Archinect
anchor

Undergrad U.K. Or Canada

gorann
Hi everyone,

I am entering undergrad of 2017. I really need to make my uni choices and it is very hard. I am an international student and the idea of visiting those unis is out.

I applied to do architecture. I am mostly interested in its design side... I am open to career development - branching fields such as interior, landscape and may be even product design in the future.

Here is the short summary.

U of T (BA of Architectural Studies)- has a great ranking. Many people hate it, which scares me. However, I like Toronto and that the department is moving into a new building is also encouraging. It seems as a very theory based course and I am conserned about its design side. The department doesn't specify how many students are admitted this year. It concerns me if the no. is way to big. 4 years total.

U of Reading (BSc of Architecture)- 30 min train from London. Very young department. My year will be the second intake. Has a good build-construction school. Only 40 studens are admitted. Is it good or bad ? Sadly, Not yet RIBA accredited. 3 years total.

I also have Uni of Sheffield, but I was admitted to do Landscape Architecture, not architecture. I want to start from an architecture degree to make up my mind later. May be I could transfer/ change courses once I will be there, not sure though. It addly seems as a very non- international place to be. However, the arch school is very strong.

I also have Uni of Alberta - BDes. I liked that I could specify myself as a product- industrial designer in the future. It seems as very friendly place. Not as international may be, as would have liked.

I know it is such a mix. Really I am choosing between U of T and U of Reading.

How did you choose your university ? What was the main fact that sealed the deal ? What should I focus on the most when making the decision?

May 12, 17 7:24 pm
Non Sequitur
UofT is not an architecture undergrad. It's a bad, low bar Bachelor of Arts who's only purpose is to allow its students free passage into their M.arch.
May 12, 17 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
Chuck71

Apologies if I am stating the obvious, but you should check on the accreditation of the course.

If you want your degree to be recognised in your home country, you should be sure that the degree is at least recognised in the country where the award will be given, and recognised by the necessary bodies, such as the registration authorities (which the RIBA isn't in the UK, though it may be internationally considered a recognised body).

Not being RIBA for University of Reading is not necessarily a problem, as it wouldn't be accredited until it ended the Part 1, and that won't occur for another year when the 3rd year would be over. Ditto Architects Registration Board UK (ARB).

[One of my colleagues did a Mechanical Engineering degree in a university branded to have a partnership with a UK university, which has ended up with her having a degree not being recognised either in the UK or locally]

May 13, 17 3:10 am  · 
 · 
TED

Agree - Reading will be RIBA Part 1/ARB - some good people joining the team. Having 40 students in a year is a blessing - many 'named' big UK players have well over 100 to 200. Not the best environment for student learning.

May 13, 17 5:13 am  · 
 · 
gorann
Thank you !
May 13, 17 4:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: