Archinect
anchor

2017 Rankings

archietechie

http://arch-student.com/pin/the-best-architecture-schools-in-the-u-s-2017-archdaily/ So...are rankings still a good gauge for education? I've never heard of Auburn till now tbh.

Dec 13, 16 4:01 am
Non Sequitur
Meh, rankings are only important to those who think the name on the degree is the only important thing.

Show me a list of the top ten schools that produce students able to draft a dozen unique wall sections and plan details for CD without complaining or having their delicate special snowflake feelings hurt. That's a list worth hanging your hat on.
Dec 13, 16 7:43 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Being able to draft a bunch of wall sections is useless without developing the ability to understand why.  Most of my education was based around learning to be analytical and to evaluate and understand the why.  Drafting is a mechanical act.  Students need to develop a mindset that lets them understand things, not just repeating mechanical acts. 

So, on the whole, I am going to disagree with Non on this one. 

Dec 13, 16 8:05 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^article says best prepared students for success in the profession.

Analytical thinking is a given, applying it to the everyday tasks of the profession is not so obvious.

Dec 13, 16 8:12 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

^ Girls, you both are talented and pretty :), granted one's of u's is a bit more cynical.

Dec 13, 16 10:08 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Which one!?!?!?!

Dec 13, 16 10:12 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

do I have to say it? ;D

Dec 13, 16 11:06 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

I suppose it's also important to note that beyond academia, networks/alumni societies play an important role for the candidate's job hunt. I mean, that's the whole point right. to get hired?

Dec 13, 16 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

>writes article about architecture programs

>lead picture is a landscape architecture studio 

Dec 13, 16 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ I believe its from GSD?

Dec 13, 16 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

yes, it is from the GSD.  but its a picture of a landscape architecture studio section

Dec 13, 16 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Rankings come and go what projects you get to have in your portfolio will last longer and have more impact on your career. Always look at the projects in the studios and ask yourself if this is something you want in your portfolio. If your passion is affordable housing then go to Auburn and get into Rural studio, if you want something else then go find it. Schools will take up a significant amount of time and money and you should visit campuses and take your time to research and evaluate carefully. Don't rush, GRE scores have a shelf life but it is more than 8 months, find out what is going on and consider carefully. If you need a year off to do this that is probably a good idea.

Choosing a school should be a courtship not a shotgun wedding or a prearranged marriage. Rankings are a popularity contest and don't represent the whole picture or what the ranking will be when you graduate.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Dec 13, 16 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Rankings are only important if you wish to use the same criteria; DesignIntelligence surveys professionals (see below).

The professional practice survey posed participants the question, “In your firm’s hiring experience in the past five years, which schools are best preparing students for a future in the profession and designing a sustainable future?” In addition, practitioners are asked about which programs are best in teaching skills such as design, communication, sustainability, and technology. The rankings are based on their responses.

In my humble opinion, their ranking is a popularity ranking. 

Instead, use your own criteria to determine which is the best program for you -- reputation, size, opportunities, faculty, location, etc.

p.s. Auburn is a very good program but each NAAB accredited program is very good in its own right.

Dr. Architecture

Dec 15, 16 5:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: