Archinect
anchor

Gimme Some 'Post-Nominals' That are Easy To Get....

MysteryMan

...and will help with earning power.  Also, let's stipulate that 'AIA', 'RA' or even 'NCARB' gets you up the Architectural ladder w/ regard to $Bucks.

What other of them fancy letters has gotten you a raise?  A better Job? More Clientele?

Mar 16, 17 12:59 am
Non Sequitur
None of those letters automatically equal a raise you fool. What you bring to the office and your experience/skill set will determine how many $bucks you earn.
Mar 16, 17 6:11 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

by the time you get FAIA you are already making bank....nominals mean nothing other than you have you occasionally explain AIA does not mean licensed, it means licensed and part of a club.

Mar 16, 17 7:16 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Seeing as you pay money to get most all of the credentials, I'd say it's not worth your time to think of it in this way. 

LEED is a joke.

No one even knows about Green Globes. 

Various healthcare and education groups exist.  And you know what? You have to pay to be in all of them. All certifications of that sort are just marketing moneygrabs. 

Mar 16, 17 8:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Same thing with the "pay to be published" awards. Can't believe a senior int-des fell for one of those scams a few months back. Person gets an email claiming their design "won" an aware following "extensive" review (the catch, this person does cubicle shuffling and carpet selection, not design) and starts organizing with the firm's owner for publication. I step in: "You know that's a publishing scam where they give awards to whom-ever pays their fees?" Crickets followed.

Mar 16, 17 8:31 am  · 
 · 
citizen

"...AIA does not mean licensed, it means licensed and part of a club."

True, but many a client doesn't know this, and will hire (for the aforementioned $$) based on those letters, over a licensed non-club member.  

Mar 16, 17 11:25 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

People who do lunch and learns don't have a clue about the difference.

Mar 16, 17 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Of course not. But, again, some clients don't either, yet hire (and send check$) based on the letters.  Not saying that's smart, only  true.

Mar 16, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Esq.

Mar 16, 17 11:44 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Good One! And very true.

Mar 16, 17 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yeah, its annoying explaining AIA is same as RA with regard to license. i ought to sue the AIA for hours lost explaining this to potential clients. so far no money difference to note...

Mar 16, 17 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

if you are not licensed use AAIA, no one knows the difference either....associates

Mar 16, 17 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I wish I could report that 'PhD' automatically spikes the income.

Mar 16, 17 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

MF

/SOB
Mar 16, 17 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I've noticed one doofus on this fine website uses 'FAIA'...apparently he thinks that means "F-ing Axxhole In Architecure".  It does not.

Mar 16, 17 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

...and there is another, more mysterious, doofus here who thinks simply paying for vanity letters after your name = payday.

Mar 17, 17 7:55 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I'd venture he thinks it means something different. But definitely involves an f bomb.

Mar 17, 17 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: