Archinect
anchor

Summer Programs in Architecture - Examples of creative work

morimotor

Hi Everyone - First post on the forum so bear with me.

I'm applying to the GSAPP Intro to Architecture program this summer (and have spent a lot of time reading through the old threads; very helpful thank you all!) and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for how to package examples of creative work for the purpose of the application.

As someone who works in operations and who does not have any creative undergrad degree, I don't maintain an organized portfolio. That said, I'm a hobbyist photographer, am active in Google Sketchup and helped the start-up I work at design our current office (alongside an architect and contractor). As such, I'm planning to compile images from each of these categories and write up a short brief for each section (inspired by the portfolios of architecture students I have seen).

Would really appreciate if someone could validate that I'm on the right track or not.

Mar 12, 17 10:29 pm
manda_

Hey there, I did the GSAPP Intro to Architecture program this past summer and did not provide any examples of creative work for my application. I don't think you need to worry about it!

Mar 13, 17 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
morimotor

Thanks so much for the reply; did not end up needing to submit examples of creative work. Just accepted and am excited to attend.

Mar 21, 17 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
maya0401

hi! I also did the intro to architecture at GSAPP this last summer, and I think I didn't summit anything like that. I think it's just optional and you don't really need it (read carefully the instructions because I may be wrong)

Overall is a great program, but it really depends on the teacher you got.

If you want to check the work I did its here on my portfolio : https://issuu.com/williammaya/docs/william_maya_portfolio_01-06_sint30

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Mar 13, 17 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
morimotor

Thanks for the reply. Double checked the instructions and you're correct in that it's optional. Just accepted and am excited to attend.

Flipped through your portfolio; great stuff!

Mar 21, 17 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
ivania.guto

Hey @maya0401! I looked at your portfolio and its really cool. I specially noticed what you accomplished during Columbia's Intro to Architecture, since it looks very advanced. I noticed that it obviously has a deep conceptual background, but it also shows a down-to-earth proposal, like I could actually see a building and floor plans and architectural planning per se, instead of something completely artsy. Im mentioning this because I got acepted into GSAPP's program this summer, and while I am obviously thrilled at the idea of completing this program I have my doubts regarding it. Im currently majoring on Architecture at an undergraduate's program, so I do have previous knowledge in architecture. How helpful would you consider GSAPP's program for someone with previous training in architecture? It's not that I wont learn anything, but Im just trying to figure out if it really fits people of all levels of training in architecture. Please help me out here, im really confused!!!!

May 1, 18 4:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: