Archinect
anchor

THESIS CONFUSION!

rutaba

Well I'm towards the end of my fourth year of architecture and fifth year is my final year in architecture. where we have to give thesis on one topic but I'm really confused about what topic to do. First I thought about making an interactive place for older age people but after discussing with my friends and senior. This topic can't really work in Pakistan. The other I thought about doing was low income cost housing society but most of the people in my class are planning to do that and I'm really confused about what should I do. I have no idea. I need some help.

As, I'm an Frank Gehry craze. my pervious sketch have an identity of Frank Gehry and I had a project in my third year where we had to chose one architect and make an car showroom. well I chose Frank Gehry and I loved that project and then in my third year the last final project was to make a hotel and I did that on golden ratio. LOVED working on geometry.

so if anyone can help, what should I do about my thesis.

HELP!!! 

Jun 8, 17 1:07 pm
rutaba

I'm thinking over every topic I see on internet. Because I can't really of anything myself.It's more like my brain is freeze Right now.

Jun 8, 17 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Go for a walk. That usually helps me think.

Jun 8, 17 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, you have a bit to figure it out. Enjoy the process of not knowing - it will come to you at some point. Embrace doubt and uncertainty.

Jun 8, 17 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Go to the nearest pub and hash out ideas on coasters while enjoying a pint or three.
Jun 8, 17 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

...or twelve

Jun 8, 17 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

It all really depends on your institutions pedagogy, (really technical proyects, theoretical, conceptual, etc.) I'm not saying to go with what is typically acceptable or easier, but it'll help you decide on what scale you want to work on and what to expect .

Either way, It's just better to bring a variety of local/international pertinent topics/problematics to the table. Research said topics with pros and cons and discuss them with whoever your mentor adn studio would be.

Jun 9, 17 9:47 am  · 
 · 
rutaba

before all this, I get to give my idea about my thesis and then teachers decide the level of it.

Jun 9, 17 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
noire

Well you got two months to think and research. Make the most of it.

Jun 9, 17 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

A good thesis is one that does a lot of work to your benefit. It may benefit other, but it must benefit you first.

Work is not the product, but the active process of reconciling your thought process (a position) with a self-imposed problem (the "site") and the tools used to document your process (artifacts).

Do some reading and looking over the course of the summer, and ask yourself where the overlaps occur with these things and your academic interests. 

Remember, this is the last opportunity you will have to challenge yourself and to demonstrate to others that you are indeed a strong designer. 

Jun 9, 17 11:58 am  · 
 · 
rutaba

well 
my friend suggested me a site to work on. she is saying, I should look for the history and problems and try to find a solution . she was like architecture can't solve every problem. TO have a better thesis it's better I should find a problem first and then its solution 

what do you think?

Jun 9, 17 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, but stop listening to what other people think (including this site) and do some work for yourself.

Jun 10, 17 11:10 am  · 
 · 
cmn_architect

One view is that if you like Frank Gehry's projects, try to research more on the computational design field such as BIM. 

Jun 9, 17 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's not what you think it means.

Jun 9, 17 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
rutaba

Good idea.

Thanks I will of that :)

Jun 9, 17 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

BIM =/= computational design

Jun 9, 17 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
cmn_architect

@rutaba you are welcome, good luck

Jun 9, 17 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

A project is not a thesis...

Jun 9, 17 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: