Archinect
anchor

Prefab multifamily construction feasible?

greenlander1

has anyone ever built multistory projects w prefab?  Seems like an interesting idea but I cant wrap my head around the compliance issues, like inspection (like do they inspect the stuff offsite so they can peer into the walls before it gets delivered on site?), structural, etc.

Good or bad idea or jury still out on this?  Im skeptical myself but curious whether anyone has seen a success story here.

https://www.fullstackmodular.c...

Aug 12, 23 2:13 am
chris-chitect

Oddly enough I was touring a prefab factory today. 

Yes, it's becoming more common from what I'm seeing. Loads of social housing is being done in modules these days. There's a building a few blocks from where I live that was factory built.

I'm a bit fuzzy on what is considered a "manufactured home" and what's just some offsite construction. I know it's obvious when it looks like a mobile home, but sometimes you're just getting wall panels on site without interior finishing and everything is left open. 

Not knowing where you are, up here in Canada, there's the CSA A277 that covers manufactured homes. https://www.chba.ca/CHBA/Housi...

Years ago I worked on a prefab duplex for the federal government, as it was federal, and on federal property we didn't need local inspections but sent our own fire chief, and inspectors from the agency that would manage the duplex, up to the factory a few times for inspections. 

Aug 12, 23 2:31 am  · 
1  · 
greenlander1

Yeh Im in Los Angeles. So basically in your project the inspection process was a federal one not a state or local one in the end?

Do you think that process would be feasible if it wasnt a federal project or on federal land?

Aug 12, 23 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

Yeah, more or less, but pretty casual. There was a PM a few time zones away that just reviewed a few photos. In fact based on the photos, the fire sprinklers were re-done (local code would have allowed them to be done that way, but it's not how the specifications had them spelled out). Also being government the specifications were pretty tight and lengthy. It was a design build, but still the requirements were really clear for envelopes, hvac, plumbing and details etc...Also, this was ages ago, but I only remember four change orders, one or two were site conditions, another was an upgrade to solid core doors and maybe another for fencing. And yes I think it's totally feasible outside of a federal context. No local inspections from local authorities (although I think local electrical permits were applied for) in our case however. Here private industry is getting into it, I've even seen hotels constructed this way.

Aug 18, 23 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

In my state pre-fab is inspected at the factory prior to shipping. All the reviews are performed by the state.

Aug 12, 23 8:16 am  · 
1  · 
greenlander1

And the inspections can happen at the factory if it produced out of state? And if you dont mind sharing which state you are in...

Aug 12, 23 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Yep. Department of L&I. More akin to a product that it sold like a lamp or something. I have worked on projects with mods made in Canada and had to send inspectors there / travel to review stuff in factory before it was shipped to the states.

Aug 13, 23 11:22 am  · 
1  · 
vado retro

Manufactured is built to HUD standards while Modular is built to localized building standards. 

Aug 12, 23 9:03 am  · 
1  · 

See Stack: https://gluckplus.com/project/...

See Carmel Place: https://narchitects.com/work/c...

Plenty of news articles out there on both projects. 

Aug 12, 23 8:50 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

I work as a team to supply con docs for a 2500 man workers camp.  We flew to the factory and did inspection while some of the modulars were building built.  Thanks we flew to site and did inspections after installation.

Aug 14, 23 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
toastwaffle

Here is British Columbia we have a handful companies that focus extensively on wood prefab panels. Some produce a pretty comprehensive shop drawing package that the structural engineer can review and stamp. They can be installed open or closed, the advantage of being closed is that they can insulate the cavity before shipping on site. If they are enclosed obviously the inspector can't review the framing on site, plus you'll likely want to build a 2 x 4 service cavity just for rough-in after panels are installed. But if the engineer is stamping the shop drawings I assume the inspector would not need to review the framing on site. 

Aug 14, 23 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
toastwaffle

*Photo reviews of prefab facility for panels not uncommon. 

Aug 14, 23 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Well established (and becoming quite prevalent) in LA / California. Spend some time on the State's (CA HCD) Factory Built Housing website - plenty of info re: pre-fab. modules and their review process.

Aug 14, 23 3:03 pm  · 
2  · 
greenlander1

thanks for sharing Ill take a look

Aug 18, 23 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
vividkreations

prefab multifamily development, otherwise called secluded development, is possible and acquiring notoriety in the development business. This approach includes fabricating building parts off-site in a controlled climate and afterward collecting them on location.

Aug 23, 23 3:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: