Archinect
anchor

Competition Entry Review

Peripteral Magic

Hi everyone,

Here goes the entry for a EUROPAN competition I did a few years ago. Posted this online recently and I thought I would share it...

https://issuu.com/peadar_mcgra... 

I would appreciate any comments on presentation or content.

Many thanks! 

PS. Geographical location is stunningly beautiful. I recommend a quick visit if you ever happen to be nearby. (good wine too!)

Aug 17, 17 10:33 am
Non Sequitur

Those renderings are just... well, they are awful. Would it kill you to work the shadows a little or even add some texture/material to those blank walls of boredom?

Aug 17, 17 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Peripteral Magic

Thanks for the feedback, NS...

Point taken. I admit the 3d visuals might be a bit raw... and in response to your question I have to say that it probably wouldn't kill me if I spent some time trying to improve them. 

But is it worth it? Don't these get the message across? Are realistic 3d images that important? I personally don't think so... and I have grown tired of their ubiquituous presence lately. It almost seems like a prerequisite in order to convey a project properly, a tool without which most designers are completely lost. We need images, clients need images, everybody seems to need images in this plastic-coated Photoshopped world!

Give me good old 2d drawings over realistic 3d visuals any day... 

Aug 17, 17 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Realistic required? No. Quality? Yes. The 3D stuff catches the attention, the 2D drawings add content. Overall, the book looks very amateurish with the large unfinished 3D stuff and tiny drawings. Can't figure out what is important since everything is jammed in. Plenty can be done without making it look like you hit every filter option in photoshop. 8-)

Aug 17, 17 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Peripteral Magic

Thanks for that... I will try my best to improve my booklet following those pearls of wisdom. :)

Aug 18, 17 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Guess you didn't win by the looks of it.

Aug 17, 17 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Peripteral Magic

Guess you're the next Sherlock Holmes, by the looks of your sharp and witty deductions... :D

Aug 18, 17 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Sorry but it looks simply horrible, from the graphic design of the booklet to the (ab)use of type and the screenshot "renders", use of colour in your drawings, the works. I'd personally be embarrassed to put that stuff out there with my name on it. And when some (not me obviously) give you some tips and pointers you respond almost offended and start lashing out, the biggest problem might not be the booklet but your way of responding to critique/criticism, how do you edit your output and how did you ever managed architecture school?

Aug 18, 17 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Sorry for being a dick, I don't respond well to criticism/lash out sometimes when not having slept properly for a few days.

Aug 18, 17 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Peripteral Magic

Hahaha... No need to apologise, Mr Randomised. I can take the criticism, in fact I'm more than happy to have a debate on architectural topics. When did I lash out? You must be on some kind of hallucinogenic drugs if you got the impression I lashed out at anybody... I feel sorry for you if that is the case: don't do drugs! I wouldn't say you're being a dick, I just don't seem to know what you're talking about... Abuse of type? Are you serious??? I recommend you read Vignelli's canon. I am no expert on graphic design, so I have tried to follow his tips to the letter. That is why I'm slightly surprised to hear my booklet being described as "amateurish" and having an "abbuse of type". But you're obviously an expert, so I will not question what you say... I would love to see the kind of work you have done though, the kind of work that is worthy of your name. Just to gauge the calibre of the genius I have the fortune to learn from...

Aug 18, 17 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Well, I'm glad you don't take offense, I was too late to edit it. I can't show you my epic work for it would reveal my true identity, that's how good it is ;-)

Aug 19, 17 2:49 am  · 
 · 
Peripteral Magic

childish comment, mate... playground stuff... I'm sure you will find plenty of other kids to play around here. I won't entertain you any longer, sorry...

Aug 19, 17 4:59 am  · 
 · 

What's the hook/main point of the project? It looks like a typical "new town" and even just kind of looks like a copy of Weissenhof Siedlung.

Aug 17, 17 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Peripteral Magic

The main point of the project was to provide 12,000 square metres of residential floor space without disrupting the rural landscape or at least minimising the impact of the built mass. In other words, to provide a strategy for growth that would be informed by the specific conditions of this small fishing village, squeezed between the sea and the sloping vineyards.

Aug 18, 17 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Peripteral Magic

(Not sure what you mean by typical "new town"... are you talking about Ed'burgh here? New Haven? Bcn's Eixample? Definitely a copy of the Weissenhof project inasmuch as it has flat roofs, windows, floor slabs, doors and an interior volume defined by an external envelope... Very observant! Cheers...)

Aug 18, 17 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Peripteral Magic

Many thanks for your invaluable feedback, guys... It's really appreciated and it will definitely help me to improve my publication.

Aug 18, 17 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Quality of the renderings aside, I get what you are trying to do. The rendering on page 6 is probably the most convincing in terms of trying to insert this complex into the existing natural topography and architectural context.  Your site planning has some nice qualities. However, the design itself reads very "corporate office park" and lacks human scale. Also, your building is red... wtf. Your landscape of very high shear walls, illustrated on pages 1 and 8 give the impression of a prison yard and not a very inviting place to be.

Aug 19, 17 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Peripteral Magic

That's a good comment, Medusa... unfortunately quite rare around these parts (from what I have seen so far) for somebody to articulate a well grounded review. Cheers for that... I accept your concern regarding the height of retaining walls and the "corporate office park" comment. However I disagree about RED not being an acceptable colour for a building. Ceramic tiles are red, for God's sake! (Renzo Piano's IRCAM next to the Pompidou in Paris is a good example...)

Aug 19, 17 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: