Archinect
anchor

Exit discharge area.

michaeljk1

The photos show the area at the exit discharge from our manufacturing building. In the event of an evacuation, I believe that the existing stairs would create a potential hazard for employees, both from having to negotiate the stairs quickly and if stepping off the stairs to the side lawn given the elevation changes. However, I have not been able to locate anything more specific under OSHA regulations or IBC standards that speaks to the condition of the discharge area. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Aug 11, 23 5:45 pm
Non Sequitur

hire and pay for a professional review of the conditions. You’ll get your answer that way, not by crowd sourcing for free online. 

Aug 11, 23 7:21 pm  · 
5  · 
citizen

Agree with Non Sequitur above. In the meantime, install a handrail on each side of the stair as a temporary measure.

Aug 11, 23 9:03 pm  · 
2  · 
poop876

I'd look at that lockset first though, then if you are still confused hire a professional! I can send you an hourly contract for code review if you'd like!

Aug 14, 23 3:19 pm  · 
3  · 
bennyc

You need to look at definition of exit discharge for your project. Exit discharge could be just the door, once you are outside and into a public way, the stair is irrelevant, at least from an exit discharge point of view. Someone can just open the door and walk of the landing in the grass. 

On the other hand, you need to check osha requirements for handrail on those steps, I believe osha mandates a handrail required on 4 or more risers, which yours are 4 at least, thus missing a handrail. But that issue has nothing to do with exit discharge

Aug 14, 23 9:58 pm  · 

That is not correct. 

First off the exit discharge is the portion of the means of egress between the termination of an exit and the public way.  This includes the landing, walking surface, stair, ect.  The public way is a sidewalk, street, or an area at least 50'-0" from the building envelope . 

Second - the exit discharge is dictated by building codes, not OSHA. 

Aug 15, 23 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Not necessarily true Chad, per 1028.5.

Aug 15, 23 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Okay, you edited the comment to be a little clear. Thanks Chad

Aug 15, 23 3:01 pm  · 
1  · 
bennyc

For folks that think posting questions on here is not the way to go you sure have opinions on this. Its an architectural forum, nothing wrong with posting questions and let folks comment.

Aug 15, 23 4:51 pm  · 
1  ·  1

bennyc - I don't have opinions on this. I'm reading this directly from the IBC. Your comment is incorrect and should be called out as much.

Now I could be wrong.  Please provide the sections of the IBC that support your interpretation of this matter.  

Aug 15, 23 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

IBC 1028.2 Exit discharge definition - Exits shall discharge directly to the exterior of the building. the exit discharge shall be at grade or shall provide a direct path of egress travel to grade. the exit discharge shall not reenter a building.

1028.5 Access to a public way - The exit discharge shall provide a direct and unobstructed access to a public way. 

What I am saying is, once you are outside the door, the public way can be accessed through that concrete stair, or someone can walk on the grass from first landing, 2nd landing, 3rd or 4th. In other words, I don't think the concrete stair is an exit discharge component, but its more of an osha / code issue for handrail requirement. 

Aug 15, 23 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm not sure how OSHA is involved, so I looked. It seems clear, as they make a clear distinction between "exit routes" and "exit discharge". The former require handrails.

Aug 15, 23 6:41 pm  · 
1  · 

bennyc

The section you quoted contradicts what you said in your first post. You need to read the rest of section 1028.2. The Exit Discharge is considered part of the means of egress and must extend to a public way or a clear area (sec 1028.5). 

Since the Exit Discharge is part of the means of egress you need to follow the applicable requirements in the IBC. This includes things like stairs, guards, handrails, slope of walking surfaces, and if it’s on an accessible route ICC A117.1

Until you get to a public way you're still considered to be within a means of egress and the IBC has say in what is done.  AKA - the concrete stair is part of the Exit Discharge.

Aug 15, 23 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

I step out of the door to concrete pad and make a left or right to a clear area. The stair is irrelevant. The only issue in the question posted is if the stair is a hazard and I dont think even discussing exit discharge matters, its an osha and code thing as far as railing and riser heights.

Aug 15, 23 9:04 pm  · 

Incorrect. 

You need to get to a public way or an area at least 50' from the building. The path to get to either of those areas has to follow the requirements for an egress path in the IBC in terms of slope, stairs, handrails, and guardrails.

You are also incorrect that OSHA dictates any of the above items in an exit discharge.  I think you're confusing exit routes and exit discharge in OSHA.  

https://www.osha.gov/sites/def...

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs...

Aug 16, 23 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Remember kids, if your discharge looks wrong you should have it looked at by a licensed professional. 

Aug 14, 23 10:13 pm  · 
4  · 

Meh, I just post up some pics online and ask random strangers to diagnose things for me.

Aug 15, 23 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

If you have problematic discharge, see a doctor.

Aug 16, 23 12:47 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I am.thanks.

Aug 16, 23 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

You need to define 'problematic discharge' because once it leaves the body the fluid is irrelevant.  ;)

Aug 16, 23 3:28 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Not irrelevant to whomever it lands on =O\

Aug 17, 23 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: