Archinect
anchor

Columbia MSAAD_questions

I got an acceptance from Columbia for MSAAD program. 

1) MSAAD is not a NAAB accredited course,will it really affect one's career as a practing architect? Who wants to work in the US after graduating for a year or so to recover the loan?
2) Can one apply for any scholarship / grants before or after joining the course?Which one's?
3) Does the FAFSA benefit? 
4) What kind of job/assistantship/researcher/fellowship can one apply and get? They have mentioned from 3000$-25000$..what kind of pofile does one have to offer to get a value of 25000$.
5) I am going to take a loan for the entire amount of $1,25,645 and then plan to pay it back eventually. Does Columbia help us with job placements? Espically to MSAAD students..if not how difficult is it to get a job on your own?
6) The MsAAD programe is not a STEM course. Is there appropriate value in the US market after passing out from this course..What would be the minimum salary of a person graduating from this course?

Looking forward to your insights! :) 

Mar 10, 17 10:12 pm
batman

1) MSAAD is not a NAAB accredited course,will it really affect one's career as a practing architect? Who wants to work in the US after graduating for a year or so to recover the loan?

MS.AAD is just an advanced studies for those who already CAME from a NAAB background. but it doesn't affect your job prospects. i know classmates who were in that program and got jobs fine.

2) Can one apply for any scholarship / grants before or after joining the course?Which one's?

if you're an international student I don't think they offer any need based scholarships, but there are scholarships available throughout the year for international students. or you can apply for a highly coveted T.A position and that usually covers a good portion of your tuition. 

3) Does the FAFSA benefit? 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think FAFSA offers scholarships to grad students?

4) What kind of job/assistantship/researcher/fellowship can one apply and get? They have mentioned from 3000$-25000$..what kind of pofile does one have to offer to get a value of 25000$.

a lot of of people try to apply for those $25,000 ones. it has to do a lot with luck, how close you are to the professors/administrators, and how well you know your shit.

5) I am going to take a loan for the entire amount of $1,25,645 and then plan to pay it back eventually. Does Columbia help us with job placements? Espically to MSAAD students..if not how difficult is it to get a job on your own?

wait a minute...it's going to cost you $1 MILLION dollars just to come for a year of schooling? Maaan...columbia knows how to rob their international students. Just to give you an eye opener, going to the MSAAD program won't necessarily place you higher than your M.arch peers in terms of jobs.

It's only recently that they hired a career adviser but they don't do enough to really network students or provide a lot of job opportunities in my opinion. they'll circulate weekly newsletter that'll advertise opening, but its not as frequent as MS.RED. I would say there's at least one or two job emails a week from the MS.RED program. 

6) The MsAAD programe is not a STEM course. Is there appropriate value in the US market after passing out from this course..What would be the minimum salary of a person graduating from this course?

dont know what STEM is. can't answer

Looking forward to your insights! :) 

Mar 10, 17 11:21 pm  · 
 · 

I have practiced in India for almost 2 years and associated to the Council of Architecture,India. How will they evaluate my license and give me a  NAAB background to work in US? 

The tution fee is actually $ 82,530. Yes i know it is damn expensive! That's exactly whats freaking me out. How much maximum time do you think would I take to recover that amount approximately? 

Thankyou so much for addressing my concerns :) 

Mar 10, 17 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
batman

if you're going to the MS.AAD to get licensed in the US, i would advise you to check on the NAAB website or even contact them before dropping that much money. I don't the know the answer to that.

as for paying back loans if you do take out loans..it depends on your paycheck/salary + your monthly expenses. but you seem like you have a fair of amount of experience so i wouldn't be surprised if you're landing $60K jobs if you do come out here (without the going to MS.AAD). but do check whether you need to attend a NAAB school in US just to get licensed. 

Mar 11, 17 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I was accepted into this program a couple years back, I had a Masters in Architecture already. I wanted to go to MS.AAD because I was interested in teaching, and it is a good program to get into academia. I was offered about 50% funding but chose not to go as it was still 40K + cost of living and loss of wages.

It is a good brand name for people outside of architecture such as future clients, and good for the teaching route and/or pursuing more research/theory work. I did not go and I took the route of working (getting paid) to build actual cool and complex projects.

If I came from money, I would of went hands down.  But the reality of it, was that it was out of my attainable cost. The name was not worth the debt to make the same amount of money after.

Now after working several years, I realized I do not want to be one of the pompous Academic Architects doing "installations" for 12 years anyway. I would rather be doing what I am doing making solid concept oriented, well refined, and cohesive buildings.

It all comes down to you as a person and what you want your career to be, and what you realistically can achieve.

Mar 11, 17 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: