of protecting the word 'architect' is just too cut and dry for you to be putting anything in writing.  Still, my mom called me an architect immediately after graduation even though I reminded her otherwise.  No harm in confirming your experience/background verbally in conversations with other professionals.. but you better be ready to back it up with code excerpts and assembly ratings etc relevant to your product.

Oct 20, 23 9:16 am  · 
 · 

Toast wrote: 

b) I don't see how attending a bunch of lunch-and-learn informercials posing as continuing education qualifies as "keeping up with the profession." If that (and paying fees) is the only difference between saying "I'm an Architect" and saying "I'm an architectural designer with an M.Arch degree" then hmmm...

If you think that is the only thing that happens when you keep up with the profession then you've not kept up with the profession even when you were licensed.

Regales - in your case using the term 'former or expired' architect would bring up a lot of questions from non informed people reading that title.  That's where the 'not keeping up with the profession' line came from.  

Oct 20, 23 10:08 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

My state board has like an "inactive" category you can put your license in. I think there's also a "retired" category. Not sure what nomenclature you can use in regards to those though.

Oct 20, 23 11:25 am  · 
3  · 
Bench

i know quite a few retired firm partners who use the term "emeritus" to describe their role. I have no idea what context that has for legal designations, but i always thought it got the point across very well.

Oct 20, 23 1:54 pm  · 
1  · 
Janosh

It's a legal term for formerly licensed architects in some jurisdictions.

Oct 20, 23 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Toast

Yes, and I've seen it require having an active license umpteen years longer than I did.

Oct 21, 23 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Apart from the continuing education requirement (which could be aggravating if you are no longer in any construction affiliated field) the cost to remain registered in most states is nominal and without any additional liabillity so long as you aren't practicing.

Oct 21, 23 4:50 pm  · 
2  · 

Depends on the jurisdiction and the licensing board. AFAIK it's typically a protected title so you can't just slap it on your email signature, you usually have to apply for the status and be approved by your jurisdiction. NCARB recommends the title is reserved for retired architects aged 65 and older who practiced for at least 10 years.

Emeritus Status for Retired Architects

"NCARB recommends granting retired practitioners with an honorary title of “Emeritus Architect.” To be eligible for this status, professionals must be at least 65 years of age or have been registered for at least 10 years."

https://www.ncarb.org/blog/ncarb-recommends-early-access-are-ipal-students

Oct 23, 23 1:58 pm  · 
1  · 
t a z

Did that "be it resolved" emeritus topic from 2016 get adopted into the NCARB model law or whatever it is? The links are all broken.

Oct 23, 23 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Thanks EA! I wasn't aware that it was actually a protected title. Makes sense; although I would have loved to meet some 25 y/o architect emeritus who practiced for one year with a license and forever let it lapse just to get the line item...!

Oct 23, 23 4:31 pm  · 
1  · 

Darn that 65 year old age requirement. I want to be an emeritus!

Oct 23, 23 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

The 2016 resolution was passed on a 53-1 vote [I blogged about it here] [non-broken NCARB link here]. Current Model Law & Regulations are here [see Section R308 for example], but remember this is just model law/regulation. It's not an actual law/regulation unless a jurisdiction makes it so ... so check with your jurisdiction to see what is actually in place and enforceable.

Oct 23, 23 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

Every time someone uses the word emeritus I think of the lead singer of Ghost!.

Oct 24, 23 10:41 am  · 
 · 

In Oregon, we have a title like that. You just can't use the title in connection with any project. In general, you are not expected to be engaged in the PRACTICE of architecture anymore. So, if you want to design a house for someone, it is best to avoid the title architect of any kind, altogether. Use the title building designer, house designer, or like title and use the term "building design services" and "residential (or house) design services" and refer to architectural drawings and plans as building plans, building drawings, and such.... in any manner that eliminates the words, architect, architecture, and architectural from the contract terms. You should replace the use of those words in order to avoid being sanctioned by the licensing board.

However, you may carefully refer to your education and experience an a licensed architect as long as you don't make it out as you are licensed and you don't do projects that requires an active license. 

Oct 26, 23 5:39 am  · 
 · 

If your license is expired but you are done with designing buildings then you may refer to yourself as 'building designer'. If you want a third-party credential then you can seek the Certified Professional Building Designer credential from the American Institute of Building Design ( AIBD ). You would have to pass an exam. The lack of an active architect license would likely be an issue of obtaining the certification by reciprocity (without the exam). 

The credential doesn't allow you to do an additional scope of projects than the current exemption at this time. It is a voluntary credential not a legally required one. Generally you must obtain from a government entity such credentials because private entity based professional certification credentials may be used as a qualification for a state/national government registration or license not as a credential to allow you to do some scope of work that the general public can not.

There are some other designer title you may use. You can say you have an architectural education if you do. Legally, without an active architect, you are in the same boat as I am.... a designer of buildings from the legal point of view.

Oct 26, 23 5:22 am  · 
 · 

On the international theater, there are countries that does not regulate the title and practice of architecture by occupational licensing. You will have to be careful about use of Architect title in the U.S.

Oct 26, 23 5:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: