Archinect
anchor

I don't want to be an architect

ltcvnzl

I have no idea how I end at the Architecture School, but here I am almost at my 3rd year on it. Also, I don't have idea how I get here (specially with good grades). I feel I don't know anything, and I feel extremely demotivated. 

One of the reasons it's that I dislike the practical side of architecture. I enjoy architectural history and theory, but I'm not a fan of designing and I absolutely hate drawing. I don't have any passion or sense of purpose for architecture, I don't believe that I can be a good architect, and I don't feel architecture can do anything good for me.

It just doesn't make any sense to continue, but changing the degree it would be difficult, near impossible. I don't know what to do. I spend a lot of time searching about any other career I could follow with an architecture degree, but I'm still insecure, sometimes I feel hopeless and I'm afraid I'm getting depressed. 

I'm sorry for bringing a personal and irrelevant matter, I just wanted to talk about this with people in the area and I didn't want to open to my colleagues, also I'm not native english speaker, so I'm sorry if the text is somehow confusing. Thanks. 

Dec 17, 16 11:09 am
mantaray

Don't give up hope!  There are LOTS of interesting jobs that are interested in folks with a background in design thinking -- which have nothing whatsoever to do with architecture.  For example, a friend of mine who is a consultant for a mega consulting company that handles art-related businesses is currently interviewing prospects for business consulting that have non-traditional, design-related backgrounds.  So, you never know.

First thing is to talk to your advisor and be straight up honest: say "I do not want to continue in this degree pursuit.  Can we look at what credits I already have and see if there's any other degree I can get out of this university with, without spending WAY too much extra time here?"  If your advisor doesn't have much to offer, then call up the other universities in your area, speak to their advisors and see if it makes sense to transfer into a program elsewhere.

If you absolutely can't mutate your credits into some other degree, then finish up your program as best you can while simultaneously researching other fields that you might be interested in.  Try to get internships in the summers that are more geared toward that other field.  Then, if the other field requires expertise, you might need to pursue a master's or other certificate program (for example, if you want to maybe become a high school history teacher, you would need to get your teaching certificate).

All is not lost -- you have LOTS of time ahead of you, and LOTS of people change their minds and mutate/adapt and conquer.  LIkely, most of what you've already learned will end up benefiting you in some way you may not even realize for years -- even if you never spend another day in the architecture field.  Good luck!  Get out there and make it happen!

Dec 17, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

One of the reasons it's that I dislike the practical side of architecture. I enjoy architectural history and theory, but I'm not a fan of designing and I absolutely hate drawing. I don't have any passion or sense of purpose for architecture, I don't believe that I can be a good architect, and I don't feel architecture can do anything good for me.

You have answered your own question.  You should do something else.  This profession offers very little to someone who doesn't particularly like it.  I felt about the same as you in my second year, but I stuck with it to my everlasting regret.  Don't make my mistake.

Dec 17, 16 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

The best students are the ones that realize that their current major its not what they want and find what is right for them...

Dec 17, 16 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Hate or love architecture, I would highly recommend anyone to take architecture in university over any arts program even though they have no intention to work in architecture.  The skills developed in architecture school can be applied to many different fields, many of which would be impossible to pick up while studying some other program.  With that said, it does depend on what school one attends though.  Some would be a waste of time and money.

Dec 17, 16 1:28 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Have you considered landscape design?   

Dec 17, 16 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  The OP says he's not a fan of designing and hates to draw.  Going into some other design related field doesn't solve the problem.

Dec 17, 16 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

You need to get out now. The profession does not need weaklings or unsure people. This is a profession of the built environment and unless you are proud, enthusiastic and want to make a difference then this is not for you. In addition:

If you think architecture is art, this is not for you.
If you think architecture is cool, because you get to "design", this is not for you.
if you are in architecture because you like color, this is not for you. 

The reason the state of architecture is where it is now is because of people who think this way. get out please

Dec 18, 16 7:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I like colour.

Dec 18, 16 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Sounds like you might be happy teaching art and architectural history or maybe working in the historical preservation field. See the 'national council for preservation education' website for a listing of programs offered by different colleges and universities. I would check with any college's placement office about the success of recent graduates in locating a position before spending a lot of money. But that goes for your present school as well. On the other hand, maybe you are in a shitty program with non-supportive instructors, staff, and fellow students? It doesn't matter how prestigious a college is or isn't, the learning atmosphere can change radically from year to year with the different mix of teachers and students that is formed. If you are having modernism rammed down your throat by a zealot, for example, maybe it's time to change architectural schools.

Dec 18, 16 8:22 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

"The profession does not need weaklings"

Jackass. What does the profession need? Bidness-minded men of action who will git-r-done cheap so that their developer pals can make sky high stacks? Get bent.

Dec 18, 16 9:33 pm  · 
2  · 
geezertect

You need to get out now. The profession does not need weaklings or unsure people. This is a profession of the built environment and unless you are proud, enthusiastic and want to make a difference then this is not for you.

Dirty Harry with a Revit station.

OP:  Don't listen to this pseudo macho bullshit.  It's just a job, like selling shoes.

Dec 18, 16 10:01 pm  · 
3  · 
randomized

" I enjoy architectural history and theory"

Well, there you go, there's your future career. Focus more of your efforts and energy on those subject you enjoy and use them to inform your design projects, if you have to do some design just to get that degree, consider them as necessary evil. Also, if your projects have a solid theoretical foundation that you are proud of and could later possibly even extend into a PhD or something, what would you care if you didn't draw the most sexy sectional details or 3D printed models? FYI, Jean Nouvel graduated with a written thesis/final project without producing a single drawing for it. Good luck!

Dec 19, 16 5:40 am  · 
 · 
bennyc

Bunch of sensitive weaklings on here. The purpose of architecture is to build, what else? You can waste time with your theories or whatever other crap you think is valuable but that's not going to put food on the table or roof over year head. 

Dec 19, 16 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

"The purpose of architecture is to build." Really? Think about it, constructing the building is just one small part of architecture. 

My neighbor is a historic preservationist as related to buildings and landscapes. She works for the Dept of Interior (I think. Edit: i think it's the parks department) and writes papers from home and is pretty pleased with her job. She doesn't go out in the back yard and swear about construction documents like I do. 

Dec 19, 16 11:40 am  · 
 · 
bennyc

Right but she is pleased with her Job, and enjoys what she does in the sense that she contributes to the process of architecture. My comments are directed at people that DO NOT enjoy architecture or know how they ended up in Architecture School. 

Dec 19, 16 11:47 am  · 
 · 
newguy

You need to get out now. The profession does not need weaklings or unsure people. This is a profession of the built environment and unless you are proud, enthusiastic and want to make a difference then this is not for you.

Oh, do calm down.  You're not a soldier.  You're not a badass.  You're just an architect.  Get over yourself.  I've had bosses and co-workers with this mindset, and they NEVER, EVER get the best out of me, because I don't respect them, and their "fall in line" attitude makes me roll my eyes and look for other opportunities.  In contrast, the team members who are genuinely collaborative and respectful always get my best efforts.

To the OP, I'd suggest this.  If you like history and theory, have you considered urban planning?  It may have the broader appeal that you crave and with less "design" work involved.  Plus, you'll have the added benefit of pissing off architects like bennyc when you tell him his ground-floor retail space isn't as active as it should be.

Dec 19, 16 12:31 pm  · 
2  · 
randomized

If the purpose is only to build, there would be no need for architecture. The majority of our built environment has very little to do with architecture. I bet architectural theory and architectural history have more to do with architecture than your built buildings ;-)

Dec 19, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

Randomized, you keep ASSuming and that makes an ASS out of you. Stop being a Jackass, and you said it yourself: majority of our built environment has very little to do with architecture. - because of people like you who fantasize about history and theory and are clueless about the real world and what architecture means. 

stay clueless my friend

Dec 19, 16 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

ltcvnzl

You have no idea how you ended up in architecture school?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urpIqEr5g30

Dec 19, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

bennyc, I responded to the OP who doesn't want to design or build but is still in architecture school and has an affinity towards theory and history. If you don't get it that theory and history are a fundamental part of architecture and future careers for architecture students, that's your problem, if that makes me a jackass, so be it. Just keep building your buildings, no big deal. I thought this was ARCHInect, not skyskrapercity or something, maybe you're the one who's clueless...

Dec 20, 16 3:37 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

What is it about some architects that makes them believe they are some benevolent being? It's just another job...

Dec 20, 16 9:22 am  · 
 · 
randomized

"What is it about some architects that makes them believe they are some benevolent being?"

God only knows, but since God is in the details...

Dec 20, 16 9:51 am  · 
1  · 
Robert Yuen

More than Happy to chat with anyone about this. I did my M.Arch at Michigan and an MSc. at Michigan and now I'm a partner at design/digital agency and the co-founder of Monograph.io 

Don't let the idea of learning Architecture dictate that you have to be an Architect. No one knows where life can take you. 

Dec 20, 16 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
madalenaantunes

Hi! I'm in the exact same situation as you are, witch is really weird because people keep asking me " if you don't like architecture why did you go to architecture school?".... Keep in mind, it's a really good question, but by the time you leave high-school and you don't have any particular subject you are interested about, you have to pick something right? So architecture it was, and I'm at the start of my 3th year, depressed as hell, still waiting to like it eventually... 

I don't know what to do really... But I guess I'm going to give up, even tho I don't have any idea what I'm gonna do next. I just know I can't make myself feel passionate about this for another year 

Sep 25, 21 8:46 am  · 
 · 
JAK-90825
Just FYI - as I learned - you know nothing about Architectural practice until you have at least 4 - 5 years under your belt working for a firm. What you learn in school is maybe 5% of what you will deal with in reality.

I say stick with it and come out on the other end and look into being an academic with the history and theory portion or come out into the industry. Maybe talk with some developers or even construction groups - hell, you could even find a specialization as a consultant. Point is - the industry is very broad. You will come out of school skilled enough to jump into a variety of jobs. Keep your mind open and take in the design thinking you are learning their to open up your vision of the future to find opportunities. Get it!
Sep 25, 21 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

So, move on and good luck.  There are lots of degrees out there and professions that follow.

Sep 28, 21 9:14 am  · 
 · 
bennyc

What makes you think choosing something else will make you  happy? at least you chose architecture and that's at least a decision you made. 

School is just that, schooling. Real world and architecture is as broad profession with many facets of specialties and possibilities to branch to other fields. 

Sep 28, 21 10:19 am  · 
 · 
calico

Talk to your advisor and see what other majors your credits can work with.

Have you done an internship in architecture? I can tell you real practice is very little design, it's mostly documentation and construction admin. You may find you like those phases.

Sep 28, 21 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I have said before on this site but Architecture is great design education  doesn't mean you have to design buildings.  There is a great doc on Tinker Hatfield the main shoe designer at Nike..Air Jordans etc. who trained as an architect but had a wonderful career as a shoe designer. Seemed to do okay ... Cool dude too!

Sep 30, 21 8:12 pm  · 
1  · 
sarasen

move on to something else. get into tech. you don't even need a degree, just do a bootcamp. there is a shortage in tech. Tech encompasses a lot of stuff, not just programming.

Oct 8, 21 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: