Archinect
anchor

Architecture for the four legged friend: Our Dog

Leon_ordaz03

How can architecture start to encompass other natural elements besides the human scale? We cannot forget that we are part of the environment. We do not see the environment behind a glass window, we are living in it...

Feb 20, 17 1:11 pm

3 Featured Comments

All 15 Comments

Be a dog for a day?

Feb 20, 17 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Why are we making architecture for a creature, that naturally, lives outdoors? 

If anything, our meddling has screwed with their development enough.  We don't need to be encouraging further adaptation that makes them incapable of surviving in their natural habitat. 

Feb 20, 17 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

a dog's natural habitat is, at this point, indoors. We should design cool houses and spaces for our dogs! Dog tunnels? Double-decker dog sofa? Dog slides? 

Feb 20, 17 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
bowling_ball

I'm incorporating some dog specific design into my own house Reno - specifically that most windows run to the ground.

Actually as an architect I designed a pet - welcome apartment building once, which included interviews with staff at the humane society. Things like window sill heights for cats vs dogs, materials that different animals enjoy or dislike, etc. I love this approach.

Feb 20, 17 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Start with dog toilets please. Having grown up in the countryside, the most horrific thing about city life as far as I can tell is all the dog piss and poop everywhere from the poor urban dogs who are led to neighbor's yards and public places of human recreation to defecate like it's totally natural and welcome and part of life and anyone who thinks otherwise is a dog-hater. I don't hate dogs, just poop.

Feb 21, 17 6:40 am  · 
 · 

These are all very interesting ideas, but I need this conversation to delve in deeper...For example, our relationship with man's best friend goes far beyond any of our lifetime; So what has our society developed to nourish these connections? Look at our shelters, and compare them to those who provide a loving home...Do we need to rescue the homeless dogs, or are we seriously considering dog toilets to answer these very complex connections? 

Feb 21, 17 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

How about you develop your own school project, Mr Bossy Pants? Most of us come here to vent and discuss, not so actual intellectual work.

Feb 21, 17 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

My dad invented a dog toilet.

Feb 21, 17 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Yeah that's called a lawn.

Feb 22, 17 3:58 am  · 
 · 
your conscience

What about architecture for our friend the dog?

Feb 21, 17 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

One of my talented staff members has designed these beautiful modern dog houses.  Get one for your pooch!

http://www.pdworkshop.com

Feb 21, 17 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

My dog loves the couch. It's architecture enough for her.

Feb 22, 17 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
awaiting_deletion

nothing better than educated affluent people worrying about their pets instead of say - humans. because you know, nice people like dogs and worry about homeless dogs but homeless people? nah....this thread is too political for me.

Feb 23, 17 7:14 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

homeless people choose to be poor, homeless and pathetic. homeless dogs can make no such choice.

Feb 23, 17 8:33 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Max, cause people are shit. I like dogs.

Feb 24, 17 7:06 am  · 
 · 
Superfluous Squirrel

We do worry about homeless people:

Feb 24, 17 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: