Archinect
anchor

What is this material

Jcz20

Hoping someone can help identify this material:

I saw this trim and angle material at a Panera restuarant, which from a few feet away looked like blackened steel.  Of course when I got up closer it wasn't, and I'm sure being a large chain like Panera it was something far more economical.  The craftsmanship of the install wasn't great but it had the character of treated metal, and I'd love to find out what it is and how to specify as an alternative to blackened steel for some smaller-budget interior projects.  From the look of the cut end piece, it seemed like a composite/plastic material, maybe similar in composition to a trex.  It was used here in angle shapes and flat 'bars' trimming corners and openings.

Appreciate any help...

May 11, 17 9:18 pm
mtdew

It looks like blackened steel. I don't know of any composite materials in those shapes. Test it with a magnet next time. 

May 12, 17 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Various clues say that's almost definitely metal, most likely steel, or possibly aluminum. Both are easy and inexpensive to get in standard shapes like that. It probably just has black paint on it, or possibly black powder coating, but it looks like paint to me.  

May 12, 17 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

I see blackened steel also, or is it just mill finish?

May 12, 17 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Jcz20

Thanks for the input. It didn't feel like metal and the cut end also didn't have to look, but I'll have to revisit, maybe next time with a magnet.

We use blackened steel and sometimes blackened stainless often in higher end residential work and I've always known it to be a pricey component, as best I understand in our case it's most typically acid applied on cold rolled steel, perhaps some of the other methods are most cost effective.  The finish here had too much and character and contrast for me to think it was just painted steel, though again maybe a specific process in the powder coating or painting to achieve this.

I'll take a second look.

While we're at it, can anyone share how they would typically spec a blackened steel or aluminum to achieve this look without a big price tag?  Thanks again! 

May 12, 17 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Kieran Timberlake

They did an exhaustive study of how to "blacken" steel. Not say that's what was done here, but man, this was really helpful.

May 12, 17 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Jcz20

Thanks all

May 12, 17 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: