Archinect
anchor

Path to Architect

Gruffalow

Hello Hello

First time poster, got a question for all you licensed Architects.

Brief description:  Mechanical Engineer B.S. degree and have 4 years of manufacturing engineering work experience.  Realized I want to do more design work, specifically affordable housing.  Maybe even pursue career in NASA as a space architect (SICSA).

So I was planning to get an M.Arch.  Or maybe just go straight to SICSA, who knows?  I have two paths I could take and I wanted your opinions on what would be best (from the eyes of an admissions officer).

Problems with application: Sub par undergrad GPA.  Haven't taken GRE yet.  No portfolio since...well I haven't had a need for one.

Path 1: Keep Engineering job.  Build portfolio on my own somehow.  Ace the GRE (insert nailed it meme).  Apply to M.Arch.

Path 2: Quit Engineering job.  Take Community College courses to build portfolio.  Local college has A.A. degree, which even offers internship experience.  Get great recommendation letter from Local College professor and internship supervisor.  Apply to M.Arch.

Will be applying at the same time, regardless of which path.  Thoughts?  Am I crazy for dropping engineering and pursuing architecture?  

May 29, 17 10:10 pm
Gruffalow

When I said space architecture, I didn't only mean lunar or martian base architecture.  I meant basically all habitats in space, which includes the ISS and the new modules that we can add onto that station.  Experience with space architecture, being that it is one of the most extreme conditions to design for, can also play a part in terrestrial architecture: polar, volcanic, deep sea regions, etc.

Although designing a lunar base would be off the hook, wouldn't it?

In terms of Trumps NASA bill, I'm a bit confused.  I know he signed a NASA bill to go to Mars, but I read somewhere that he also cut NASA funding.  Say what?

To do affordable housing, what do you suggest I pursue instead?  

May 30, 17 12:40 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Have you looked into a Master in Industrial Design? This may be more diverse and provide you a more opportunities, especially when paired with an ME degree.

ID seems to be quite a bit more diverse, and you could apply it to more areas, such as transportation design etc.

May 30, 17 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Yeah Ive met a few people who went from ME to ID and it very often translates quite well. ID is a very design-based type of ME from the projects Ive seen, and I think it would have a lot more value to you if the space stuff is what you want. Architecture may not necessarily be the right path.

May 30, 17 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: