Archinect
anchor

Architecture Technologist diploma to M.Arch possible?

yoonie

Hi, I took 1 year of architecture in UofT and dropped out because it was terrible and useless

Now I got myself into Architecture Technology 3 yr program at George Brown 

I thought I'd be fine living off just as a architectural technologist but I've read several posts and comments that it's better to have M.Arch or even a Bachelors 

So now I really feel like I screwed over and I don't have time or money to waste 

The choice I can think of is bridge over to B. Tech (3 yrs) because George Brown doesn't offer B.Arch and then get into M.Arch or switch schools again and do 4 yr to get B. Arch 

Are there any alternatives? 

Also, will B.Tech be worth it if I don't go or M.Arch? What do you guys think? 

Jul 25, 17 2:41 pm
senjohnblutarsky

Find another Bachelor's you can complete in less than the 3 years required for the B. Tech.  Apply to grad school upon completion of Bachelor's degree.  Your 3 year technology degree has to have some classes that work for other majors. Just add in the rest and get the full bachelors. 

Jul 25, 17 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good move leaving UofT's undergrad program. Your tech diploma is not a waste, and certainly better than UofT in the long run, however, in order to be admissible for intern architect in Canada, you'll need an accredited M.Arch degree (or American B.Arch).

Simplest way is to complete/transfer into any bachelor's degree and apply for the best M.Arch program available. It'll likely be a 3y deal. The longest way is through the RAIC syllabus.

Jul 25, 17 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

The Syllabus is the longest way but you get all your intern hours with your provincial association while you are enrolled the program.  Which means you can get your  licence sooner after finishing the program.  No need to intern for years after graduation.

Jul 25, 17 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

https://www.raic-syllabus.ca/

Jul 25, 17 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Almosthip, the syllabus is not for everyone and the traditional March is still superior. You also have the advantage of holding an advanced degree so that opens more options.
Jul 25, 17 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Oh I agree the Syllabus is defiantly not for everyone.  Was just trying to give some benefits to the longer path. 

Jul 25, 17 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: