Archinect
anchor

Architecture in Vietnam

sidewinder

I've been noticing a large amount of beautiful projects from Vietnam being published on ArchDaily, Dezeen, and other online architecture publications/blogs. I have not been able to find any articles about Vietnamese architecture in general. But, is there is a sort of design renaissance going on there?I am just curious if anyone has noticed the same thing or has any information about Vietnamese architecture?

Example projects:

Most viewed project on ArchDaily in 2016

Pavilion of the Origins

Scent House

Apartment in Binh Thanh

Mành Mành salon

Atlas Hotel Hoian 

Apr 24, 17 11:35 am
sidewinder

I'm now wondering if the vernacular style there - wood, plants, natural materials, etc. is just really in style right now and these projects are getting a lot of clicks because of that. 

Apr 24, 17 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Schoon

I've noticed this too.  One of my favorites is the Vegan House.

Apr 24, 17 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Seems very much like the typical tropical architecture that's very prevalent in the Asiatic and a bit of South American region to me. It's like McD's though, just because it's everywhere doesn't mean it's all that great.

WOHA's pretty notorious a firm in the region for swiping most of these innovations from the original pioneer, Ken Yeang (his discourse on Eco/Green skyscrapers are pretty in depth). Ultimately, throw in a few green walls and you'll get the desired effect you want.

Apr 24, 17 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I think its a form of modernism that I really love.  Its dirty in the best way.  A sort of breath of fresh air from the rigid perfectly clean looking minimalist stuff that dominated the arch mags for the last few decades.   Which I also like but kinda getting tired of.  

Apr 24, 17 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
good details

Totally agree!! I'm heading to Vietnam soon, going to try to get a job somewhere. Going to shoot for the stars and try to see if I can do a brief internship at Vo Trong Nghia Architects.

Apr 24, 17 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

What is most important is that the perfect minimalist stuff is very expensive. This type of work lends itself well to the use of less expensive marerials and tectonics. style can either demand an elitist clientele or allow for a more economically versatile clientele. I would argue that the minimalist perfect detailed clean line stuff creates a situation where the artistic desires/goals of the designer lead to a narrowed sphere of influence.

Apr 25, 17 8:07 am  · 
 · 
good details

Yep, another aspect is the perfect minimalist stuff starts to look really bad the moment blemishing/aging take place. The beautifully mundane sterility instantly begins to look dirty. On the other hand, this vernacular modernity takes age in stride. The whole Japanese notion of wabi-sabi comes to mind.

Apr 25, 17 11:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: