Archinect
anchor

Is part 2 RIba equivalent to M.Arch in the UK?

acegik

I am doing some job searching in the UK (I do have the legal requirements to work there). I have a M.Arch. degree. Can anyone comment on whether I would be considered for a position in the UK that is posted as Part 2 RIBA Architectural Assistant? Portfolio, resume and etc aside just based on this qualification would an UK employer consider an M.Arch. degree equivalent to Part 2 RIBA/ not dismiss my application just based on that?

Dec 9, 16 12:57 pm
AdrianFGA

@acegik 

An M.Arch. is <> as Part 2 RIBA - see an example here.

I assume the school from which you got your M. Arch is not in the UK?. If the school is not recognized, long-term you must start with your Part 2 exemption. Short-term, you can apply for those jobs now, you might pique the interest of an employer who puts potential before paperwork, but your chances of getting hired will be lower.

The ARB is the main regulator of qualifications required, If you wish to get the exemption, start by contacting the ARB, they will let you know exactly how to proceed. The RIBA also has a small say, as it is accrediting courses through a validation procedure which is jointly held with the ARB - link here

This is the list of international schools recognised by the RIBA - hopefully your school is on the list.

Dec 9, 16 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Funny how that list doesn't include the other 4 anglo-saxon countries.

Dec 9, 16 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
acegik

Thank you for your reply, AdrianFGA, I will look into that.

archietechie, yes, it would have been great if the other four are on the list since that is where I got my degree...

Dec 9, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
TED

International Validated RIBA programmes are not ARB approved so you still need to apply for Part 1, Part 2 then sit Part 3.

You're best to apply to a practice that works globally such as HOK, Gensler, etc., as they understand both are equiv.  If you need a visa, tough going right now.  Again, better to start working at a US office with UK office then get transferred -

Dec 10, 16 11:52 am  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

^ You are unfortunately correct. Although the RIBA and ARB are holding common criteria for validation, ARB does not recognise qualifications outside the UK or EU, even those schools which are RIBA validated. Didn't realise this restriction exists.

Dec 12, 16 2:00 am  · 
 · 
TED

Protectionism......

US (NY specifically) first refused to recognised RIBA/ARB qualifications without significant cost, application and time, UK then rescinded any recognition.  

I can understand the final stages (NCARB exam - RIBA Part 3) has to be done in US/UK, but having practiced in both countries the professional qualifications of the final degrees should be recognized by both counties.

Nuts. 

Dec 13, 16 8:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: