Archinect
anchor

Dropping out of one school's M.Arch and applying to another?

Gloryshand

Hey Hey - 

This is my first post so I apologize for any broken conventions.

I am a new 3-year M.Arch student at a state school that I love. I largely chose my school based on extraneous factors that were and remain important to me (other programs I am involved in, etc). 

However, certain elements of my professional life (international experience and entrepreneurial opportunities in real estate) have clicked into place that make me a) interested in the top-tier programs such as Harvard and MIT and b) consider myself more competitive for these degrees. 

Has anyone ever dropped out of an M.Arch after a year or so, and gone to a different school? I know most schools don't formally accept transfers, besides Yale.

Thanks a lot!

Jun 7, 17 1:53 pm
Dangermouse

>Has anyone ever dropped out of an M.Arch after a year or so, and gone to a different school?

Yes, it happens.  Usually you transfer down, not up.  

>a) interested in the top-tier programs such as Harvard and MIT and >b) consider myself more competitive for these degrees. 

You demonstrate competitiveness by finishing what you've already started with a high degree of excellence.  If you transferred--which has an outside chance of happening, BTW, unless you're some sort of design god--you'd be an M.Arch I candidate at the GSD, starting in first semester core.  That is a four year program, so for you, 7 years for an M.Arch.  Ouch.  If you finish your current program, you can apply for an M.Arch II, which is a two years. You could also apply to the MDes REBE (real estate and the built environment); again, two years.  

My 2c: stay where you are, finish your degree, then apply for a post professional degree at MIT/GSD

Jun 7, 17 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Gloryshand

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. Three follow up questions...

1) if the Harvard degree takes four years, can you clarify how it would take me seven years if I join the program next fall? 

2) would schools let an M.Arch holder join their M.Arch 2 program? Would there be marginal benefit there?

3) this is getting tangential but do you see post-professional students as looked down on at Harvard and related schools? 

Perhaps I'll instead plan to finish this degree and pursue a top-tier LA degree afterwards; I was torn between the programs when I applied for my current degree. 

Thanks again!

Jun 7, 17 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

1) 3 (current M.Arch) + 4 (MIT/GSD)
2) Depends (AP)
3) I don't think so. By that merit, they would look down on non-arch background students too?

Jun 7, 17 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

not to repeat archietechie excessively, but:

1) For the GSD, your studios < their studios (broadly speaking).  Its about pedagogy

2) I believe so

3) No.  

Jun 7, 17 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
Your credits may not transfer
Jun 8, 17 2:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: