Archinect
anchor

M.Arch with no previous architectural background

ssssds

Hello,

I'm an international student with B.A in psychology. I got accepted from U.Penn and U.Michigan M.arch1 program this year without financial aid.

I have a few question and hope some people give me advice.

- Would it be worth to attend M.arch program paying $40,000 per year?

Since I have no background, everything I learn in gardschool would be very new and interesting for me. However, M.arch programs are too expensive and it does not guarantee anything about my profession or salary after graduation. 

Recently I'm thinking of pursuing B.arch instead of M.arch, probably in European countries. B.arch program in Europe might take longer time to complete the degree, but the tuition fee is much cheaper than M.arch programs in the U.S.

What do you think? Do you think 'master' program and title is worth for that much tuition fees in architecture field? 

- I'm currently in age 25. Is it too late to start a new career path?

If I pursue and complete architecture degree from now on, I will be almost 30 year-old when graduating school. Does 'age' affect much when getting a job?

Many people told me not to get into architecture field, unless I passionately want it. I know it is tough profession to follow, but at the same time I think it is very interesting and fascinating field. I'm not sure if I have enough 'passion' for it, but at least I like it. If I am hesitating, would it be better not to pursue architecture?

Please comment any opinion or advice. Thank you!

Mar 15, 17 12:43 pm
StarvingDesigner

I would say take the cheapest route with a B.Arch or even a B.A. in Arch because a M.Arch isn't necessary for getting a job at a good office (or even getting licensed). Avoid getting strapped with student loans forever from an expensive graduate program! Especially since it won't get you farther salary-wise. And age doesn't really matter. I would say go for it, but in a cost-effective, smart way.

Mar 16, 17 2:43 am  · 
 · 
Driko

null

Mar 16, 17 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Wouldn't normally recommend going down the expensive route but considering you don't have any background, going into ivy is an excellent opportunity for you to make a mark in the industry.

Besides, you're there not only for the education system but the contacts and job opportunities..

Mar 16, 17 3:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Take the cheapest option. No arch degree is worth $40k per year.
Mar 16, 17 6:08 am  · 
 · 
razdaz

Well done for getting into UPenn!

Did you submit design projects in your portfolio? Just asking as you said you don't come from a design background.

I would love to hear what sort of things were in your application as I'm sort of in the same boat and looking at universities in Europe.. and have no idea how my application is going to go down as I've not heard of one instance outside the U.S where a non-architecture grad has got on to an MArch.

Not sure anyone will give me a loan for $40,000 otherwise I would so go for a US MArch.

Oh and you are definitely not too old for a career change ! :) 

Mar 16, 17 11:33 am  · 
 · 
ssssds

Thanks for your comment. In my portfolio, I included a design project which I did at Introduction to architecture(GSAPP summer program), and several personal artworks. It seems there is no specific type of contents required for admission. You can include drawing, photography, design work or anything you think meaningful. Try to check admission FAQ section. Most schools provide sort of general guideline. Good luck for your application!

Mar 18, 17 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

don't go into architecture. it will set you back financially for a long time and that will take a toll on your mental health. go do a design program that focuses on architecture or even take a look at the MS arch programs. I think a few MS arch programs might be 1 year, correct me if im wrong. These will not allow you to be a licensed professional but there are alot of jobs in the architecture field where you do not need a license. 

i like your idea of going to eurpoe to learn. if there are any options out there that are cheaper i would take those over any M.Arch. Keep in mind that the most valuable thing you have is time. Time is finite and money is not so with that the euro idea might be bad if its going to take more than 4 years. 

passion doesnt mean anything. Everyone who starts architecture/ arch school is passionate, so they say. You will get hit in the face a dozen times and passion will fade away. Those who are truly great in the architecture field are determinate.

Mar 16, 17 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: