Archinect
anchor

WashU or UT-Austin for Master of Urban Design

larchitecture

After working for a few years, I've been accepted to both of the aforementioned programs for Fall '17. I'm leaning toward UT for financial reasons, but I've got a few days to decide and I wanted to see if anyone had insight into either of these programs at these schools.

UT pros:

-In-state tuition

-*Possible* part-time position with current employer

-I can continue to network with local design professionals and build on the relationships I've already made in the state (don't need to start over, per se)

UT cons:

-Feels more like a lateral move than an upward move from my undergraduate university

-Small class size

-Longer program (1.5 years vs. 1 calendar year)

-The faculty seemed to have something of a blasé, almost unengaged attitude, and both visits I took there left me feeling slightly underwhelmed

-Program is still in its infancy, and isn't well known even among urban design professionals

WashU pros:

-I got the exact opposite impression from the faculty and students than I did from those at UT. Everyone was very engaged, welcoming, and helpful.

-Large class size

-Recognition and prestige (second-oldest MUD program in the US)

-Well-organized curriculum. I know it's important for most people that graduate school offers a good amount of freedom, but I think it's important that a one-year program keeps students on track and disciplined.

WashU cons:

-$$$ (even with merit scholarship)

-Moving to Misery

-The desire to obtain a master's degree in urban design after achieving an accredited Arch/LA degree is already prone to skepticism, and one can make the argument that prestige and value of education just aren't worth it for such an obscure industry

Apr 11, 17 3:32 pm
larchitecture

Bump?

Apr 12, 17 11:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: