Archinect
anchor

EU masters portfolio critique

nn1993

Hi, 

I'm on the process of applying for a couple of universities in Europe for my master degree of architecture. 

I sent in this portfolio and got an offer from IOA Vienna and an invitation for an interview at The AA Diploma School soon. I am also applying for KADK and Aarhus in Denmark.

I still have some time to edit my portfolio before i spend money to print the portfolio out for the interview and to pack and send my applications to Denmark. I studied in New Zealand so i find it hard to figure out what the schools and admission panels expect in Europe. Any feedback is really appreciated! 

My Portfolio

Happy new year and thanks heaps. 

Jan 4, 17 11:47 am
paulgermaine
NN thanks for exposing your work. I see very specific intentions with the colors, typography and the narrative. I won't really talk about that because I can see the choices you have made and think they should stay as they are. With that said, my 2 cents are more about ways to refine the layout.

The opening paragraphs are a bit wide. If your critic is unlikely to read them before they will for sure not read it now. I suggest making them narrower and perhaps condense the message or split it for the end. What I find very intriguing about the cover that then got lost on the inside was the clean background with one image. More of this austerity could be nice on the inside and tie your work better. Some spreads have it, others are a bit saturated - but again, certain spreads seem to own this collage well but others need to tease more and not give everything away. I think you have a very specific message to convey. Let less of the work talk for you (if that makes sense). Last, I notice about 5 spreads have items right where the binding would go. If this will only be viewed online by the schools, perfect, but otherwise, consider that editing to help clean up the spreads.

I hope that helps. As another student, I enjoyed the work and wish you the best in the future.
Jan 4, 17 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Very beautiful and poetic work is all I have to say for now after a long day at the office, intend to have a closer look tomorrow morning with a fresh cup of coffee.

Jan 4, 17 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
nn1993

@paulgermaine: Thanks for your feedback. I understand the problems with the layout. I think i struggled in showing/ teasing the amount of works within a 30 page limit. I couldn't figure out how to be minimalist and efficient. Less is More is always a bit harder. But for the interview with the AA, I am allowed to bring a full portfolio with no page limit so i will try my best to make the layout more consistent. For applications in Denmark, they have page limit as well so will try to tease and not give everything away (I have yet to know how though).  

My question when i did it was: like, this is the only chance the admission panel look at your portfolio in hundreds of other portfolios and decide whether they should let you in or not (before the interview stage, of course) and i just wanted to show as many images as possible to give them a 'good' initial impression. It's like you trying too hard to impress someone. 

PS: Also, has anyone had any experience with the AA DiplomaInterview? I have to fly to London to present myself and my portfolio and it seems pretty intimidating and difficult to me. 

Jan 4, 17 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
paulgermaine
When it comes to content quantity, I always see it this way: if I show them this, then they can assume I can do these as well.

Show your best and let them want more. Don't sell yourself out. You are as important to them as a student candidate as they are to you as a school.

My experience for the interview is limited but I did interview at RICE for undergrad. I was not accepted but I would not change anything about how I performed.

I hope this helps! Best of luck.
Jan 4, 17 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
paulgermaine
With that anecdote I meant to advise to go in as informed and prepared and simply be who you are (as cliche as it is) and stay on your toes to seize opportunities that may present themselves.
Jan 4, 17 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
nn1993

@randomised: I'm still patiently waiting for your feedback :D >< 

Jan 8, 17 12:54 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Lost track of the thread but here it goes, with my third morning coffee:

I think the fact you so meticulously document your projects is a great strength. With such a specific design approach and aesthetic it's good to show where it comes from, so people can relate to it beyond face value. The only remark I have is that the projects in all their uniqueness tend to look very similar because of the methods of projection and visualisation so what are the benefits for you when showing those and would they have something extra to add for the place you're applying to? In other words, do all those private projects at the end really show more of your skills, approach or aesthetic? Maybe try showing a spread of construction instead of a single page, it feels a bit lost and disconnected from the rest. Also that you go from construction of a totally different project back to an exhibition of your work that you showed earlier is a bit confusing, I would include the exhibition with the project that's exhibited.

Those are my personal views and opinions. Disclaimer: I never had to apply for university with a portfolio and interview, so can't advise you on that since I only use a portfolio to get myself interviewed for jobs. Good luck!

Jan 9, 17 4:23 am  · 
 · 
nn1993

@randomised: You are right. It's too much of the same thing really (I need to get out of my box more often). I am also ashamed of my construction drawings aha but I have more stuff from practice. Thanks heaps for the feedback. 

Jan 9, 17 6:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: