Archinect
anchor

professional character modeler looking to learn how to do 3d architecture quickly

Emisphere66

Hi!

I've been working in the 3d field for around 10 years, i know my way very well around anything related to character modeling in 3dsmax and of course zbrush etc. 

I have some renos coming up and i'd like to do some pre-planning before meeting an actual architect. The project atm is the small backyard + retaining walls +stepping stones+balconies of duplex + stair to roof. And later i'd do the 3 floors of the house.

I need your help though to pick the right program. Should I keep going with 3dsmax, vray etc? i dont mind putting a few additional hours of learning if it's worth it, like a skill i could add to my cv or somethin. How long does it take to learn how to do floor plans and models stuff and light it with vray? Any prefabs i can buy from stores? Or should i just go with an easier program that's kind of all built in? I mean i would love to learn new skills but i do not plan to be a professional architect. So in short, how best to invest my time to learn? 

All suggestions welcome, thx in advance!

May 24, 17 1:03 pm
archietechie

Yep, 3dsMax + VRay would suffice. Modelling everything within a week is a safe window.

ADesk Revit would be a better alternative though.

May 24, 17 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

No it wouldn't. He already knows max, that's more than sufficient for modeling.

Revit is a construction document generating program. He doesn't need that for what amounts to a 3D sketch of a backyard.

May 24, 17 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Emisphere66

I'll take another look at Revit.

May 25, 17 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Emisphere66

Is there any prefabs i can buy for any of those programs? like a bunch of different railings for balconies and material presets for wood etc. I mean, i can do it but it would speed up the process

May 25, 17 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
proto

not sure why you need to model your renovation before you've got a designer to help design it?

concentrate on clarifying what your goals for the renovation are. write a list and start ranking the items in terms of needs, wants & wishes. then let your architect help you with what he does best

if you still want to model/render it of his schematic design drawings, go for it 

May 24, 17 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Emisphere66

to your question: i guess i wanted to go as far as possible with the design because i can. It would save me money and i'd get the fun of learning something new. Maybe also I'm thinking ill be more satisfied with the result if i can add my input that way.

May 25, 17 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Adding a 3rd floor? Probably best to hire a professional before you get carried away.
May 24, 17 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Emisphere66

actually connecting the existing floors

May 25, 17 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: