Archinect
anchor

Essential Skills required for Canadian graduate architecture program

smileandshine

Hello Everyone

I am interested to know about your experiences and difficulties faced in M.arch program.

What skills should i brush up before entering in the program ?

I am good with 2D drafting software autocad and other some presentations software like Photoshop and indesign. As far as 3D software are concerned i am not very efficient in that and not at all with rendering. I have always used sketches in my submissions. In my undergraduate thesis also i did a basic google sketch model, printed views and did a detail hand rendering.

Canadian Architecture portfolios are full of rendered images. Is it essential to learn Rhino and others. What other software should i learn ?

Also In M.arch program do you make models with hand or use a 3D printer? And does students have to pay extra for using these services?

What other expense do you have in architectural schools apart from other usual expense.

Also please suggest what are the important tricks to do well in the program

I'm looking forward to your suggestions 

Feb 21, 17 6:43 am
Non Sequitur

Software does not equal architecture or make a good graduate student.  Any one and their grandmother can learn 2D or 3D software.

The ability to think both in abstract and rational ways, solve problems independently, and understand professional practice are key.

Feb 21, 17 8:36 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If you're entering a first-professional M.Arch program then there's typically no expectation that you'll know any software at all.  Some of your classmates will already know a vast variety of software applications and be fabulous modelers and renderers, and some won't.  Some schools run a not-for-credit summer intensive before the first semester starts, to teach whatever basics they feel are critical.  Some schools don't do that, and figure everybody will pick up skills as they go.

Whether 3D printing is important, or even an option, depends on the particular school.  Similarly, whether students are nickel-and-dimed for 3D printing and other expenses, or whether it's built into tuition, also depends on the school. 

These are all questions you should be asking current students of the program you'll be attending.  Call the admissions or department office and ask if they can point you toward a friendly, outgoing student.  Most are happy to oblige.

Feb 21, 17 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: